Anyone else feel extremely demotivated over lockdown?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with you on what is a poor substitute. I disagree that watching Enter the Dragon is better. I disagree that you can't get anything out of it.

What @Jaeimseu said was the invalidation. He's saying I shouldn't complain that it sucks; that I should just get over it.
i did say anything useful, you can probebly get things that arnt particularly usefull out if it .

could you teach someone to fight over zoom with no sort of partner training? anost certainly not,

can you tech someone to hold there leg in the air, probably, pubch a target that doesnt exist, id thing so, learn a little footwork dance, yes. usfull ? only a little, maybe

my whole generation tought themselves ma after watching enter the dragon, some of them were very good, its amazing how quickly you improve with rice flails after youve hit yoyrself on the head a few times

Last edited:

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, yes. Invalidate my feelings. That does nothing to encourage depression. /s
People need to vent. This has been a difficult and stressful time. I was venting.

Some challenges are good, some are sucky. I've risen to this challenge, even though it's sucky. I'd much rather teach students normally. Many of these are 4-6 year olds who have been doing classes for less than a year. They're not yet hardcore martial artists like you. They're still just kids. And this sucks for them. We've had a lot of students quit because they don't like virtual training. We've had others quit because they can't do virtual training, or because they can't afford classes anymore. This whole situation sucks. I can do my best in spite of that, but that doesn't change the fact that it sucks.

Well, we didn't have sufficient preparation at first. It was thrust on us all of a sudden. We're also not IT instructors, we're martial arts instructors, who are now customers of Zoom. We do our best to teach our students and their parents, but we can't control them.

This is a new situation for everyone. For most people, virtual meetings are completely new. Parents don't know how they're supposed to act, because they think they're at home. Any time someone needs help with Zoom, we have to stop the entire class to help that one person figure out their issue. We have to do this troubleshooting without knowing their hardware, and we have to do it quickly so we can get back to class. Is the problem their internet connection? Their computer? Their peripherals? Do they not have something connected properly? Is it even possible for them to fix it? I don't know. And I don't have time to spend 10 minutes troubleshooting someone's issue, because that's 25% of the class gone on one person not even getting martial arts training.

This situation sucks. It's requiring us to be a lot more than martial arts instructors, and at the same time give a lot less martial arts instruction. It's frustrating to no end. So take your criticism and find somewhere else to shove it.

Who’s invalidating anything? Your feelings are your feelings. Practically everyone is in the same boat. I depend on my martial arts school to feed my family. So it’s on me to make virtual classes not suck. I teach in-person classes at the dojang, virtual classes via Zoom, and in-person classes in a park. I prefer to teach the way we taught pre-Covid, but that’s not possible at the moment. I choose to look at this as a challenge and do what I can to meet it. My mindset is that if a class sucks, it’s my fault. That’s nothing to be depressed about. It’s simply an opportunity to reflect, learn, and improve.

You seem to be taking this as an opportunity to be offended and disregard someone suggesting another way to look at things, which, IMO, you have shown a pattern of doing (at least here on MT).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He's saying I shouldn't complain that it sucks; that I should just get over it.
He's right about the complaining it doesn't help to complain. Venting is good and is actually health. So long as you know you are venting then vent on. I personally wouldn't tell you do get over it, but I would encourage you to view it as 2 different methods of teaching that require 2 totally different approaches. This will help take the Suck out of online training.

For me I'm going to tray to approach online teaching through 2 methods. Recorded videos and live classes. Recorded videos will allow me to get a cleaner version and go into more details, that way I'm not spending a lot of class time going through the details. For the live classes, I want it to be more like an interactive p-90x video, where students are getting ago good workout while doing martial arts. I think I'm going to separate my classes into different parts. Drill training, Cardio Training, and Strength training. Form training would be like a cool down and each peace of the form will come from the Drill. I think the online classes can be more productive if I can get the right mixture.

Then student will be required to show a video of their training at the beginning of the week and at the end of the second week. This way they can see their before and after video. Not sure how I'm going to train kids. I may have to take the same approach that I did when I taught in person classes where I will need the parent's help in helping the child do the technique correctly.

