Ax kick ? Crescent kick ?

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Because I usually throw this kick while i'm moving, I prefer the outside axe kick. This is the kick where you begin on the inside line, and kick in a semi-circle outwards. It's just easier for me to shift my hips in this kick, atleast while moving. For example, when you are side-stepping.:asian:

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll use an outside to inside crescent as a setup for side kick. I just let the natural momentum of the kick pivot, and rechamber the leg for the side kick. Will usually take the opponent off-guard, since it looks like I've missed and overshot.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know this is an old post, so let me know if you read this. In a crescent kick, you should be trying to use your hips. first moving them toward the kick than useing them to push from with your leg as you contact, which would force your hips to go back the other way. I know that sounds confusing, but basically try to force your hips into the kick before contact.

With the axe kick, you should arch your back. Do not lean forward and rely on weight, arch backward and use the muscles in your back, hips and leg to pull downward. again, sounds complicated, but just remember to arch at point of contact.

Bushi40

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
crescent kick is where the side of the foot becomes the attack
and ax kick is a crescent kick but where the heel id coming in a downward motion as coming down on the top of the head or shoulder arm etc.