Ankle Wraps?????

S

spook mma

what purpose do they serve? is it just to help you prevent sprains by giving more support? i constantly hurt my ankles on kicks because i sometimes mis-kick and hit with the top of my foot instead of my instep or shin. would ankle wraps help protect me?

OP
C

c2kenpo

If you are hurting yourself with kicks like that I would first get a sports wrap for more support and then look at using sparring footgear for protection.

Secondly, I would take a look at using a little less power in kicks and focusing on proper weapon and body alignment (posture) when you kick. That may sound silly but I had a fellow student who was hurting himself because he was using too much power and not enough target focus, he would constantly kick my elbow.

Also when trying to heal it use a combination of soaking your ankle in an ice bath for a little while and then using a small heat pad on it for to bring it up to temperature. That will help also do stretching on your ankles daily.

I have 2 bad ankles and have learned what I need to do to make sure I don't hurt myself more. Hope this helps.
Good Journey

Dave Gunzburg

:idunno:

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
My foot has been hurt for about 1 1/2 years because of the same thing. I have tried everything to make it better. (ice, elevation, physical therapy, etc. ) Plus Ive been to lots of doctors, had xrays, mri's, etc. Now whenever my foot is wrapped it feels OK, when its not it hurts. Dont know if it woud have helped before I injured it, but it helps alot now. Good luck.

OP
M

MartialArtist

My left foot snaps, crackles, and pops when I do short little jumps as in jumping rope. :shrug:

OP
A

andurilking2

i found that foot wraps help really only when you have like sprained your ankle and do not offer enough support for kicking or jumping (dependent upon your weight) like c2kempo said you should practice on a bag for alignment and technique
well this is just my personal experience i am far from a physician good luck with your kicks

Latest Discussions