A question.

NinjaBurr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Me and a couple of my friends were watching UFC and started to get the idea of actually making a little one ourselves, as in going out in the backyard with MMA gloves and Mouthguards and training and sparring.

To me it sounds good but bad, but I'd like to hear opinions because we train with our Martial Arts anyways but this would be kind of a leisure time thing on the weekends to get together with the guys sort of thing.

OP
NinjaBurr

NinjaBurr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can you give me some explaination on it please? I know it's not a very good idea, but if you give me explainations or examples then I can take them into my head and understand it:p.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The obvious thing is there is a chance of injury. If that happens, then what? Assume the worst case scenario and if you are prepared for that and make the choice, it's your choice.

Chances are nothing too serious will happen, but if it does, are you ready?

At a absolute minimum you should make sure everyone is over 18, knows the risks, and is ok for fighting according to a doctor. Same as would be required in a event.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to mention the civil liability. Someone is responsible for what happens on that property. If it isn't you, then it's not your place to do it.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Me and a couple of my friends were watching UFC and started to get the idea of actually making a little one ourselves, as in going out in the backyard with MMA gloves and Mouthguards and training and sparring.

I see this kind of thing quite often...... on AFV (America's Funniest Videos). :ultracool A few buddies in a back yard somewhere, imitating Pro-Wrestling, UFC, or some other thing they've seen on t.v. Next thing you know, someone's getting slammed into a brick wall, falling off a picnic table, through a glass door, dropping to their crotch on a fence post, or smacking their poor, unsuspecting friend a bit too hard.

The whole thing sounds like fun, but if you want to have fun, go to the beach - - go to an amusement park - - or go compete in an organized tournament. Backyard events often turn into bad mishaps. When I was a young, 1st Dan, and my good friend was a red belt, we used to do extra training at my house - - just like we did in class every day. One time, we were sparring in my basement (cement floor, low ceiling), and I did a spin crescent kick. My front hand caught an overhead, hanging light fixture with 4ft fluorescent tubes. The tubes dropped and shattered on the floor. Luckily we froze and were not cut, but it could have been bad (not to mention the risks of sparring on a cement floor in the first place).

No matter how careful you are, accidents happen. Without a senior instructor present, you probably won't learn much, and someone might get seriously hurt or killed. There was Black Belt in Indiana a few years back who didn't make it all the way over on a flip, landed on his head, snapped his neck and died right there in his school. What you're talking about doing is basically goofing around with some friends. The Martial Art is too serious, and deadly for goofing around in a backyard. I don't think you would recommend gun enthusiasts shooting off a few rounds in the back yard, or you guys trying disarming techniques with live ammo in the gun.

The Martial Art is deadly - - don't play around with it! :mst:

Stick to training with a qualified instructor in a controlled environment. If you are serious about UFC, go join it. If you are not serious, then don't play around with it!

Just my opinion - :)

Chief Master D.J. Eisenhart

OP
NinjaBurr

NinjaBurr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I understand that anything can happen and that has gone through my head many times, and I have selected the worst case scenerio, and it's at my house and I told my friends that if they agree to do this and they get hurt it is their own fault for agreeing to do such a thing.

Me and my friends have done these things before, I forgot to mention that. But I just wanted opinons on it, we didn't get hurt last time because we had precautions for it. I know that SOMETHING can happen, but that's just the price everyone makes when they do something dangerous.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The obvious thing is there is a chance of injury. If that happens, then what? Assume the worst case scenario and if you are prepared for that and make the choice, it's your choice.

Chances are nothing too serious will happen, but if it does, are you ready?

At a absolute minimum you should make sure everyone is over 18, knows the risks, and is ok for fighting according to a doctor. Same as would be required in a event.

Not to mention the civil liability. Someone is responsible for what happens on that property. If it isn't you, then it's not your place to do it.

What they said..I gone on enough Squad runs to know these things CAN and DO happen...

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else who has voiced a concern about this. Leave this to the professionals.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only say listen to all the previous posters PLEASE!! It is not a backyard, leisure type activity!

Even professional promoters of MMA fights can get it wrong never mind people messing around in the back garden.. When we put on an MMA fight night (we're about to do our 28th next month) the preparations are very involved and expensive. Firstly the cage or ring has to be safe with thick enough matting, we use judo mats under the canvas. We have proper para-medics, a doctor plus an ambulance sat outside the venue ready, we have a qualified referee,the fighters have a medical before fighting AND fighters still get injured!

I think practising sparring/fighting of any style is best left in the Dojo/Dojang where you have the instructor to watch over plus that way you will learn.

OP
NinjaBurr

NinjaBurr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, it has helped a lot.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand that anything can happen and that has gone through my head many times, and I have selected the worst case scenerio,

The worst case scenerio is someone could die. Tell us how you have prepared for that.

