Armor

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just wondering the other day... many styles claim to have origins in the battlefield, so I was curious if styles frequently incorperate traditional armor?

Another question. Outside of the military, does anyone practice with modern style armor? Including helmets, kevlar, etc... Does anyone use such protection on a regular basis? I suppose alot of LEOs would. How would wearing such protection alter range of motion and the application of self defense techniques?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AS to the first part of you question, I saw a website of a jujitsu school somewhere in New England that would practice their techniques in Samurai Armor.

As to the second part, while in the Army, I practiced that stuff a lot. LEO's train a lot that way, and I'm sure some of them here will respond.

Jeff

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know of one of the arts that I am in right now, they are working on training the canadian military how to fight with their gear on.

I guess what they're finding out down in Afganistan is the fact that they are going into these peacekeeping camps and sitting down to have tea and dispute about who owns who's goat, then as they're talking someone attacks the solider from the other side of the room. I'm not sure about other countries but our guys carry about 80lbs in gear, therefore when their on their backs its basically playing turtle and hard to get up.
So I know that they're working on some new material in order to deal with these problems and introducing it to the Canadian Military, but I'm not sure what the American army is doing.

I'm with you on the traditional samuri armour, that would be something cool to look into.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll poke around and see if I can find that website again. It's been a couple of years since I've looked at it.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wear my vest on a daily basis (when at work) and train with it on pretty regularly. You get used to it. It doesn't really inhibit movement all that much, you're a bit stiff in the torso. It adds five or ten pounds weight to you, then with a duty belt that might weigh 20 pounds or so, you have to get used it. Its important to position stuff on your belt so that you don't land on it, or have it prevent you from bending too much. I don't regularly wear a helmet though. I'm sure that active military practices with heavier, or more gear.

Latest Discussions