BALINTAWAK: Does Anyone Have Info?

J

Joe Eccleston

Hello all:

I just recently read something about a group called Balintawak in another forum. I am new to Filipino Martial arts, but I have been training in other arts for 15 years now. I was very intrigued of what I read about this art, and would like to know more. If anyone out there can provide any further information about training and good instructors qualified to teach this system, I would be grateful. Thank you.

--- Joe

(p.s.-- if there has already been a post about this subject I truly apologize, as I am also new to this forum)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is an interview in MartialTalk Magazine with GM Ted Buot. The first part is in the free July 2003 issue which you can download from http://www.martialtalk.com/magazine/archives/index.htm

Several members here study the art, and actively train with GM Buot. I'll let them go into the details as I can't adequately describe it yet. :)

OP
J

Joe Eccleston

Great!!! I love this forum... quick and very informative. Thanks, Kaith...

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Balintawak as Manong Ted teaches is kind of "closed door" in the sense that you have to be invited through a recomendation, lessons are at Manongs home, and you have to demonstrate some level of commitment to be accepted and to be able to continue as a student. He is also the only one who teaches Anciong Bacon's original style.

There are other Balintawak programs out there that may be very good for you to go check out, though. If you let us know where you are located, perhaps someone can refer you to a qualified instructor.

Paul Janulis
Balintawak student
Freelance writer
Author and interviewer in linked article

OP
J

Joe Eccleston

Ah...L.A.....that answers my question in the other thread!
coolyellow.gif

Yes, Manong Ted Buot is the real deal. Unfortunatily, I don't believe we have anyone from his lineage teaching in L.A..

However, there might be something nearby of a different lineage. We'll see if Rich Parsons, Renegade, or Toasty (all Balintawak students under Manong Ted) can interject some more information.

Thank you so much, Paul... and a pleasure meeting you. Hopefully, there is Balintawak here in Los Angeles also.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Joe Eccleston said:
Hello all:

I just recently read something about a group called Balintawak in another forum. I am new to Filipino Martial arts, but I have been training in other arts for 15 years now. I was very intrigued of what I read about this art, and would like to know more. If anyone out there can provide any further information about training and good instructors qualified to teach this system, I would be grateful. Thank you.

--- Joe

(p.s.-- if there has already been a post about this subject I truly apologize, as I am also new to this forum)
Joe,

Welcome to Martial Talk.

Where did you read your information?

As the other thread and Paul and others have stated, there are mutiple family lineages.

GM Anciong Bacon taught Balintawak, in the Back room of a watch repair shop on Balintawak street in Cebu City, Cebu P.I.

Many people who use the term balintawak can trace their training back this location.

Here is a partial List, it is by no means complete.

Delfin Lopez (Deceased) School in Mambaling District
Timor Maranga (Deceased) School in Pasil
Joe Villasin (Deceased) School in Downtown Cebu
Toto Mongcal (Deceased) Left Handed Introduced Remy Presas to Timor Maranga
Remy Presas (Deceased) Left Handed Ambidextrious - Founder of Modern Arnis

All of the above were direct students of GM Anciong Bacon (Deceased) at one time and also have either used or had the title of GM bestowed by their peers or students.

Some of the more well known students of Joe Villasin follow:

Pilo Vilez (Deceased) School in Downtown Cebu
Bobby Taboada School in Downtown Cebu ( Now USA)

Bobby Taboada started as a student of Pilo Vilez and also trained with Joe Villasin and even Anciong Bacon. Taboada uses the title of GM.
Sam Buot also is in Pheonix Arizona. Sam Buot is a realtive to Ted Buot. Sam has trained with the Taboada lineage. Sam Buot refers to those within the Manong Ted Buot Lineage to be purists. (* Sam Buot's words from his website *)

Dom Lopez (Deceased?) School in Vancouver Canada
Mike Zimmer School in Vancouver Canada
(* Mike has a nice website / Lots of information *)

Ted Buot Balintawak Club in Cebu School in Southfield Mi. U.S.A
Manong (GM) Ted Buot was the only student of GM Anciong Bacon's to teach at the original club and also given free permission to teach everyting he had. Ted Buot prefers the title of Manong whihc is a simple term of respect for an elder. It is myself and his students that have used the term GM.

