Back After 15 years away.

colinmatchett

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I received a 1st dan in karate in 1989 after about 4 years of training. I trained for another couple of years but college, career, marriage, and kids resulted in me eventually giving up training.

This past few months, my 9 year old son wanted to join Tae Kwon Do because one his friends from school is a jr. black belt and is quite accomplished in the competitive arena. So my son joined and loved it and I started getting the bug to start training again. So, a month ago I joined as well.

The Tae Kwon Do training has been wonderful. I am slowly getting back into shape. The flexibility is the big thing since I have not stretched in so many years. It is amazing though that after 15 years, the kicks, blocks, punches, and sparring combinations that I practiced for hours and hours and hours as a young man are still there and I can still kick quite fast and accurate. We did some sparring last week and the blocks and reverse punches are still there too. I have been stretching everyday to get the flexibility back and I am already seeing a difference just after one month.

The tae kwon do instructor is a 4th dan and was former national competitor here in Canada and does both traditional and olympic tae kwon do classes. I have been going to every class I can and also having a wonderful time seeing my son develop his skills. My 7 year old recently joined as well and my four year old is anxious to start when he turns 5.

I have been reading the posts on this site and have been enjoying them. I just wanted to say hi to everyone and wish everyone the best for 2008.

Colin

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome back to the martial arts, and to the site! :wavey:

Keep us up on how you and your son are doing.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome back all around!

Say, we have an area on the board called "Meet and Greet" for posts like yours - do you mind if I move this over there? You'll get a board-wide welcome there. :D

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Colin, welcome to MT, and welcome back to the martial arts :)

Latest Discussions