An excellent day of Championship Kenpo

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saturday was Mr. Whites seminar series, featuring pieces by Capt. Ron Sanchez on survival mind-set and awareness, and strategies/rationale for controlling firearms in self-defense; Mr. Ryan Huntley and Mr. Jamie Matthews on free-style/sparring (particularly footwork, position, and anti-rhythem answering); and Mr. Jeff Newton and his personal trainer on MMA technique training, physical preparation, and plyometric conditioning. The training was graced by the attendence of participants from several different kenpo schools from throughout California.

Many long-time kenpoistas were in the house, and Mr. White and his family recieved honors dedicated to the memory and contributions of his first wife, Barbara Lee White.

Frank Trejo was in attendance, introducing the upcoming Long Beach Internationals to be held on the last weekend of July, into August 1st. The friday going into that weekend will have seminars by Mr. White, Mr. Planas, Mr. Pick, and Mr. Tatum, as well as a line training by Mr. Dye. Friday night before the tournament is also to have a welcoming banquet, and a hall of fame ceremony.

Several of the "old timers" :) gathered afterwards to recount tournament highlights from Internationals in the 1970's and 80's. Some funny stuff from the days before the invention of the Saf-T-Chop.

The quality of the training was excellent, and the company even better. I encourage all who can to attend such events in the future to do so; comaraderie and brotherhood in kenpo is a good thing.

Thank you, Mr. White, for putting on such a quality event.

Looking forward to the next one,

Dr. Dave

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it was an awesome event!!!

Mike

Bob White

Green Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am glad you enjoyed the day. It was our goal to be informative and to also have the participants leave with some drills that they could do on their own. Capt. Sanchez brings us information that we normally are not exposed to. His education, through street experiences, is something that can help us all.
Sean Canova, who is Jeff Newton`s fitness coach, gave us some great excercises that we are all doing at the school. The ups and downs with the medicine ball is a hard workout. Jeff Newton`s physical condition has raised the bar for all of us.
I appreciate all of the support we received. Darrin Phillip`s kenpo family had a good representation of serious martial artists. Colin Van Deusen also had many of his students present.
We are planning another seminar in July to prepare for Frank Trejo`s IKC. The comment I received most was that the classes were not long enough and we will change that. All classes will be 11/2 hr. long.
Thanks again Dr. Dave and I hope to see you soon.
Respectfully,
Bob White