(* I forgot to add this *)
Toro Sanchez Ted Buot’s Brother-in-law Teaching in Cebu

Many of Manong Ted's Students are here on this site.

There is also Ising Atillo who uses the title GM and teh term Balintawak to describe what he uses. Different stories exist on who taught who. I think the one most publiscized is that he learned it from his father who learned it from the Savaadres.

The Savvadres and Bacon and the Canetes were all members of a Fencing Club, before WWII. After WWII, Bacon and possible some others did not re-join with the Canetes and the Doces Pares.

Now, there will always be pride in what people train in. Yet, I think if anyone has the ability to train with anyone of these people or their lineage then this is good.

As to Balintawak in L.A. I am not sure. I know Ising is out in California, and so are some fo those from the Canete lineage, including Ramon Rubia (* A member here *) They may not be doing Balintawak per se, yet, am sure you shoudl be able to find something to learn from them. I will check around in my e-mails and onthe web to see if I can help you out.

If you are in SE Michigan e-mail me and let me know.

:asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yea...me too (if your in Michigan let ME know. Screw that Rich guy! :uhyeah: lol).

Seriously, aside from messing with Rich, I found someone by the name of Rick Mitchell - Los Angeles, CA; he is listed as an instructor from Toboadas lineage: http://www.worldbalintawak.com/instructors.html

I have no idea what he, or any of these other guys are teaching to give an endorsement or not. Yet, it might be worth checking out.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Joe Eccleston said:
Thank you so much, Paul... and a pleasure meeting you. Hopefully, there is Balintawak here in Los Angeles also.

Hi Joe.

I've had a fair amount of training in Balintawak from GM Bobby Taboada's lineage.

I know Guro Dan Inosanto was (and, as far as I know, still is) training with Ising Atillo in Balintawak. I don't know if Ising is in L.A. or not but you might try calling the Inosanto Academy - you can find contact info at http://www.inosanto.com - and telling them that you're interested in studying Balintawak and were wondering if they know of any Balintawak instructors/school in the L.A. area. They can probably help you one way or another.

Mike

OP
J

Joe Eccleston

Thanks, Mike, Rich and Paul...

This is alot of info... so, my leads here in L.A. are Manong Ising Atillo and Mr. Rick Mitchell (I assume he's not Filipino?) who are bonafide Balintawak.

and I'll look into Manong Ramon Rubia and Manong Dan Inosanto for further info if necessarry.

This word Manong, I assume means Sir in Filipino? I actually prefer this, than calling everyone Grand Master So and So, it seems everyone is a grandmaster these days. I like this word--humble and respectful, yet distinctly Filipino.

Thank you again, fellas... and I'll keep you abreast. And thank you for your Michigan invite. if i'm ever around there, I promise to get in touch.

Joe..........

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Joe Eccleston said:
This word Manong, I assume means Sir in Filipino? I actually prefer this, than calling everyone Grand Master So and So, it seems everyone is a grandmaster these days. I like this word--humble and respectful, yet distinctly Filipino.

Joe..........

The word "manong" is a term of respect for an elder. Kind of like "sir" here in America but doesn't translate directly into "sir." In fact, I believe the direct translation is "hand" - or, at least, the root word "mano" means "hand." But, as far as I know, "sir" is the closest translation.

Mike

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know for sure. I didn't know about the word until I started hanging out with Cebuanos. At first I thought it was something like Mama in tagalog (Mister). But it seems to be used to refer to old people or parents of your friends, etc. eg people who deserve your respect as your elder.

The following link is a bisaya webpage. If you click on Vocabulary you get a bisaya english dictionary. Try it out.

http://www.bisaya.com/homepage.html

A lot of teachers prefer to have you simply use their given name if you're close to their age. But it depends on the instructor.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Joe Eccleston said:
Thanks, Mike, Rich and Paul...

This is alot of info... so, my leads here in L.A. are Manong Ising Atillo and Mr. Rick Mitchell (I assume he's not Filipino?) who are bonafide Balintawak.