But anyway. don't let the comments get you down. I would try to brain storm with other instructors that do online classes. They may have some ideas or ways that would make your experience a happy one.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
in-person classes in a park. I prefer to teach the way we taught pre-Covid, but that’s not possible at the moment. I choose to look at this as a challenge and do what I can to meet it. My mindset is that if a class sucks, it’s my fault. That’s nothing to be depressed about. It’s simply an opportunity to reflect, learn, and improve.
Online classes are difficult to do. I think the most important part is to not to oversell expectations when it comes to online class. Where people advertise in-person classes as fun. I don't think I'll be doing that with my online classes. I think I'm going to go with selling the classes as an "escape" from the challenges of Covid-19. If it's something that people can focus on then it makes the lock down stuff feel less of a pain. If it something that they can see results from, then it will be something that they see as being worth doing.

I do agree with you that it's a mindset. The teacher does have to set the right mindset and expectations so that student don't think it's going to be the same as in-person training but online. I'll be busting that up on the front page of my website with a FAQ. What online classes are and what they aren't? Can online classes be fun. Probably not, but they can definitely be enjoyable.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Online classes are difficult to do. I think the most important part is to not to oversell expectations when it comes to online class. Where people advertise in-person classes as fun. I don't think I'll be doing that with my online classes. I think I'm going to go with selling the classes as an "escape" from the challenges of Covid-19. If it's something that people can focus on then it makes the lock down stuff feel less of a pain. If it something that they can see results from, then it will be something that they see as being worth doing.

I do agree with you that it's a mindset. The teacher does have to set the right mindset and expectations so that student don't think it's going to be the same as in-person training but online. I'll be busting that up on the front page of my website with a FAQ. What online classes are and what they aren't? Can online classes be fun. Probably not, but they can definitely be enjoyable.

Classes are fun if we make them fun. Students learn if we set them up to learn. To me, it’s not virtual vs in-person. We offer virtual classes because some people need virtual classes. There’s no need to compare virtual to in-person.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since I can't teach Chinese wrestling that require body contact, my class has been changed into Sanda class. Also since I can't make too close contact, we work on combos, footwork, power, and speed.

For punching only, we work on

- 1 step 3 punches.
- 2 steps 3 punches,
- 3 steps 3 punches.

We also work on

- power generation method, and
- speed generation method.

Since we have 18 different 3 punches combo, 18 x 3 x 2 = 108 different sets of 3 punches striking combo training. If we drill each combo 20 times, that will be 108 x 20 = 2,160 reps total and 3 x 2,160 = 6,480 punches total. a good work out packet.

The lockdown gives me a chance to switch my focus. I'm happy that I can help my guys to open another door in their training path.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who’s invalidating anything? Your feelings are your feelings. Practically everyone is in the same boat. I depend on my martial arts school to feed my family. So it’s on me to make virtual classes not suck. I teach in-person classes at the dojang, virtual classes via Zoom, and in-person classes in a park. I prefer to teach the way we taught pre-Covid, but that’s not possible at the moment. I choose to look at this as a challenge and do what I can to meet it. My mindset is that if a class sucks, it’s my fault. That’s nothing to be depressed about. It’s simply an opportunity to reflect, learn, and improve.

You seem to be taking this as an opportunity to be offended and disregard someone suggesting another way to look at things, which, IMO, you have shown a pattern of doing (at least here on MT).

Well maybe don't tell someone their feelings are wrong.

Also don't make assumptions on how I'm handling it.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well maybe don't tell someone their feelings are wrong.

Also don't make assumptions on how I'm handling it.

Feelings aren’t right or wrong. They’re feelings. There’s nothing wrong with feelings themselves. I was commenting about mindset. A better mindset allows a person to take positive action.

And I’m not necessarily assuming anything about you personally. I’m talking about my own observations of other instructors and educators (including myself) over a long period of time.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Classes are fun if we make them fun. Students learn if we set them up to learn. To me, it’s not virtual vs in-person. We offer virtual classes because some people need virtual classes. There’s no need to compare virtual to in-person.

clasess are fun if peopke enjoy them, to much fun spoils the learnibg process, particularly if the only criteria your using to assess its use is if it was fun or not

clealy makibg it drab, long and boring doesnt help much either

people perhaps will attend, virtualy or otherwise if its fun, if they are then learning abythibg useful or anythobg at all, is debatable

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Usually, I am the most motivated person in the room. I always aim to push past my limits. Recently in Glasgow, they shut down gyms until the 12th and once again I am stuck with home workouts. This feels extremely demoralising, and as someone who wants compete and be one of the best fighters one day, I feel like I should be able to cope with this much better than I am. Everyone tells me, "even athletes go through this" but whenever I feel like this I start to think "someone out there right now, with the same dream and passion me, is working harder than me". How do you guys cope with this?

