Barr: Barr slams Bush, Palin and the GOP in Athens

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
10-28-2008 08:04 AM
Blake Aued from the Athens Banner-Herald was on hand at the University of Georgia yesterday as Bob took some shots at the Republican Party:

Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, a self-described &#8220;hockey mom,&#8221; is not qualified to be president, former Georgia Republican congressman Bob Barr said Monday.

&#8220;I was a soccer dad,&#8221; Barr said, speaking at the University of Georgia. &#8220;I don&#8217;t think that qualifies me to be president.&#8221;

Barr, running for president as a Libertarian, ridiculed the idea that Palin is ready to take over for John McCain if the 72-year-old died.
[...]
Barr picked on Palin relentlessly throughout his talk, but saved some of his ire for President Bush.

Bush presided over perhaps the largest expansion of executive power in American history and believes he has almost unlimited ability to act as commander-in-chief, Barr said. Bush&#8217;s theory of presidential power is known as the &#8220;unitary executive.&#8221;

&#8220;Other countries have a less fancy word for it,&#8221; Barr said. &#8220;It&#8217;s called &#8216;dictatorship.&#8217; &#8221;

Congress hasn&#8217;t lived up to its duty to oversee and check the president, so prosecutors should investigate whether members of the Bush Administration abused their power by spying on Americans without court orders, Barr said.

&#8220;I think there have been some very, very serious violations in the past several years,&#8221; he said.

Barr, who is polling at about 2 percent, acknowledged that he virtually has no chance to win while speaking to reporters after his talk, and said he is running to build up and draw attention to the Libertarian Party.

He predicted that Democrat Barack Obama would win Georgia and the presidency.

Many thanks of you who came out to hear Bob speak. He&#8217;ll be in North Carolina today and back in Georgia tomorrow. I&#8217;ll post details for those events later.

ShareThis

More...
8.jpg

Latest Discussions