This is not a case of some buddies playing around in the back yard. If you are emulating UFC/mma fighting, you are trying to choke someone out, snap an arm/leg, or knock them unconscious. Lets look at those three possibilities:

1=You choke them out: Can you revive them? Do you have cpr training? What if you try to revive them and you can't do it? Are you close to a hospital?
2=You break an arm, leg, or joint: You call an ambulance to reset the joint and they stay in the hospital a while. If they don't have medical insurance, they are out around $10,000-$50,000 depending on what happened. Bonus: they may not be able to go to work for the next several weeks and could lose their home if they can't pay their bills.
3=You knock them unconscious: call the ambulance and hope they can revive them. Possible brain trauma. Bonus: they die and you have to explain to the police what happened and possibly go to jail for "accidentally" murdering someone. Bonus: lose your job because you are in jail.

This is not a game when talking about this topic. Don't do anything dumb.

Side note: if you are trying to do mma fighting and are not trying to make them tap or knock them out, then you are just play wrestling, and not doing real mma. Still, even play wrestling can get someone a broken neck and a paralyized lower body if they fall wrong.

AoG

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Train under qualified instructors who carry insurance, etc. Learn the techniques and grow. Forget about backyard brawling as invariably someone get's hurt. Just my 02.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The last run I went on these teens wanted to have their own version of the WWF, it is by the grace of God that one kid did not break his neck doing a leap from the top rope..

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand that anything can happen and that has gone through my head many times, and I have selected the worst case scenerio, and it's at my house and I told my friends that if they agree to do this and they get hurt it is their own fault for agreeing to do such a thing.

As a legal sidenote....Unless they have SIGNED a release (and even then in some cases...and they are on your property, you're still liable....and in some cases, it doesn't matter how close of a friend they are, if any of the things in AoG's post happen, they may still end up trying to sue you....

Just something to think about.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst case scenerio is someone could die. Tell us how you have prepared for that.

This is not a case of some buddies playing around in the back yard. If you are emulating UFC/mma fighting, you are trying to choke someone out, snap an arm/leg, or knock them unconscious. Lets look at those three possibilities:

1=You choke them out: Can you revive them? Do you have cpr training? What if you try to revive them and you can't do it? Are you close to a hospital?
2=You break an arm, leg, or joint: You call an ambulance to reset the joint and they stay in the hospital a while. If they don't have medical insurance, they are out around $10,000-$50,000 depending on what happened. Bonus: they may not be able to go to work for the next several weeks and could lose their home if they can't pay their bills.
3=You knock them unconscious: call the ambulance and hope they can revive them. Possible brain trauma. Bonus: they die and you have to explain to the police what happened and possibly go to jail for "accidentally" murdering someone. Bonus: lose your job because you are in jail.

This is not a game when talking about this topic. Don't do anything dumb.

Side note: if you are trying to do mma fighting and are not trying to make them tap or knock them out, then you are just play wrestling, and not doing real mma. Still, even play wrestling can get someone a broken neck and a paralyized lower body if they fall wrong.

AoG

If you do any of the above bits I highlighted and damage MMA a lot of us will be really really annoyed and you won't like us when we are annoyed! A lot of us have put blood sweat and tears not to mention a lot of money into building up MMA to be a respectable sport and to have it knocked back because something stupid and avoidable happened would be really crap!

Ref para 2 wow that's a lot of money! thank goodness we have the NHS, it's not perfect but looking at that sort of money I'm glad we have it! If fighters are injured and have to stay in hospital here ( a very very rare occurance thankfully) at least they don't have to pay for it.

Fang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else you need insurance, a lawyer and a prenup signed and sealed. There is good news though, there are tons of things you can work on in the backyard,garage etc. You could do drills, foot races, obstacle courses, high impact target training, weapons etc...If you still wanna work out with a higher level of realism, whatever the case may be don't do it on your property, go for a hike and vary your training surfaces accordingly...

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
the wwe add says it best please don't try this at home. even with professional training u still get hurt man, well u only hav one life dun mess around with it.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Me and my friends have done these things before, I forgot to mention that. But I just wanted opinons on it, we didn't get hurt last time because we had precautions for it. I know that SOMETHING can happen, but that's just the price everyone makes when they do something dangerous.

Hey there NinjaBurr, sorta kinda sounds like the neighborhood backyard Fight Club. Will you sportsfans be taping it for your local cable access channel, or even better for ESPN? :boxing:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seriously though, I agree with the others here. It's a risky proposition and in the long run I see ER visits, lawsuits and jail time for some of those brave enough to get involved… :uhohh:

Latest Discussions