A Case Of Energetics??

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
A question for those who study energetics...

I was told of a version of the hammerfist strike, specifically to the top of the head, where the strike is made with the the pinky finger in a "pheonix eye" position.
The guy who told me said he would only use that hand formation on top of the head. Anywhere else he uses the standard hammerfist.

Can anyone tell me why?

--Dave

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The pinky finger? That seems strange. I cann't imagine useing the pinky finger in such a matter period. It's too easily brocken. Then again, I wouldn't much want to use a Phoenix Eye strike to most of the body. Only the softest parts, top of the skull is not one of them.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, From what I understand? Energetics is energy flow.

Putting the pinky in the phoenix position could increase the energy flow.
NOT sure about this theory!

Hammer blows are usually done with the bottom part of the fist...the small you can make you fist the more power on the impact. Putting the pinky in the phoenix position moves the pinky out and spread the fist apart/wider.

So far keeping the fist close for hammer blows is the most wisely use methods for strikes...to the head? ...maybe someone broke their pinky and found it was safer to strike w/pinky in the phoenix position? Because you useing extra muscles to move the pinky into the phoenix position..this will slow you down a bit!

Phoenix is also in Arizona.

The more natural your hand can be position? ...the better or more effective your hits. ..........Aloha

OP
D.Cobb

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello, From what I understand? Energetics is energy flow.

Putting the pinky in the phoenix position could increase the energy flow.
NOT sure about this theory!

Hammer blows are usually done with the bottom part of the fist...the small you can make you fist the more power on the impact. Putting the pinky in the phoenix position moves the pinky out and spread the fist apart/wider.

So far keeping the fist close for hammer blows is the most wisely use methods for strikes...to the head? ...maybe someone broke their pinky and found it was safer to strike w/pinky in the phoenix position? Because you useing extra muscles to move the pinky into the phoenix position..this will slow you down a bit!

The more natural your hand can be position? ...the better or more effective your hits. ..........Aloha

The pinky finger? That seems strange. I cann't imagine useing the pinky finger in such a matter period. It's too easily brocken. Then again, I wouldn't much want to use a Phoenix Eye strike to most of the body. Only the softest parts, top of the skull is not one of them.

Yeah thanks guys. I already understand the dynamics of the standard hammerfist. And in theory, I agree with what you guys say, but the guy who does this weird pinky pheonix eye, only does it to strike the top of the head, and trust me, there is nothing slow or soft about his technique.

Anyone else??

--Dave

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't doubt it is a valid (if weird) technique. I imagine it requies a large amount of conditioning to perfrom though, like a spear hand strike in a way.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah thanks guys. I already understand the dynamics of the standard hammerfist. And in theory, I agree with what you guys say, but the guy who does this weird pinky pheonix eye, only does it to strike the top of the head, and trust me, there is nothing slow or soft about his technique.

Anyone else??

--Dave

Seems kinda an odd place to hit for mine. Skulls are hard! Maybe he's going for a cavity press on the bai hui point and he needs that hand position to get it right? I don't know.

Funny, i was reading the bit on cavity presses in Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming's book "Qi gong for Health and Martial Arts" and it says that each cavity has it's own time of the day when it is most vunerable to attack. For Bai hui this is 3-5am. I don't know about anyone else, but i can't imagine keeping that kind of information in my head just so i could work out which technique to pull out in a fight! :erg:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He's using the weakest finger of the hand to make such a strike and says its the only strike he will make to the head.

It sounds like a principle that was adapted to fit a strict vegetarian practitioner that believed killing or maiming an animal is absolutely forbidden.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd certainly like to see the strike. I can't imagine why I would, in a fight situation, use the weakest finger against the hardest part of my victim's body. I'm not denying it exists, I just can't imagine why. I'm baffled. If it is to strike to a pressure point on the skull, imagine the training it would take to use the smallest knuckle on the hand, to strike an obviously small target area, that is undoubtedly going to be moving at the time.

Like I said, I'd like to see it ... sounds interesting. I can't imagine I'll ever be that proficient in such a survival situation, but that's me. I'd certainly like to be.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A question for those who study energetics...

I was told of a version of the hammerfist strike, specifically to the top of the head, where the strike is made with the the pinky finger in a "pheonix eye" position.

Ummmm...excuse my iggurance, but what is a phoenix eye position?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ummmm...excuse my iggurance, but what is a phoenix eye position?

The Phoenix Eye is made by 'half extending' a finger, so that you would be hitting with the first knuckle. It's normally braced by one or more fingers. I've also never heard of using any but the first, second, first and second, or the whole fist. But using the whole fist is called a leopard claw I believe.

Latest Discussions