after all im still with no sash!

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i just found out after 6 months of training that im still with no sash!
well, i did not attend my yellow graduation, neither did i attend my orange one. the thing is they told me that i was gonna pass anyway, and that graduation was just a ceremony to perform in front of people by teachers.
so i thought graduation was pointless, and they were just a way to collect fee money from the school!
but now i guess i have 6 more months to get the sashes of my current rank!
what ya'll think? isnt that retarded? i think it is, but you think i'm the retarded, or the school?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Going to graduations is often a show of support for your school/style. It may be just a formality, but it is a way for the school to acknowledge publicly your progress by presenting sashes to students. Is money the only issue why you don't go?

- Ceicei

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Graduation is an honorable ceremony where you are promoted. It is a recognition ceremony that your teachers plan for you to say to all who can hear that you have worked to achieve that rank.

I suggest that if you intend on continuing to train that you attend your promotions from now on and honor your teachers with the gratitude they deserve.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Formalities matter in traditional martial arts.

Sounds like a message is being sent to you!

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Going to graduations is often a show of support for your school/style. It may be just a formality, but it is a way for the school to acknowledge publicly your progress by presenting sashes to students. Is money the only issue why you don't go?

- Ceicei
no, first time i was out of town, and the second time I had a presentation to do in a class... if i knew i would have asked for a make-up graduation, which i know they do!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
mantis said:
no, first time i was out of town, and the second time I had a presentation to do in a class... if i knew i would have asked for a make-up graduation, which i know they do!

Then I would suggest you talk about this sash issue with your instructor. Only he and you can decide how to resolve this to show progress with your training.

- Ceicei

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with CeiCei - you should absolutely talk about this with your instructor. Good luck - and please tell us how it goes.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
well, i did not attend my yellow graduation, neither did i attend my orange one. the thing is they told me that i was gonna pass anyway, and that graduation was just a ceremony to perform in front of people by teachers.
so i thought graduation was pointless, and they were just a way to collect fee money from the school!
what ya'll think? isnt that retarded? i think it is, but you think i'm the retarded, or the school?

Don't just respect the formalities, love them.

DBACPhoenix

White Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
If you ignored the ceremony because you have no desire to gain rank, but merely to learn and excel at the art, then in one way it is commendable. If you ignored the ceremony because you do not want to shell out extra cash, then you dishonor your instructors. Even though I am firmly against paying money for recognition, if it is your schools custom then you should abide in order to show support. In either case, if your Sifu would like to recognize your achievements, then you should attend and feel proud out of respect for your Sifu and your school. Phoenix

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DBACPhoenix said:
If you ignored the ceremony because you have no desire to gain rank, but merely to learn and excel at the art, then in one way it is commendable. If you ignored the ceremony because you do not want to shell out extra cash, then you dishonor your instructors. Even though I am firmly against paying money for recognition, if it is your schools custom then you should abide in order to show support. In either case, if your Sifu would like to recognize your achievements, then you should attend and feel proud out of respect for your Sifu and your school. Phoenix
oh no..
i missed both of the graduations because i was out of town. i was in san francisco both times<br />
but if i knew it was that important i would have asked for a make-up, which i know they do!<br />
my impression was graduation was more like a cultural performance, like the lion dance and what not!<br />
so next month instead of going to green im going to yellow AGAIN haha

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sash color doesn't matter. Ceremonies may matter.

Just cause you don't have a green sash doesn't mean you can't be better then the others that do have green sashes.

I like the "no sash" attitude of most Tai Chi schools.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
dmax999 said:

Just cause you don't have a green sash doesn't mean you can't be better then the others that do have green sashes.

you got me wrong
i dont care about the sash color, but it means that i have to waste another 6 months doing the same thing and i wont join the intermediate class until i graduate to the green sash (even though i wouldnt wear the physical sash itself anyway)
i think it's time for negotiaion with the school again...
they must think im the trouble maker of the school after series of other interesting negotiations!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I hope this doesn't come off as rude or insulting. Mantis, it seems you are disatisfied with your school. You have made several remarks here in that light. If you are maybe you should look for a different school or different system. I dont mean that harsh, but mantis is not for everyone as is any system. You must find a style and school that meet your specific needs and desires. If your school is not doing that, you should look for one that will.

Now, also I would say that in my opinion belt color, or sash color means absolutely crap. The further along I get the more I realize that. In fact, I'm getting ready to take my black 2 level test and I would honestly prefer to not wear a sash or belt at all! However, if your school or teachers hold a graduation and want their students to wear sashes you should respect that. I wear a sash only because my sifu wants me to. If he said he didn't care, I would never even see my sash. But its really a way for me to show respect and gratitude to my sifu. I wear my black 1 level sash as an example for younger students, and to show my sifu's hard work with me. My skill level is directly related to my sifus skill and teaching ability. For me to ignore his levels would be to sort of disrespect his hard work with me.

Does that make sense at all? If you have to wait to move up, think of it as an opportunity to really learn and understand that material. As a black level student, I'm constantly seeing the need for understanding and drilling the basics!

7sm

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Ok, I hope this doesn't come off as rude or insulting. Mantis, it seems you are disatisfied with your school. You have made several remarks here in that light. If you are maybe you should look for a different school or different system. I dont mean that harsh, but mantis is not for everyone as is any system. You must find a style and school that meet your specific needs and desires. If your school is not doing that, you should look for one that will.

Now, also I would say that in my opinion belt color, or sash color means absolutely crap. The further along I get the more I realize that. In fact, I'm getting ready to take my black 2 level test and I would honestly prefer to not wear a sash or belt at all! However, if your school or teachers hold a graduation and want their students to wear sashes you should respect that. I wear a sash only because my sifu wants me to. If he said he didn't care, I would never even see my sash. But its really a way for me to show respect and gratitude to my sifu. I wear my black 1 level sash as an example for younger students, and to show my sifu's hard work with me. My skill level is directly related to my sifus skill and teaching ability. For me to ignore his levels would be to sort of disrespect his hard work with me.

