Intergrating Systema and Sambo?

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interjection is fine, this is afterall a discussion boad. Thanks for the info. I'd heard that sambo was taught before. I believe it would have been around 3 or more years ago. I'll be in Detroit in about a week so I may swing over to toronto to check out his school. I've never trained with him and I have no systema training, but I've been told it a lot of fun. Plus the drive isn't to bad.

I have spent extended trips at Vlad's in 2000 and 2002. On neither of these trips did I see any Sambo classes.

Paul Genge

Jackal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've studied both Systema and Sambo but I, personally, found that I could not successfully blend the two. Different movement pholisophies IMO. Not a fan of being told that there are things I cannot do on the mat. I've found that catch wrestling actually was a more successful blend for me. More room for improv.

OP
C

Clash77

White Belt
Reaction score
It seems there is so many variations of Sambo,some would likely relate
to Systema more than others.From what I gather there is softer sides
and then more so hard styles,just from what I have heard from others.

I recently ordered Igor Yakimov's Combat Sambo set.I look forward
to seeing what his approach to hand to hand combat is like.I have
read reviews on his leg lock series,but nothing on this series.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jesse --you , 'jackal' -your friend in life reminds you why you could not connect both Sytema and Sambo as well and you might have (presently) wished.

Brother Jesse -I am NOT pulling 'rank' on you - in fact, I have always seen you abit clearly...I pretty much regard you as a person - at about a bit older (and kept up your 'work' - your job and marriage) to become a great icon of The System that is pretty rare, even now. You - like myslef...have chosen a less public venue to 'teach' The System'...but dude...you get 'it' - I get great time with you every few years. Still got that kangaroo whip? Ya know what - I couldnt crrack it the last time we were together...but NOW - I could knock the nutz off a gnat.

The 'russian gentlemans' name was sent - respectfully -in a PM - BUT, you would have known him...but I kinda hogged up the time I had with a full bore Sambo icon. Sorry.

HIS 'Sambo' actually fit well into the Systema 'work' - and I only blame my self that I have (yet) to demo it to his best student in the USA (a guy named Steve) - to show how it cna all work in a congruent manner.
MT and BJJ - with good transition - now RULES the UFC - with a touch of the USA boxing thrown in to the mix.

The russian guy - with me? Had No rules - it was just survival..and I feel his attraction to the System was just that. NO contest - no sportive...just 'doing the work until the work is done'.

Jesse - IF you would like to know the gentlemans Sambo - maybe..we can work out a meet with his best student - Steve - and demo systema and it's way of fitting in.

Maybe..we can do so.
happy new year, Brother Jesse.

Latest Discussions