Advice For A Beginner

Inferno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just thought I'd introduce myself and ask a few honest questions to you people seeing as how most of you have a better understanding and experience under your belt. Hope nobody minds.

Anyway, to start things off, my name is Jon, and I plan to start taking Ninjutsu at a Bujinkan dojo starting January. The reason for the delay is because I want to absorb as much information as I can so I'll have a basic understanding of some concepts (hey, maybe I can even get the pronunciations right and not sound like an idiot!).

I've been interested in ninjutsu and taijutsu probably since I was a kid, but mostly thought of it as a far off daydream of mine. Well, I was doing a lot of Buddhist meditation and I felt that if I was going to expand my mind, I should find a way to expand my body.

I'm a skinny pale white guy of 18 years of age. I don't get much sun (since I work during the day till 1am) and then I'm either programming or doing something with my web servers. So needless to say, I'm a pencil pusher at best.

Now that you have at least a basic picture of who I am, I'd like to ask a few questions.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for me being a beginner, or anything they think I should read that they wish they did before they started or think would be useful to any training. Preferably this information could be online but books are just as good (just harder to get).

Also, the head instructor at the dojo I plan to attend is Paul Johnston who apparently learned his ninjutsu from Kevin Harder and his instructor Shidoshi Jayson Creasey (9th Dan). I'm wondering if anyone has heard of any of them and whether this would suffice as training.

Though I think I could answer this myself, I'd rather just have it confirmed by some others. Would you guys (and gals) say that training is enough exercise on it's own or do you need more outside of it. What I mean is, is most of the strength and endurance built up from training (doing the exercises as well as other calisthenics) or would one need to do additional exercise such as weight lifting to get to where you need to be.

Thanks a lot to all of you who do reply to this thread. And Any additional information or reading material via links would be much appreciated.

Oh, and Sorry for asking so many questions.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Inferno said:
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for me being a beginner, or anything they think I should read that they wish they did before they started or think would be useful to any training. Preferably this information could be online but books are just as good (just harder to get).

Since I am the ogre here, let me have the first, honest, crack at this.

First of all, look at your reasons for joining a Bujinkan dojo and see if they make sense. Maybe they are just the holdover from an adolesecent fantasy. My teacher sometimes asks this to his students and a good portion of them can't give any answer. And a lot of the remainder just seem to be mouthing the words. Sometimes you will believe one thing, but really be doing it for another. People do lie to themselves. Always keep this in mind when dealing with yourself and don't pretend to know your actual reasons anymore than people who can't keep relationships going can point to the reson without the help of a mental health expert's care.

Next, start with the following web page and read all you can.

Nononsenseselfdefense.com

You may not like what you read, but don't let the fact that some of what you hear may not be pleasent put you off. The most helpfull advice may not be put int he most nidely worded package.

Thirdly, try to read something about Japan and its culture from some books at the library. Don't try to get straight answers or easy, quick ones. Take the long route and learn all you can while you have the time. This is a lot less important that just getting the movements down, but it can spark some interest in what is going on and deepen your understanding of some of the aspect.

And always try to seek out the guy who will give you the most honest advice and avoid those that flatter you while trying to get something like a seminar fee from you. The more flowery the talk, the more you should find someone else.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Inferno: "Just thought I'd introduce myself and ask a few honest questions ... Hope nobody minds."

Mind, heck no! Honest questions are what keep this forum going (that and the soap opera drama of 'us vs them'). ;)

"The reason for the delay is because I want to absorb as much information as I can so I'll have a basic understanding of some concepts ..."

Stop delaying, go train!

"(hey, maybe I can even get the pronunciations right and not sound like an idiot!)."

No one's going to think you sound like an idiot because you can't pronounce a few Japanese words, especially if you're a novice practicioner. In fact, coming in as a fresh newbie and trying to impress people with your knowledge of jargon with come off as a bit pretentious and may be a turn off.

