Any Other Kind of Artists Around Here?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aside from MARTIAL arts, is anyone else artistic in any way? I write and play guitar. Actually I wrote a REALLY long comic book story, but I can't find an artist to draw it. I'd love to find someone, shop it around and split any pay 50-50!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there are many of us that do other things that could be artistic around here.
I write , paint (landscapes), carve (a or at least I used to), but I sure do not sing LOL

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from MARTIAL arts, is anyone else artistic in any way? I write and play guitar. Actually I wrote a REALLY long comic book story, but I can't find an artist to draw it. I'd love to find someone, shop it around and split any pay 50-50!

Try the below site. There are a lot of good artists around

DeviantART

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I spent 7 years as a custom knife-maker, I occasionally write short stories, but my real creativity comes out usually in either carpentry or cooking.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try the below site. There are a lot of good artists around

DeviantART

I've been there. The trick is, everyone wants to get paid $20 or more per page. I know you get what you pay for, but I don't have that kind of money. No one believes in signing some kind of contract (which could easily be made legally binding) that says they will draw the story I wrote and then, when we sell it to a publisher, we both split it 50-50. Then again, in this day and age I can't blame them for doubting the validity of such a contract. I am thinking about starting a Kickstarter fund or something to raise the money to pay someone, but I haven't worked out an angle as to WHY they should donate money to me. With all the other comic books out there trying to raise money, why invest in mine? I believe in the story...the trick is getting OTHER people to, before they have even seen a single panel.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I play guitar and bass, much more bass these days than guitar.

I'm also a hiker and photographer (click on link for larger picture):

Dublin cascade by Sikaranista, on Flickr

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I play guitar and bass, much more bass these days than guitar.

I'm also a hiker and photographer (click on link for larger picture):

Dublin cascade by Sikaranista, on Flickr

Carol,

What kind of music? I might be in need of your skills! And due to the magic of today's technology, it doesn't matter how far away you live.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I play guitar & bass and sing. (Mostly folk/folk-rock)

I've noticed that my brain goes in cycles between wanting to work hard on my martial arts and wanting to work hard on my music. Rarely both at once. I've been pretty focused on the dojo lately, so my music has been lagging behind.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I play guitar & bass and sing. (Mostly folk/folk-rock)

I've noticed that my brain goes in cycles between wanting to work hard on my martial arts and wanting to work hard on my music. Rarely both at once. I've been pretty focused on the dojo lately, so my music has been lagging behind.

Tony,

Well if you ever feel like contributing to something musical, let me know. I have some songs I want to record that require a full band. I CAN play the bass on them if I want, but I like to have someone else do the other instruments. Otherwise it comes out one-dimensional because you have a recording with the same person playing everything. I like the vibe that another personality can give to my songs.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol,

What kind of music? I might be in need of your skills! And due to the magic of today's technology, it doesn't matter how far away you live.

Thank you. Can't take that on right now, but I hope your project goes well.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been there. The trick is, everyone wants to get paid $20 or more per page. I know you get what you pay for, but I don't have that kind of money. No one believes in signing some kind of contract (which could easily be made legally binding) that says they will draw the story I wrote and then, when we sell it to a publisher, we both split it 50-50. Then again, in this day and age I can't blame them for doubting the validity of such a contract. I am thinking about starting a Kickstarter fund or something to raise the money to pay someone, but I haven't worked out an angle as to WHY they should donate money to me. With all the other comic books out there trying to raise money, why invest in mine? I believe in the story...the trick is getting OTHER people to, before they have even seen a single panel.

Yeah. I had a similar situation with a idea for a modded Sovereign class from ST. A fanfic was not deemed professional enough, but I could have licensed a one shot copy of another ship. Really wish I could do free hand drawing. Oh well :D Have you heard of JMS, the creator of Babylon 5. He started a comic book thing, and I am sure peeps can submit work. Maybe worth looking into.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. I had a similar situation with a idea for a modded Sovereign class from ST. A fanfic was not deemed professional enough, but I could have licensed a one shot copy of another ship. Really wish I could do free hand drawing. Oh well :D Have you heard of JMS, the creator of Babylon 5. He started a comic book thing, and I am sure peeps can submit work. Maybe worth looking into.

Places like that usually want you to submit only if you already have an artist and have some artwork done. The common belief in the art world is that writers are a dime a dozen, and the only way to break in is if you have an artist in tow.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to write stories, although it can get hard, especially when I get writer's block.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Places like that usually want you to submit only if you already have an artist and have some artwork done. The common belief in the art world is that writers are a dime a dozen, and the only way to break in is if you have an artist in tow.

Yeah the Brit flick "Paul" springs to mind, so I can see that. Are there any art schools nearby to you that perhaps cater for you're needs.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah the Brit flick "Paul" springs to mind, so I can see that. Are there any art schools nearby to you that perhaps cater for you're needs.

None that I know of. I mean, there are art classes at the colleges around me, but college students usually have next to NO drive whatsoever to do things like this. Hell, I was one...so I know!

Latest Discussions