American Kenpo helping at-risk Youth?

scfgabe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are there any American Kenpo organizations that have programs for helping at-risk youth in a community? I would like to contact them, and see how I can be involved.

Thanks for the info!

- Gabe

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are you looking for any Kempo program, regardless of geographic location? Also, on what level of involvement do you plan on engaging the youth (e.g. instructor, monetary/donations)?

I think if you answer those questions you might be able to narrow down your scope of "programs" involved with at-risk youth...real quick.:)

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
scfgabe said:
Are there any American Kenpo organizations that have programs for helping at-risk youth in a community? I would like to contact them, and see how I can be involved.
Thanks for the info! Gabe
Hi Gabe. The only one I'm aware of is the "Jeff Speakman's Champions Foundation." I don't know how active they are or the locations of their facilities, but according to their website (http://www.jeffspeakman.com/), they're all over the United States & Mexico. As to whether or not they have a location close to your area, you'll probably need to contact them. Their e-mail address is: [email protected]

Sincerely,
Gin-Gin :)

OP
scfgabe

scfgabe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would like to either become a leader/coordinator in an existing organization or start a program in my area (Ogden, Utah). I am just beginning my training in American Kenpo, so I could not be the instructor...yet. However, I would like to help organize a program to help/mentor at-risk youth in my area learn discipline, be physically active, and gain more self confidence through the study of Kenpo.

Hopefully, that gives some clarification.

- Gabe

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
scfgabe said:
I would like to either become a leader/coordinator in an existing organization or start a program in my area (Ogden, Utah). I am just beginning my training in American Kenpo, so I could not be the instructor...yet. However, I would like to help organize a program to help/mentor at-risk youth in my area learn discipline, be physically active, and gain more self confidence through the study of Kenpo.
Hopefully, that gives some clarification.- Gabe
Have you tried talking to your instructor? Maybe he/she would be willing to start such a program in your area. If there is more than one Kenpo school in your city, maybe the local instructors could band together & share the teaching responsibilities? Or, you could try to attract "at risk" kids to your school by creating/distributing flyers & your instructor could give them a break on the membership fees? :idunno: Just a couple of suggestions--even though you're not an instructor, you could help/mentor them by being a good classmate & being supportive to them; you can also help your school by assisting your teacher with promotional materials (i.e. brochure, website), referring new people to your school, etc. That way, everybody wins!

Respectfully,
Gin-Gin :asian:

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
scfgabe said:

Hopefully, that gives some clarification.

- Gabe
Actually, the Koga Ha Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo Association of Philadelphia did a study on at-risk youth. You should give the article a read! Published in adoselcents (peer review); vol. 36, #143, fall 2001. The title is "An Effective Approach To Violence Preventation: Traditional Martial Arts In Middle School".

After having said all that...if you truly find the information interesting, I'll give you a number to call.

M

Mark Weiser

The IKCA (International Karate Connection Association/They are a branch of Kenpo) Organization has a program that assist and or encourages Instructors that are starting schools to assist at risk youth. Also there is a group called the Side Kick Foundation that focuses its programs at at risk youth.

Here is the IKCA website
http://www.karateconnection.com/

Here is Sidekick Foundation website
http://www.sidekickfoundation.org/

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
My old school toyed with this idea for a while a few years ago. It was pretty successful, in that we had it going at 4 or 5 inner city schools. A bunch more schools had called us about it, but we had to turn them down.

A few of the hard times we had:
1. Problems with finding instructors, then finding instructors who have the time.
2. It was non profit. Sure we could charge for the services, but the whole point was to provide a safe after school activity to kids who weren't normally able to afford classes. We provided a standard t-shirt and some gi pants, but that came from normal school tuition, so the school was losing money.
3. At times, transportation was an issue. Schools were asking for the chance to have us teach, but didn't want us to teach on their grounds.

But all in all, it was a great experience. Students were happy, admin was happy and so were parents. My hat to you if you can get it set up though.
I know that Chuck Norris has a successful "Kick Drugs Out Of America". Try to contact him or an associated school for information on how to start it up :)

OP
scfgabe

scfgabe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who has posted thus far with suggestions. I know that Kenpo has a lot to offer these kids who don't have a lot going for them in their lives. I appreciate your help in this cause.

Thank you.

- Gabe

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
scfgabe said:

Thanks for the info!

- Gabe
I heard somewhere that Michael Accord had some sort of outreach program, not sure and can't remember where I heard that right now.:wah:

Latest Discussions