I recommend, since you're going to do all this research first anyway, that you go ahead and learn all you can, but then hide your knowledge when you enter the dojo - kyojitsu, ne? that way you can surprise them with how fast you're learning. :D

"I've been interested in ninjutsu and taijutsu probably since I was a kid, but mostly thought of it as a far off daydream of mine."

This is probably what prompted Don to say this: "..., look at your reasons for joining a Bujinkan dojo and see if they make sense. Maybe they are just the holdover from an adolesecent fantasy."

"Well, I was doing a lot of Buddhist meditation and I felt that if I was going to expand my mind, I should find a way to expand my body."

If you want to expand your body, eat more & lift weights - budo is about life and death - being healthy is important, but budo is more about developing a fighting spirit and learning strategy to better be able to survive.

"I'm a skinny pale white guy of 18 years of age. I don't get much sun ... So needless to say, I'm a pencil pusher at best."

Not a problem. Just train.

"I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for me being a beginner,..."

Start training.

Oh, if you're going to do any training outside, get some sunscreen. :p

"... or anything they think I should read that they wish they did before they started or think would be useful to any training."

I read a lot of books on ninjutsu (mostly Hayes' and Hatsumi's stuff), and I don't think they made much difference when I actually started training. Sure it helped that I recognized what an ichimonji-no-kamae was, and I wasn't surprised to learn numerous, horrible things to do to another human being, but for the most part, none of those books really made any sense until after I trained for a while.

I'm not telling you not to get all the books and videos you can. Research all you want - information gathering is a specialty of the ninja afterall. ;)

I'm just saying that it is not a prerequisite.

"Preferably this information could be online but books are just as good (just harder to get)."

There is tons of info online, you just have to know how to search for it. If you want to see some books - find a Barnes and Noble bookstore, go to the Sports-Martial Arts section, find a couple books by Hatsumi; go to the coffee shop, get a cookie and a latte, sit on a couch and spend a couple hours flipping pages.

(I'm a poor college student - this is what I do since I can't afford to buy the books yet)

"Also, the head instructor at the dojo I plan to attend is ... "

Is this the dojo you're talking about http://24.72.111.200/index2.html ?

"Would you guys (and gals) say that training is enough exercise on it's own or do you need more outside of it."

If you want strength and endurance, you'll build a little of that in the dojo, but the strength is more for the small stabilizing muscles and in the flexibility of joints as you develop better coordination. There aren't many exercises or calisthenics in Buj' dojo, most of the time is spent on kata and "playing."

If you want more muscle, lift weights. I'm sure once you start training, you can ask your instructor and fellow students what kinds of diet and exercise they would recommend based on your goals and body type.

Out-of-dojo training such as weight-lifting, jogging, etc. are not required to learn budo, but if your goal is overall health and fitness, it couldn't hurt.

"And Any additional information or reading material via links would be much appreciated."

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.jigokudojo.com/ (FAQs and Articles section is quite good)
http://kihon.com/newsletter/ (Kihon Newsletter Archive)
http://www.bushido.fsworld.co.uk/terminology.html (basic MA glossary)
http://www.mbdojo.com/onlineguide.html (training guide)
http://www.donrearic.com/modernmetsubushi.html (on metsubushi)
http://www.donrearic.com/main.html (other good stuff)
http://www.n-i-n.com/Tools.html (training tools)
http://kihon.com/oj/backstory/0929021148.html (on "shikin haramitsu daikomyo")
http://members.aol.com/Cunningham/ju01004.htm (on "shu ha ri")
http://www.advdojo.org/shuhari.html (another on "shu ha ri")
http://www.geocities.com/remipulwer/index2.html (various information)
http://www.illuminatedlantern.com/cinema/features/ninja.html (myths and movies)
http://www.universal-ninja.com/Templates/articles.shtml (collection of articles)
http://www.universal-ninja.com/Templates/video.shtml (collection of videos)
http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33 (another forum - read all the stickies!)
http://www.kutaki.org (yet another forum - this one is based in Japan, and you can contact the Hombu administrator here)

That should be enough to get you started. :p

"Oh, and Sorry for asking so many questions."

No, please, ask more. We are all (in theory anyway) here to help eachother.

