Any Sambo Folks on Board?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any Sambo Folks on Board?

So far, Systema has dominated the discussion here - not complaining, I love to hear about it - but Sambo is also a very popular Russian Martial Art. Any Sambo practioners here?

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am pretty much a rank beginner at Sambo but have alot of experience wrestling. My actual instruction has been mighty slim and I am forced into learning via Igor Yakimovs 100 Lessons of Russian Sambo series....very easy to learn from but I hope to find a good club sometime in the future to correct all my bad habits and mistakes:)

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Imagine that! Good to see you here SB....I don't feel so alone here now.

So now we just have to get these folks talking sambo.

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Howdie Boyd, good to see you here. We just might be able to get a sambo discussion going here if this keeps up:)

Boyd Ritchie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That would be great. I know that in the past the discussion has been mostly Systema related but the moderator is opened minded and encouraging.

Whatcha wanna talk about?? :)

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Most definitely sambo! Not sure why they are wearing gloves though...perhaps this was a combat sambo match up and they just clinched and threw before any punches were thrown?

I have seen a longer clip where Aleks and Fedor do some exhibition demos but this does look like a real match to me.

EternalSpringtime

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It really amazes me how Fedor could use these stuff in a NHB fight. He is really the best in that ground game of his.

Boyd Ritchie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Most definitely sambo! Not sure why they are wearing gloves though...perhaps this was a combat sambo match up and they just clinched and threw before any punches were thrown?

I have seen a longer clip where Aleks and Fedor do some exhibition demos but this does look like a real match to me.

If I'm not mistaken and I'm pretty sure about this, that is Fedor's brother. They both were in the finals at the recent Combat Sombo championships. Many feel that since they were brothers they decided not to pound each other.

Boyd Ritchie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here is a nice clip on Fedor:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken and I'm pretty sure about this, that is Fedor's brother. They both were in the finals at the recent Combat Sombo championships. Many feel that since they were brothers they decided not to pound each other.

Now that you mention it I do remember hearing about this. I do like how Aleks charges right up to his brother to get the grappling started without even a chance to start striking.

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I also happen to have a couple of years of sambo training under my belt. I practiced sambo before moving to bjj.

Thanks,
Joe

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
I practice Sambo at Sambo Texas in the Dallas Texas area. We are a southwest region training center for USA Sambo.