About Sets

R

RCastillo

Is there really a need for them since they cover basics, and they can be done in many ways. Am I missing simething here? I am new to the idea of doing sets, and would like your advice.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, sets are just groupings of certain moves together. Block Set (block basics), Stance Set, Finger Set, etc. They are a lot more basic (simple) than forms.

It's just a tool to help the student be aware of the relationship and motion of each basics. However, these sets are more than just mere basics. The sets also have motion between the moves (particularly with the Stance Set). By examining the motion between moves, we also learn how to transition properly.

Given that sometimes we have to do a block after another block, knowing how to transition helps. Same goes for finger strikes.

Now you may ask--is it truly necessary to have sets since the techniques would have those basics in there already and transitional motions can be learned while doing techniques? You're right, theoretically, we can learn self defense without the sets.

As I've mentioned, sets are just practice tools and help to reinforce separate basics into our minds. It helps us to "see" the basics. The techniques are sometimes done at a point where people may just do them without noticing the components in there.

The sets are the "letters"; forms and techniques are the "words" of varying sizes and meanings. Once we've learned these, we can form "sentences". How good we are with everything we've learned depends upon how direct or eloquent we can be with our "physical language". We should be able to do self-defense without having to think as it should be well ingrained within each of us.

- Ceicei

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ceicei
Well, sets are just groupings of certain moves together. Block Set (block basics), Stance Set, Finger Set, etc. They are a lot more basic (simple) than forms.

It's just a tool to help the student be aware of the relationship and motion of each basics. However, these sets are more than just mere basics. The sets also have motion between the moves (particularly with the Stance Set). By examining the motion between moves, we also learn how to transition properly.

Given that sometimes we have to do a block after another block, knowing how to transition helps. Same goes for finger strikes.

As I've mentioned, sets are just practice tools and help to reinforce separate basics into our minds. It helps us to "see" the basics. The techniques are sometimes done at a point where people may just do them without noticing the components in there.

The sets are the "letters"; forms and techniques are the "words" of varying sizes and meanings. Once we've learned these, we can form "sentences". How good we are with everything we've learned depends upon how direct or eloquent we can be with our "physical language". We should be able to do self-defense without having to think as it should be well ingrained within each of us.

you go, girl. ;)

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
Is there really a need for them since they cover basics, and they can be done in many ways. Am I missing simething here? I am new to the idea of doing sets, and would like your advice.

I would say yes, but depends on what you are looking for. "Are you missing something?" is a loaded question and probably only one that you can answer. The Tracy's system doesn't really use this method of Kenpo or analytical study of motion. My opinion is that just sticking the sets in your training will do "something", but not much because it won't really fit into the mindset of the system that your training in. Ed Parker's American Kenpo is a system, so taking certain components of that system don't really serve much purpose other than adding a little glitter to something that isn't gold.

I think the idea of being loyal to a fault is one that many face. Meaning you feel that you can't leave, and advance on to a more evolved system because often our heads are filled with all this ancient chinese secret mumbo jumbo. Direct decendants of yada, yada, yada who cares... Do what's best for your training, your students and your evolution. But don't just hodge podge it when you have people who can get you to where you need to be.

Just my thoughts, jb:asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jbkenpo
I would say yes, but depends on what you are looking for. "Are you missing something?" is a loaded question and probably only one that you can answer. The Tracy's system doesn't really use this method of Kenpo or analytical study of motion. My opinion is that just sticking the sets in your training will do "something", but not much because it won't really fit into the mindset of the system that your training in. Ed Parker's American Kenpo is a system, so taking certain components of that system don't really serve much purpose other than adding a little glitter to something that isn't gold.

I think the idea of being loyal to a fault is one that many face. Meaning you feel that you can't leave, and advance on to a more evolved system because often our heads are filled with all this ancient chinese secret mumbo jumbo. Direct decendants of yada, yada, yada who cares... Do what's best for your training, your students and your evolution. But don't just hodge podge it when you have people who can get you to where you need to be.

Just my thoughts, jb:asian:

Well, that's why I asked, cause I thought it would add more refinement for me, and my students. I feel it useful, and it looks like a great exercise. Master Tatum doing it really caught my attention!:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given that Striking Set ! has sparring application out the kazoo, and Blocking Set 1 can just as easily be a striking or breaking set? Finger Set 1 teaches about ranges for finger weapons, not just what they are, etc. I see the Sets as being extensions of the Basics, where you still get to practice full range of motion, correct articulation of the weapon, and proper execution in an Ideal phase (if you can say that about Basics?)

This is a transitional phase toward your forms. Isn't it easier to do Short Form 1 after learning sequential blocks with both hands? How about the correlation between Long Form 1 and Coordination Set 1. Then in the Second Sets we take upper body and lower body out of isolation and combine the two.

Yes, you can learn the Basics in a "Static" (horse stance way), or you can shadow box, or you can do basics on the bag, or you can do Sets, or you can do all of the above. And if you can, why shouldn't you?

-Michael

Latest Discussions