For sure I think for many it's tough on their own motivation.

Me personally, during our multiple lockdowns, I have never trained more in my life haha. I trained so much, and it's amazing just what you can do in terms of getting creative with your training. I used a shoe rack for kick accuracy and control (in the multiple rungs), a handpad hanging on a rubber tube to train covering distance with punches etc, finding a broken off broom stick handle, taping the ends and exploring jo weapon work (which I'd never done before), and so much online training with people from ALL over the world that I never would have had the chance to train with.

Another thing, I've noticed you compare yourself with others a bit...... don't! Haha ;)

Don't worry about whether another hypothetical person may be training harder than you, this is an opportunity to really take ownership of your training and feel out everything you've always wanted to work on on your own.

I totally totally get the frustration and not feeling motivated, and the sense of endlessness of lockdowns... absolutely. I would just say be kind to yourself brother, let training take a different, creative path and let it be an anchor for yourself in these crazy times. Let it be a time of really enjoying your training in whatever form it takes.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well my short raise in optimism and motivation has been and gone, as the uk govenment has just cancelled Christmas,

which is no great suprise as they had just spent the last three weeks saying they wouldnt

and then briefly in a moment if clarity, invoked pesonal responsibility to take care of elderly relatives, before decideding we couldnt be trusted and more of less scrappibg the whole thing, dependent on where you live

the scotish govenment, never one to miss an opertunity, has cut england off from scotland making it illegal to travel either way

the lst time this happened was in the 1600s and riots broke out, i suspect this time round people will just grin and bear it and im lookibg forward to a microwave turkey dinner for one, great

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
well my short raise in optimism and motivation has been and gone, as the uk govenment has just cancelled Christmas,

which is no great suprise as they had just spent the last three weeks saying they wouldnt

and then briefly in a moment if clarity, invoked pesonal responsibility to take care of elderly relatives, before decideding we couldnt be trusted and more of less scrappibg the whole thing, dependent on where you live

the scotish govenment, never one to miss an opertunity, has cut england off from scotland making it illegal to travel either way

the lst time this happened was in the 1600s and riots broke out, i suspect this time round people will just grin and bear it and im lookibg forward to a microwave turkey dinner for one, great
I won't say anything about what the government should or shouldn't be doing.... but I am thinking of guys in the UK, whatever that may mean. It sounds really really rough on all fronts... and hoping you're all doing okay.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I won't say anything about what the government should or shouldn't be doing.... but I am thinking of guys in the UK, whatever that may mean. It sounds really really rough on all fronts... and hoping you're all doing okay.
thanks, weve had 10 months of this nonsence now, a very jatge number of people have had their life seriously adversly effected, not by the vurus, but by the measures to control the spread, which is not it seems being controlled as predicted by the exsperts

in someways im lucky, im retired, my income is relativly secure at least in the short term, i live alone, which means im not getting into significant conflict with a significant other from being locked up together c24 hours a day, but on the downside ive had just about everything i value taken off me and i spend 24 hours a day on my own. rather than gregarious tripping from one social event / location to another

chrismass as a mid winter festival of famly fun and frivolity, to break the tedium of incessant cold and dark long predates chrismass as a religious festival of christianity, that is it fills a major social need in mankind . i can see this may not have the same importance, in the middle of the australian summer

its removal is a significant attack on the well being of people, its not just, the canceling of a couple of weeks of activerties" get over it" it goes far deeper than that. it also seems that the parties who are by pribcipsl opposes to chrismass as a relious festival ir indeed any festival,are the ones most in favour of its suspention,

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This has been absolutely awful. I've gained quite a bit of weight, and have been eating far more than normal. I can't really practice Bjj because it's like the worst thing you can practice during a pandemic like this. Some of my training partners are still training though, but they're young guys who live by themselves/or simply think they're supermen. I run and do some training at home, but nothing beats the cardio from rolling with a trained partner.

Latest Discussions