OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I expected to be spending the day in a disaster-recovery mode, trying to repair what I could with whatever facilities I could with whatever limited bandwidth I could manage. Unfortunately do not even sound stable enough for me to be doing that. The good news...my Chilean co-worker and his family are OK, they have some damage to the roof of their home, but little more. I have also heard that most of the folks that we work with in the region are also OK.

The bad news...the damage the quake did was quite extensive. Santiago was 200 miles away, yet the quake made at least 2 bridges impassible, and did a lot of other damage to the city's infrastructure. This is like an earthquake in Boston taking out a bridge in NYC. :eek:

My co-worker has said the local authorities have are warning that it is very dangerous to go about, and are encouraging everyone to stay inside.

The situation in Concepcion is....much worse.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maunakumu: be safe. Keep to the high ground.

8.8 in Chile.
7.3 of the coast of Okinawa
The Haitian quake.

That just seems like an awful lot of serious siesmic activity in a short period of time.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maunakumu: be safe. Keep to the high ground.

8.8 in Chile.
7.3 of the coast of Okinawa
The Haitian quake.

That just seems like an awful lot of serious siesmic activity in a short period of time.

This isn't surprising. Major quakes can stress the plates and cause them all to shift around a bit.