Awareness Training (While Blindfolded)

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am a Ninpo/Modern Combatives instructor. Here is a video of my assistant instructor and I facing off against each other in a blind folded drill during a workshop about a year back. I am in the green gi closer to the camera. A little bit of context: this type of training is referred to as "anchuken" which is a type of training utilized to help people hone their senses. It's not always blind folded or in the dark as there are various ways to perform these kinds of drills, but in this instance, the idea of this drill is to learn to trust all your senses except sight. The rules are each participant begins on opposite sides after getting spun around X number of times. Both participants are handed belts which they have to use to tag the other person just once to get them out. Everyone watching does their best to remain as quiet as possible. The round is over when one person tags the other with their belt.

I just discovered this section of the forum so I thought I would share something.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Watching them blindfold you and spin you around before starting reminded me of similar drills that I trained as a child. But they involved donkey tails and piñatas and always ended with candy. :D

IMO blindfolded training involving various forms of contact training such as clinch-work, grappling, and blindfolded chi-sau are very useful.

I'm not so sure about stalking opponents in a darkened room, but then I've developed a hearing loss over the years and since having COVID, I don't smell my training partners as strongly as I used too ...and frankly, that's a blessing! ;)

Last edited:

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
We do a two man drill called tapi tapi with both stick and knife and we often do it blindfolded. Great sensitivity and reaction drill.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Watching them blindfold you and spin you around before starting reminded me of similar drills that I trained as a child. But they involved donkey tails and piñatas and always ended with candy. :D
But it wasnt a drill. It was kids game.

OP
Yamabushii

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score

IMO blindfolded training involving various forms of contact training such as clinch-work, grappling, and blindfolded chi-sau are very useful.

I'm not so sure about stalking opponents in a darkened room, but then I've developed a hearing loss over the years and since having COVID, I don't smell my training partners as strongly as I used too ...and frankly, that's a blessing! ;)

We also do blind folded grappling. I have an issue with my hearing as well but unfortunately my sense of smell has gotten stronger :dead:

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Too bad MMA wasn't around sooner. I wonder if he would have trained the same way.
No idea but I remember he spoke later on about mma in a positive light...he had a little argument with the Gracies too ,& they were supposed to fight. Not really sure what happened.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Only ever really seen it in WT @ 1:20
No, it is very common ...well at least it used to be a common way to practice in WT/WC/VT back in the 80s and 90s.

We only donned blindfolds for demos though. In routine training one partner just shuts his eyes. The other keeps his eyes open so you don't slam into something. I suppose you could cheat but why? I mean it was training, right? You are trying to get better. Besides, you quickly discover that once contact is made, you don't really need your eyes.

My old sifu, LT, did warn us not to do this "overmuch" since visual clues need to be trained as well, even when you are in contact with your opponent.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But it wasnt a drill. It was kids game.
Tell that to the donkey!

...and as far as piñatas go, check this one out:

1664132188893.png

The "Bob" dummy has nothing on the "Bruce"! Heck he even has "Chucks!"

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We do a two man drill called tapi tapi with both stick and knife and we often do it blindfolded. Great sensitivity and reaction drill.
With a knife? A blunt trainer I hope!

...I'd love to see a videoclip!!! :)

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
, it is very common ...well at least it used to be a common way to practice in WT/WC/VT back in the 80s and 90s.
Yes I saw it in the 90s. Not sure if it's done nowadays by the EWTO...kernsprecht's "Blitz defence " 🙄

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Push hands does it blind folded. I've done it a couple of time. Just to see what it's like. Sensitivity training is a good thing. I will want to ask the MMA guy to do push hands with me, but will gain what I gain.
No idea but I remember he spoke later on about mma in a positive light...he had a little argument with the Gracies too ,& they were supposed to fight. Not really sure what happened.
Maybe he went a few rounds with someone from the BJJ camp and just didn't say.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe he went a few rounds with someone from the BJJ camp and just didn't say.
Doubt it. He was a bit cocky as a younger guy but could back it up. I saw Interviews where he spoke about insults going back and forward with them. To be fair I've never seen the Gracies comments on it so I don't know.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not exactly. MMA changed the game for everybody. But chi sau? It is still useful. Check out coaches like Alan Orr.
Alan Orr looks like his training is MMA informed.

By this I simply mean that it is shaped with the experience of having to fight someone who who has fought againt mma.

Last edited:

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am a Ninpo/Modern Combatives instructor. Here is a video of my assistant instructor and I facing off against each other in a blind folded drill during a workshop about a year back. I am in the green gi closer to the camera. A little bit of context: this type of training is referred to as "anchuken" which is a type of training utilized to help people hone their senses. It's not always blind folded or in the dark as there are various ways to perform these kinds of drills, but in this instance, the idea of this drill is to learn to trust all your senses except sight. The rules are each participant begins on opposite sides after getting spun around X number of times. Both participants are handed belts which they have to use to tag the other person just once to get them out. Everyone watching does their best to remain as quiet as possible. The round is over when one person tags the other with their belt.

I just discovered this section of the forum so I thought I would share something.

You already spammed reddit with this. We all did it as kids with pin the tail on the donkey and blind mans buff. Now you want adults to do it?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doubt it. He was a bit cocky as a younger guy but could back it up. I saw Interviews where he spoke about insults going back and forward with them. To be fair I've never seen the Gracies comments on it so I don't know.
The short short version is he said the Gracies were all about money and not honorable, they called him a chicken.

He was going to do a Gracie challenge and then the scheduling didn't work out.

Keep in mind this is after he had already dealt drama with a certain Wing Chun lineage. Who needs this kind of stuff in their lives.

He had the skills though. Seeing him fight Royce Gracie, who knows who would have won? That would have been a really cool fight.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The short short version is he said the Gracies were all about money and not honorable, they called him a chicken.

He was going to do a Gracie challenge and then the scheduling didn't work out.

Keep in mind this is after he had already dealt drama with a certain Wing Chun lineage. Who needs this kind of stuff in their lives.

He had the skills though. Seeing him fight Royce Gracie, who knows who would have won? That would have been a really cool fight.
I'm glad he eventually went his own way & left the EWTO. He definitely was good as was gracie, who knows.

Latest Discussions