Anyone heard of...

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
....Erin Weed? http://www.erinweed.com/html/bio.html

She s coming to my company Friday to give a talk on How to Be A bad Victim and at the end will give a SD demo...

The program blurb from my company....
Topics covered by this program include how to be a hard target of crime, how to secure homes from break-ins, how to detect violent people, and strategies for responding in a dangerous situation. Weed concludes the program with a self-defense demonstration anyone can use in a confrontation.

Erin Weed is a professional speaker, author, and violence prevention advocate, and self-defense instructor. She specializes in educating people about their personal safety and motivating them to become their own best protectors. Weed has been featured on CNN, in the New York Times, the Washington Post and numerous other newspapers, magazines, television and radio shows.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No... and having glanced (admittedly quickly) over the bio at the link you provided, she's taken a few seminars, and not much else. Could be good, could be bad... I'll be interested to hear about what she comes up with.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Me either but she does have a very impressive Bio. I also would be interested in what she does, says and how she teaches it and your opinion on the whole thing. Thanks

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I heard good things about Girls Fight Back when I was doing SD for women out of the Y in Michigan.

I had a few girls come in and refer to that place and it was all good.

I'd be interested to know as well.

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL...guess this means I have to attend :) hehe....I will have to miss some of it, but will do my best to see at much of it as possible and give an opinion...

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
For anyone interested.....

It was one of the better self defense talks I've been to. It was given at my company, but I think it general it is tailored more towards the college crowd. She did more than just go over the: check your car before you get in, walk with your head up, pay attention to what is around you shtick...
One of the things I liked most was she made it clear that you should seek out more training, not just assume that cause you went to this seminar you were good and talked about needing to practise and muscle memory and she made it clear that her defense recommendations were made for a weaponless attacker that when a weapon comes into play things change (which is something I find most of these seminars gloss over). She also spoke about using surroundings as weapons....pens, flashlights, books phones...
And in her demo talked about using the attackers weaknesses (groin, eyes, knees...) to your strengths (elbows, knees, feet....) which again I felt was better than most. Though I don't necessarily agree with every detail she said overall as a general how to stop an attack, I think it was probably a good starting point...and might end up buying her book for a friend...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me either but she does have a very impressive Bio.
She does? She started training in 2001, and started teaching in 2002. I'm with Kacey. It looks like she's had a few seminars.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Erin’s physical self-defense and security training is ongoing. She is a certified instructor by the American Women’s Self Defense Association as well as a certified R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense) Instructor. She is a graduate of Street Smart Self Defense for Women and Prepare Inc. (IMPACT) in New York City. She is also a certified Confined Area Survival Tactics instructor by the Modern Warrior Academy and a Certified Personal Trainer by the National Academy of Sports Medicine. Just a few types of intensive training she has received includes: car jacking situations, multiple assailant attacks, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Krav Maga, knives & edged weapons defense and firearms training. Erin is a graduate of the prestigious Gavin de Becker & Associates Advanced Threat Assessment Academy. Her Academy training includes: Advanced Concepts of Violence Prediction and Assessment, Intuition Studies, Terrorism, School Shootings, Criminal Profiles, Creative Case Management, Bomb Threat Assessment, Risk Management Development, Managing Victim Fear and Violence in the Workplace.
Let's take a look at the specifics:

AWSDA Certified Rape Prevention Instructor - a one-day cert
RAD - Last time I looked it was a short-term intensive cert
"graduate of Street Smart" etc. - look like short-term self defense seminars
CAST Instructor - Modern Warrior is fantastic, but if this is like similar MW task-specific programs it's awarded after a two or three-day intensive workshop
"Just a few types of intensive training she has received" - At a guess at least a few of these were a few hours at something like AWDA's yearly seminar. It would be helpful if she distinguished between them. My guess is that the emphasis is on intensive rather than extensive, i.e. no significant in depth training in any of these.
Gavin de Becker & Associates Advanced Threat Assessment Academy - Gavin de Becker is a very impressive man, and I've heard good things about his 3-day training program.
Certified Personal Trainer by the National Academy of Sports Medicine - cert by exam. No training necessary other than first aid.

How much more than this is required to teach introductory self-defense and personal protection? Dunno.

She wouldn't be the first choice for someone to have my back in a fight, but the information she's been given is certainly good stuff. If she's a good, organized speaker her workshop will probably be worthwhile for beginners.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's take a look at the specifics:

AWSDA Certified Rape Prevention Instructor - a one-day cert
RAD - Last time I looked it was a short-term intensive cert
"graduate of Street Smart" etc. - look like short-term self defense seminars
CAST Instructor - Modern Warrior is fantastic, but if this is like similar MW task-specific programs it's awarded after a two or three-day intensive workshop
"Just a few types of intensive training she has received" - At a guess at least a few of these were a few hours at something like AWDA's yearly seminar. It would be helpful if she distinguished between them. My guess is that the emphasis is on intensive rather than extensive, i.e. no significant in depth training in any of these.
Gavin de Becker & Associates Advanced Threat Assessment Academy - Gavin de Becker is a very impressive man, and I've heard good things about his 3-day training program.
Certified Personal Trainer by the National Academy of Sports Medicine - cert by exam. No training necessary other than first aid.

How much more than this is required to teach introductory self-defense and personal protection? Dunno.

She wouldn't be the first choice for someone to have my back in a fight, but the information she's been given is certainly good stuff. If she's a good, organized speaker her workshop will probably be worthwhile for beginners.

I agree- great for beginners, and at Ping's at least she didn't say something to the effect of, "Congratulations! You have learned all there is to know about defending yourself, blahblahblah...!" She encouraged everyone to go out and learn more about self defense.

Latest Discussions