Don Roley: "Since I am the ogre here, ..."

Yeah, just like Shrek - ugly and mean on the outside, lovable and having a good heart on the inside.

"... start with the following web page and read all you can.

www.Nononsenseselfdefense.com"

I agree. There's a lot to read, but it's worth it.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:

Yeah, just like Shrek - ugly and mean on the outside, lovable and having a good heart on the inside.
That was just too funny of a mental image there.... :D

1 other point I'll add in, do a good read through of the ninjutsu forums here. There are a lot of good solid nuggets of info and intel buried in there.

:asian:

OP
I

Inferno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
First of all, look at your reasons for joining a Bujinkan dojo and see if they make sense. Maybe they are just the holdover from an adolesecent fantasy.

I have actually thought of this numerous times, but I think (after much deliberation) that the reason I'm so attracted to it is dueto the survival aspect. I've read countless books on survivalists including the old "The Survivor" issues by Kurt Saxon.

I was only stating that I have liked it since I was a kid (and not just because you look cool, it's more of a utilitarian thing). But thank you very much for your concern, I definatly see your point.

I'm going to read those links and then probably get abck to you all. Thanks everyone for your help.

OP
I

Inferno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I hate to double post especially since I'm new but I felt I needed to answer this question in order to get a response.

Shizen Shigoku said:
"Also, the head instructor at the dojo I plan to attend is ... "

Is this the dojo you're talking about http://24.72.111.200/index2.html ?

Yeah, that's the one I admit, calling it basic is an overstatment especially with no domain. It is a non-profit organization (maybe all Bujinkan dojos are, I don't know) and the city isn't big not to mention Paul told me that the classes are small because people don't like the contact of ninjutsu.

Of course, I'm trying to justify the dojo probably so I cna feel better about myself for going to it, but I would like honest feedback.

If it is non-profit though, I might consider redoing the website for the dojo as well as maybe getting a domain. If it's paying for hosting, I'll host it as well.

Anyway, thanks again.

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Cant say I know anything about the Instructors. My only comment, and this is not meant to be devisive or to atack them in any way, but the video clips they offer on the site show some cutting with a katana and the person doing the cutting has a very bad technique....in fact, if it were actual combat and he missed, he would be killed..................you can see he is using too much strength and leading with his head. Balance is severely compromised.

I would reccomend talking (in person) to as many Bujinkan dojo's that are within your training area. If you dont have other Bujinkan dojo's close by, consider emailing the others in Canada, perhaps they know each other and can help with reccomendations.

Good luck and Welcome!

Markk Bush

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:

Ninjutsu is like an onion, it has layers!

Ok, I was about to mention this, but it seems like you have avoided the issue. One thing I reccomend for newcomers to any art is to avoid people who make their living off of teaching. The school you are planning on going to does not fit in this catagory. That is no assurance of quality, but it has been my
bitter experience that teachers who need to put food on the table by teaching do things that a person who has no such need will never do. If the students all want spinning back kicks, the non- proffesional teacher will tell them he does not teach it and not be concerned if they leave for someone who does. The proffesional teacher might teach some really weird kick just to satisfy them and keep their money coming in.

But the same thing can be said about ego. There are a lot of teachers out there in it for the ego. The talk like they are humble, but the way they act and such should be a tip off. They too will do anything to keep a student under them. And they can be pretty nasty as well. Watch for a teacher who seems eager to impress you with his abilities while giving lip service to still being in a learning stage.

Since you are in Canada, start reading some of the forums and realize just what the heck is going on with the Bujinkan Brotherhood up there. Moko could have told you, but he is not here anymore and can only be found at e-budo. The mess that is going on in the great white north is just too difficult for me to follow without a score card.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
There is an intensity level in traditional training that is missing from most modern systems. In a traditional, you will train. In a modern you will practice for 45 minutes twice a day. The level of training will often be more intense. One does not stop for little aches and pains, or at the sight of a little blood. One will pause only long enough to wrap the area, and then continue. But, this level is also found in all serious practitioners, regardless of interest. The golfer hits so many balls their hands go numb, the probowler tosses so many balls their fingers are raw, etc.

