american kenpo in a small town

Marshall hahn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
my name is marshall hahn i think my three favorite american techniques are rear armlock defense, broken staff, and saluting right punch i am currently a purple be already training for my blue belt

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to MT! Good luck and keep up the hard work in your journey.

OP
M

Marshall hahn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i believe the saying ed parker says i come to you with only karate empty hands no weapons but should i be forced to defend myself my principle or my honor should it be matter of life or death of right or wrong then here are my weapons karate my empty hands this saying can be the only phrase to help you while your stuck in a corner

OP
M

Marshall hahn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
most people when ever they get in to a fight and you have a weapon and the enemy gets hurt that person can lie on you and you can serve time

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martialtalk, and keep training. After 11 years of training in American Kenpo I can say that there is nothing like it. Keep up the hard work and good luck testing for your blue belt.

OP
M

Marshall hahn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i asked my karate teacher how much would my 4th degree black belt test her said 300

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck in your training. Keep up the good work.

By the way. If you list yourself as a purple why did you ask how much a 4th black test would cost? I'm curious is all.

OP
M

Marshall hahn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
for everybody who replys to my profile i would like to thank you all

OP
M

Marshall hahn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
here is a little bio about american kenpo

The modern history of American Kenpo began in the 1940s, when Great Grandmaster James M. Mitose (1916-1981) started teaching his ancestral Japanese martial art, Kosho-Ryu Kenpo, in Hawaii.[1] Mitose's art, later called Kenpo Jiu-Jitsu, traditionally traces its origin to Shaolin Kung Fu and Bodhidharma.[2] Kenpo Jiu-Jitsu emphasizes punching, striking, kicking, locking, and throwing.[2] Mitose's art was very linear, lacking the circular motions in American Kenpo.[3]
William K. S. Chow studied Kenpo under James Mitose, eventually earning a first-degree black belt.[2] He had also studied Chinese Kung Fu from his father.[4] Chow began teaching an art, which he called Kenpo Karate, that blended the circular movements he had learned from his father with the system he had learned from Mitose.[3][5] Chow experimented and modified his art, adapting it to meet the needs of American students.[3]
Ed Parker learned Kenpo Karate from William Chow, eventually earning a black belt,[6] though Chow was later to claim Parker had only earned a purple belt.[4] Others have claimed Parker had only earned a brown belt from Chow, possibly because this was his rank when he started teaching in Utah in 1955.[7] Al Tracy claims that Chow promoted Parker to sandan (3rd-degree black belt) in December 1961.[8]
The system known as American Kenpo was developed by Ed Parker as a successor to Chow's art. Parker revised older methods to work in modern day fighting scenarios.[9] He heavily restructured American Kenpo's forms and techniques during this period. He moved away from methods that were recognizably descended from other arts (such as forms that were familiar within Hung Gar) and established a more definitive relationship between forms and the self-defense technique curriculum of American Kenpo. Parker also eschewed esoteric Eastern concepts (e.g. qi) and sought to express the art in terms of scientific principles and western metaphors

OP
M

Marshall hahn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i talk to people when they ask about karate i tell them wat is my fighting style they are like that cant be real