A silly question

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've noticed that each of the WTF BB poomsae are more difficult to do. I get that (ideally) one should be able to perform more complicated poomsae as one progresses. However, I've come to realize that noone reaches 9th Dan until age 53 at the earilest. The upper forms have jump spinning crescents & jump side kicks. I know that not all can do those techniques well as they get older. So my question is: "Why are those techniques in those upper ranks poomsae?"

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
My master was in his fifties when I began studying under him. Every technique he taught he demonstrated himself, jump-kicks and all. He preformed them with an effortlessness that was as equally awe inspiring as it was discouraging. I remember asking myself "will I ever be that smooth?" I haven't seen him in nearly ten years but last I heard he hasn't changed. I believe if you train regularly, live a healthy life and avoid injury you can bring these skills long into your later years.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just for contrast, the most physically demanding techniques in Ch'ang H'on TKD are in the 2nd-3rd Dan range, while the most technically demanding techniques are at the higher BB levels... although that's a generalization, and there are a few exceptions; Po-Eun (learned to test to II Dan) is incredibly difficult technically, while there is an incredible jump in physical difficulty for Juche (learned to test to III Dan).

Generally, of the 3 patterns learned at each rank to test to the next level of BB (for testing to II-V Dan), 1 is, relatively speaking, easier than the other 2 (usually, but not always, the first one - to get you back into learning patterns again, if nothing else), one is technically difficult (the one no one likes, because it's hardest to do correctly, even though it may be easy to learn), and one is physically difficult (the one most people use to compete).

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just for contrast, the most physically demanding techniques in Ch'ang H'on TKD are in the 2nd-3rd Dan range, while the most technically demanding techniques are at the higher BB levels... although that's a generalization, and there are a few exceptions; Po-Eun (learned to test to II Dan) is incredibly difficult technically, while there is an incredible jump in physical difficulty for Juche (learned to test to III Dan).

Generally, of the 3 patterns learned at each rank to test to the next level of BB (for testing to II-V Dan), 1 is, relatively speaking, easier than the other 2 (usually, but not always, the first one - to get you back into learning patterns again, if nothing else), one is technically difficult (the one no one likes, because it's hardest to do correctly, even though it may be easy to learn), and one is physically difficult (the one most people use to compete).

I remember going through both Po-Eun & Juche in a seminar with (now Master) Earl Weiss. They were quite a lot more difficult than other I had learned. And, they were among the most interesting. Kacey, I'd love to go over them with you & learn them over again. There were so many facits to them to learn at one time.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for contrast, the most physically demanding techniques in Ch'ang H'on TKD are in the 2nd-3rd Dan range, while the most technically demanding techniques are at the higher BB levels

That is just one, among several, reasons I think the Ch'ang H'on black belt forms are superior to the WTF's.

It makes sense: require the most physically demanding forms at the age most practitioners are likely to be at their athletic peak.

Latest Discussions