Any advantages to having a Karate, Kung Fu etc. background for BJJ beginners.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At least you can tie a belt. We have some gumbies who can't.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Advantage to have Kung Fu background for BJJ guys:

- The stand up throw can set up nice ground control.
- Strong head lock is powerful in side mount.
- Strong grip strength can help the ground game.
- Using leading arm to jam back arm strategy is very useful in ground game.
- Kung Fu skill can help you to get back up on your feet quickly.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, I had another thought, after reading this thread again...

After doing BJJ for a while, go back and look at your karate katas. You might find a bunch of things you haven't seen before. I started Karate after doing Danzan Ryu for many years. When we are discussing the applications of the different karate kata, the karate guys see some really nice punching, kicking and elbowing things. I see throwing, locking, choking and grappling moves. Learning a new art can allow us to see things in our first art in a whole new way... But you do have to look for it.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Advantages for learning BJJ: You should have already developed some degree of balance, kinesthetic awareness, body control, work ethic, and ability to follow movements you are shown.

Advantages as a martial artist in general: You should already have some skill at dealing with standup striking, which most BJJ schools tend to neglect.

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the style. In the kungfu I learned, we sparred with sanda ruleset which allows takedown. This has good crossover.
General fitness and grip strength.

Dissadvantages;
Your ego- this may affect you differently depending on how long you have been training and your general attitude. You'll have to swallow your pride as you get rolled around and submitted by lower ranks, in the same way you do when sparring with new people in your style.

REDMAGE

White Belt
Reaction score
Don't assume you'll excel due to past experience in other arts, unless it was wrestling. BJJ will humble you or drive you away.