Does that make sense at all? If you have to wait to move up, think of it as an opportunity to really learn and understand that material. As a black level student, I'm constantly seeing the need for understanding and drilling the basics!

7sm
no offense taken. it's actually those kind of words that make me think :)
you are right.
I believe i already PM'd you asking advice on several issues so many times, that I think you're already bored of my questions. I asked you a lot about the style, and about the school too.
there are absolutely things that i dont like about the school and the style itself, but i think there are more things that i love about this school. Only one of those things that I love is enough to keep me in the school.
I will tell you a short story on why im here:
one day i decided to google my master to see what's written on him on the internet, and i find one of YOUR posts talking about the school, so i signed up for MT just to talk to you about my school. Knowing this now, you should not be expecting me to be talking about positive things because i already see them, but you should expect me to ask you about what I dont like and my goal is that I make sure I want to make the commitment for the next three years.
which raises another issue, that I have problems with commitment in general.
Again, i didnt mean the sash as the physical sash itself, but i meant the level. my concern was that I have to repeat the 6 months that I already spent at the school.
and once again, I missed both of my graduation because I was on work trips to San Francisco, but my mistake is not worrying about the make-up.
I think I will have to talk to my teacher today to see what he thinks and I will update you on that. Maybe the school got offended and he decides to kick me out, maybe it's not a problem, i dont know.. i'll let you know by tonight.
btw, I have to give you credit that you made me think deeper and about the style and the school. so thank you again!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No no, I'm not tired of your questions, I'm glad your asking them! Its hard to fit in your training around work and everything I know that for sure, but its more about the journey. Your skill is still increasing even if your at the same level you were before. I'm flatered that you signed up here simply because of my post, I'm glad your here and asking questions. Thats vital to the learning process! Keep me updated on how things are going.

Oh, maybe you could list what you like and dislike about the style your studying, that would be interesting to see.

7sm

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
No no, I'm not tired of your questions, I'm glad your asking them! Its hard to fit in your training around work and everything I know that for sure, but its more about the journey. Your skill is still increasing even if your at the same level you were before. I'm flatered that you signed up here simply because of my post, I'm glad your here and asking questions. Thats vital to the learning process! Keep me updated on how things are going.

Oh, maybe you could list what you like and dislike about the style your studying, that would be interesting to see.

7sm
What I dont like is:
-class time too short, i dont get enough work out or stretching. I have to stretch before going to class and I still get leg muscle problems from kicking.
-no sparring, bag training, or even enough focus mitts. but i have to be fair, there's at least 2 instructors that walk around the class correcting students.
-the fact that you do everything while standing in the same spot. maybe I am used to have both moving and striking at the same time from my TKD training.
-Style-related: no fancy kicks!
-3-year contract (this relates to my committment prob's)
-I expect the sifu to show up at least once in a month or two or even in 6 months to see us, but he doesnt.

What I like:
-All of my instructors and the friendly/respecting environment (thanks to Mr. Tai, Mr. Hung, Mr. Hsiao, and Mr. Ho)
-The instructors are very helpful including the ones in TX :)
-all the weapons they teach and the fact that they teach weapons
-the fact they teach tai chi
-the mentality of being soft, not wasting energy then hitting hard of mantis
-I like the Chi'Na part of training and the seminars.

what is difficult:
-doing my masters + working full-time (requires travelling a lot, both driving and flying)
-getting used to the type of training after spending some time in other arts, and other teaching styles
-always wishing to be doing something else. like if i watch "Only the Strong" i wish to switch to capoeira, if I watch supreme kicks people I wish I go back to TKD, and even when i see other styles of KF I wish Im doing them!!!
-I have a brother of mine who goes to class with me. he's just lazy, and hesitant way more than I am, which is not helping me at all. and I feel im bound to his decision too (at least partially). he's my older brother!

that's about it. thanks for listening.
btw, you're not the only person that I bother, I also bother Mr. Terry with a bunch of questions about TKD schools, styles and other related things. Oh, and I get advice from Mr. Shaolinwind as well.
thanks to all of you guys!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
um, I meant things you like or dislike about the style.

You must remember you are starting at a basic level class, your not going to be put right in the full contact fighting right away regardless of experience.

7sm

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
um, I meant things you like or dislike about the style.

You must remember you are starting at a basic level class, your not going to be put right in the full contact fighting right away regardless of experience.

7sm
the style? the style is all good, except the low kicks. when i was looking for school like a year ago i was looking for dragon, which i found out is very rare, then i thought eagle is good, but i couldnt really find a good school. anyway, i think this is over now. I think I am sticking with the school after all. and as far as the testing thing went my teachers were very understanding. they said it's not a problem and I can do the tests any time. so im doing them next tuesday. btw, Mr. Hung says hi to you, Mr. 7starmantis. I told him there's a person who's encouraging me and helping me out with kung fu, he was like I KNOW THAT MAN! he also recommended i read a couple of books including the ones you told me about. so i bought them! so that would be all for now! thanks again Adam for helping me out.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dmax999 said:

Agreed.

I like the no rank attitude as well. It is my considered opinion that ranks cause the martial arts no end of trouble. Unfortunately, there's no easier or more efficient way for an instructor of a large school to tell who is needs to work on what material.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
I think I am sticking with the school after all. and as far as the testing thing went my teachers were very understanding. they said it's not a problem and I can do the tests any time. so im doing them next tuesday.

Glad to hear it. Miscommunications can cause ill will to build up. The best course of action is almost always to ask (respectfully).

Latest Discussions