Careful with the words "bonafide." Unfortunatily, the only "bonifide" Balintawak as taught by the creator of the style (Anciong Bacon) that is left is from the Buot Lineage.

However, this doesn't mean that these other versions of Balintawak, other lineages, or these other styles/instructors aren't good. I can say that I have seen GM Bobby Toboada on tape and I can attest that he personally is very good. However, I have not seen Atillo or Mitchell to endorse them. These are just some suggestions that might be worth checking out. Also, don't rule out someone from the Canete (Doce Pares) or Presas (Modern Arnis) lineage just because they don't sport the Balintawak name. The Canete's and Anciong Bacon had the same instructor (Saavadre family lineage, even though they learned different things), and Modern Arnis single cane work is greatly influenced by Balintawak. The most important thing is finding a good instructor!

Keep us updated, and let us know your impressions and what you are able to find.

PAUL

OP
J

Joe Eccleston

Update and Question:

I've emailed Mr. Atillo's website to inquire about training with him. The website seems pretty bare, and the response I got seem uninterested. But, frankly, I don't think these folks know of Mr. Atillo's whereabouts. So, I will try contacting the Inosanto Academy for further info.

I've gotten the contact info for Mr. Mitchell via email from the website you guys gave me. But, I'd like to hold off contacting him until I first meet up with Mr. Atillo (hopefully). But, if I still can't contact Mr. Atillo, then I'll just go with Mr. Mitchell.

Now, my question. Can you guys give me pointers on how to judge if Mr. Mitchell is really well verse in Balintawak? What should I be looking out for, as far as training method or application of techniques? I don't want to pay to train how to twirl a stick, which I've been told is very rampant among FMA schools. This is the reason I became interested in Balintawak. Their "no non-sense" approach (from what I've so far read).

Thanks in advance...

OP
R

Rocky

Joe, if you are looking for, a Balintawak guy in L.A (East) you may wanna checkout Rick Mitchell, Rick was an early student of GM Presas, late 70s to about late 80s, he I beleave has a litle bit og Moncols Balintawak, from Remy. However he is a high Ranking student of GM Tobaoda, I know Rick and know him to be quite efficiant at what he does, we haven't talke in about 13 years, it was one of those two guys and the same girl situations if you know what I mean, Iknow chalk it up to being youn and dumb you know, anyways check him out tell him I said hi. I also have a student out their in the Military I will try to find out how to get a hold of him he teaches CDM and Modified (Moncols) Balintawak under me, if I can find out how to contact him I will post it soon. Also I beleave Dom Lopez has some ungrouped Villiasons people out their in South Central.

Good Luck
Rocky

OP
J

Joe Eccleston

thanks, rocky...

I'm still waiting to see if i can meet GM Atillo first, but i already have Mr. Mitchell's contact number. and i was told there's another guy out here in L.A. from GM Velez' lineage. so, hopefully i'll meet them all by next week.

i was wondering (from the other thread), what is abecedario?

OP
C

Cuentada

Joe,

Please check your private messages.

Best regards,
Cuentada

Joe Eccleston said:
thanks, rocky...

I'm still waiting to see if i can meet GM Atillo first, but i already have Mr. Mitchell's contact number. and i was told there's another guy out here in L.A. from GM Velez' lineage. so, hopefully i'll meet them all by next week.

i was wondering (from the other thread), what is abecedario?

OP
R

Rocky

With all due respect, but enquireing minds would like to know, I see that GM Atillos (sp) art is called Balintawak but gives credit to the Saavedra Brothers and not GM Bacon?? Now from GM Presas and GM Buot, Gm Cocoy, Tom Bisio ( Linage holder for Momoy Cannete') it is my understanding that the Saavedra art was primarily stick and dager hence the development of Doce' Pares by the Cannete's of course they added their flair over the years. GM Bacon was the only one of the three ( Momoy and Yoling) that was tought a single stick version because he kept poking other students with his knife, and that is why their is such a difference between Balintawak and Doce Pares. Momoy in his later years went back to the traditional way of his instructors, the Saavedra brothers, and called the art San Migil. Which is currently run by Tom Bisio.

So does GM Atilla art use single stick or stick and dagger?

Thanks in advance

Latest Discussions