Anderson Silva footage of Training in Aikido

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In light of the recent thread of "bad rep on Aikido"

Well obviously Aikido is good enough that it has attracted the attention of the UFC middleweight Champion and Top p4p fighter Anderson Silva.

Last edited by a moderator:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well obviously Aikido is good enough that it has attracted the attention of the UFC middleweight Champion and Top p4p fighter Anderson Silva.

And, you notice the use of atemi! That's why I train aikido. It supplements karate beautifully.
icon14.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, you notice the use of atemi! That's why I train aikido. It supplements karate beautifully.
icon14.gif

We use aikido in MMA as do quite a few others so it's no surprise to see a well known fighter training in it. After all it's not called Mixed Martial Arts for nothing! :)

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
We use aikido in MMA as do quite a few others so it's no surprise to see a well known fighter training in it. After all it's not called Mixed Martial Arts for nothing! :)

I wish they shared your practicality on this side of the pond.

MMA here is considered to be a "mix" of only the "holy trinity" of boxing, Muay Thai and BJJ for the most part. :(

(Actually no, catch wrestling shows up quite often too but you get the point)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish they shared your practicality on this side of the pond.

MMA here is considered to be a "mix" of only the "holy trinity" of boxing, Muay Thai and BJJ for the most part. :(

(Actually no, catch wrestling shows up quite often too but you get the point)

Anything that works gets thrown in! people are always looking for things that give them an edge. :)

Chat Noir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As much as people would like to see other arts represented, it boils down to Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, wrestling (catch, Greco, etc.), some boxing - but it's primarily a grappling game for the most part. If we see any other systems represented, it'd be a rare showing. Too bad really because I like to see something different when I watch.

Laura

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all MMA goes to the ground, many fighters I know come from a TMA background...usually TKD or karate so you see good fights with a good mixture of techniques in. We don't have a big wrestling background so that tends to be lacking. One of my students currently in Afghan has found some Americans and Canadians to train with, he's showing them our techniques and he's picking up some wrestling. He'll pass that on when he gets back, fingers crossed and all being well.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As much as people would like to see other arts represented, it boils down to Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, wrestling (catch, Greco, etc.), some boxing - but it's primarily a grappling game for the most part. If we see any other systems represented, it'd be a rare showing. Too bad really because I like to see something different when I watch.
Sorry to disagree. Ignoring 'sport' karate, what part of MMA is not 'traditional karate'?
In karate we have punching, kicking, entering in to take control, locks, throws, strangles and chokes. We use elbows a lot, knees (especially to the legs), we punch and we kick. Granted, traditional karate tends to avoid high kicks. Now before anybody says, yes but ... karate isn't really like that! All those techniques are in the traditional kata that go back hundreds of years.
So my question is, why is karate not even included in your list of MAs represented in MMA?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree. Ignoring 'sport' karate, what part of MMA is not 'traditional karate'?
In karate we have punching, kicking, entering in to take control, locks, throws, strangles and chokes. We use elbows a lot, knees (especially to the legs), we punch and we kick. Granted, traditional karate tends to avoid high kicks. Now before anybody says, yes but ... karate isn't really like that! All those techniques are in the traditional kata that go back hundreds of years.
So my question is, why is karate not even included in your list of MAs represented in MMA?

He's right!
Too many people are doing karate or TKD 'lite' these days to recognise that karate is as good as it ever was, it's the people that have devalued it not that karate ( and I include TKD in this) has suddenly become useless.
All those moves are in karate kata including takedowns and much that Aikido people would recognise. I've seen little boxing in MMA as the stances tend to be restricting, good punches come from karate usually rather than MT. What MT tends to bring is the 'fighting' part of it, as a sport it's still full contact as opposed to the Olympic style sparring.

Latest Discussions