A nice display of Miao Dao

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a graceful display. I'm not familiar with the Miao Dao - it looks like it takes a lot of extension to keep that thing moving and clear the ground.

This is off-topic, but this video gives me a place to ask a question I've been meaning to. I see those cross-legged stances from time to time in CMA. I'd be interested in hearing from someone with strong knowledge in them. What is the reason for them (what's the strength they bring that makes up for the confinement of the legs)? And do those work well for folks with knee problems?

Pepsiman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just recently learned about the Miao Dao. From what I've seen, it looks like a great form to learn. It's beauty lies in it's simplicity, I think.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
those cross-legged stances from time to time in CMA.
The cross legs in CMA is called "偷步(Tou Bu) - stealing step". It serves 2 major functions:

1. Close distance without letting your opponent to notice.
2. Spin your body and move your body to be out of your opponent's attacking path.

It's footwork. It's not stance.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The cross legs in CMA is called "偷步(Tou Bu) - stealing step". It serves 2 major functions:

1. Close distance without letting your opponent to notice.
2. Spin your body and move your body to be out of your opponent's attacking path.

It's footwork. It's not stance.
I've been taught the first reason, but also that it is a way to escape if you start being thrown off balance. Similar to your second, but slightly different in application. Never heard the spinning your body out of the way, but that makes sense.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Never heard the spinning your body out of the way, ...
Here is an example.

- Both you and your opponent have right side forward.
- Your opponent steps in and punches you.
- You move your left back leg to your right behind your right leading leg.
- Now you are on the left side of your opponent's attacking path.
- If you throw a right hay-maker, your right hay-maker can hit on the back of your opponent's head.

Latest Discussions