My advice is decide if you wish to play, or train. There is nothing wrong with either, as long as you are honest with yourself. Just as one is not a body builder if one does 1 set of 10 twice a week, one can never truely walk the path of mastery on the twice weekly for 45 minutes road.

Good luck on your journey.

B

Blind

Bester said:
My advice is decide if you wish to play, or train. There is nothing wrong with either, as long as you are honest with yourself. Just as one is not a body builder if one does 1 set of 10 twice a week, one can never truely walk the path of mastery on the twice weekly for 45 minutes road.

Good luck on your journey.
That's really well put.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Thank you. :asian:

Some of the arts I have tried, I "play" with. By that, I mean I do them for relaxation, balance, fun. Like working on a few Savate kicks to add some 'jazz' to my technique.

Other arts I work on a more serious basis when I can. I am too often on the road the last year to really commit though. I would like to try the Buj. or possibly some kung fu, though I think I would prefer to train that in China. No email or web = better focus, for me anyway. :)

OP
I

Inferno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I see that Enson was banned because of all those neg points, which is probably a good thing for the fact that since I've come here it seems he just asked the same question in every single post he made to the point that I thought I read that thread already.

Anyway! With all this Rick Tew vs Hatsumi junk flying around, I was wondering if anyone can give me the lowdown on this, or provide a link. I think I picke dup a lot, apparently Rick was a student of Hatsumi's and then he thought it was done all wrong or something? I know could google it, but I'm finding a lot of seemingly Bias information and was wondering if you guys could lend me a hand that way.

I realize I probably could have started a new thread, but I hate to clog the forum with threads of me asking newbie questions. Also another installment of links would be greatly apprciated if there is anything else out there.

Thanks,

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nope. He trained with Robert Bussey, whose training was mainly conducted in Japan by Nagato sensei.

Comparing the way Tew moves with Hatsumi sensei is kind of like comparing En Vogue with Laurie Anderson.

S

ShadowKnight

You can check out this site, it has some good info on neutrition and the RTMS (Rick Tew's Martial Science) program.

http://www.totalwarrior.com/index.shtml

RTMS is not an art but a science. Their main focus is ninjitsu but they also teach other forms to better mold you as a student. Similar to what Bruce Lee did but in a more ninja aspect.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MOD NOTE

The Same Post is Posted Multiple times in all 3 Forums of Ninjutsu. I am removing all but the first post. Please be aware that this type of cross-posting is against the rules of the Forum.

-TECHNOPUNK
-MT MODERATOR

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Inferno said:

I'll give advice.

1. Show up
2. Continue to Show Up
3. Show up for training even when you 'don't feel like it'
4. See #1

Everything else is easy.

I can't count the number of people who e-mail once, or come once, or who come for 2 months and buy all the most expensive gear and all the books and all the stuff...And then...Suddenly, no longer SHOW UP.

/steve

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Ninjutsu is like an onion, it has layers!

Ok, I was about to mention this, but it seems like you have avoided the issue. One thing I reccomend for newcomers to any art is to avoid people who make their living off of teaching. The school you are planning on going to does not fit in this catagory. That is no assurance of quality, but it has been my
bitter experience that teachers who need to put food on the table by teaching do things that a person who has no such need will never do. If the students all want spinning back kicks, the non- proffesional teacher will tell them he does not teach it and not be concerned if they leave for someone who does. The proffesional teacher might teach some really weird kick just to satisfy them and keep their money coming in.

But the same thing can be said about ego. There are a lot of teachers out there in it for the ego. The talk like they are humble, but the way they act and such should be a tip off. They too will do anything to keep a student under them. And they can be pretty nasty as well. Watch for a teacher who seems eager to impress you with his abilities while giving lip service to still being in a learning stage.
I have never had doubts about my teacher, but the stuff that Don posted here kind of gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Back on topic, I don't know that I can really offer any advise, seeing as how I am only a beginer myself (5 months and counting!), so I will just say good luck and happy training!

Latest Discussions