Anyone heard of Terry McCord?

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
masherdong said:
How is he teaching? He is a student of Paul Mills. Please let me know of your thoughts.

Did you get to attend one of Terry's classes? Or is this a general what can I expect kind of message?

I've never trained with Terry per se, but I've been in several seminars with him and hung out a little. One of the issues about asking how someone is as a teacher is that it is easier when the instructor has been around for a while, because there is someone who can actually answer. Most of the young guns (myself included) don't have the track record that will allow somone to honestly assess how good we are (comparitively). My suggestion would be to meet the instructor (see how you feel in your gut about their mannerisms, language, philosophy on the system and teaching, is he respectfully to his students), observe their students (are they friendly, do they have a chip on thier shoulders, do they look proficient at their given level) and agree to give it a try for 30 days to see if it is what you're looking for. If you decide to leave after that, no harm, no foul...

Once again good luck, jb

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you get to attend one of Terry's classes? Or is this a general what can I expect kind of message?
I have had an interview with him at his house out in Sugar Land. We talked for at least 2 hours! I have heard from various people that he ignores his students and that he uses them as a punching bag. From what I hear, he has a couple of Yellow belts who have studied for over a year and have not moved up yet. I am trying to find some truth to these rumors.

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of working with Mr. Mccord, but have met him in the past. He's very knowledgeable in what he does and moves like a kenpoist should. You couldn't go wrong with taking a few classes and see.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
masherdong said:
I have had an interview with him at his house out in Sugar Land. We talked for at least 2 hours! I have heard from various people that he ignores his students and that he uses them as a punching bag. From what I hear, he has a couple of Yellow belts who have studied for over a year and have not moved up yet. I am trying to find some truth to these rumors.

Well,

I'd say 2 hrs later you should have an idea of what he's about, and since I know Terry is a talker you should have a pretty good idea on what he's about.

I don't know anything about him ignoring his students and have never witnessed the other, but if after scowering the AKKI site you don't think the instructors are taught its ok to bop their students, well...I don't know what site you've been looking at....lol. It's all in the name of martial science I suppose.

Regarding how fast someone moves through the system; That could be for a number of reasons. Two of the most common 1) a person is extremely uncoordinated (and Terry isn't giving away belts) 2) they haven't been attending class regularly (or practiced out side of class) to develop their skills. I don't know any instructors who's goal is to have a legecy of yellow belts... :idunno:

Good Luck, jb

Latest Discussions