52 hand blocks

muay saksit

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm search information and video on the 52 hand blocks (aka Jailhouse Rock, Jailhouse Boxing).

Thanks in advance,

muay saksit

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is a myth. Some people have latched onto it to make some cash and increase their ego. But the core stories all can be summed up as urban legends told between cons without any basis in reality. The stuff I have seen that claims to be jailhouse rock is just a bunch of tricks that differs from teacher to teacher.

Wes Tasker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Go to www.fwape.com which is headed up by Daniel Marks (coachpit on the aformentioned mma.tv thread...). They have a DVD available called "Show & Prove" that has some 52 practitioners talk about the history and demo some of it. It's money well spent if that's what you're interested in. They also have a two DVD documentary called "Breakin' the Glass" that's more interviews than demo - but the first DVD is a really good intro to the subject.

I've met some people who practice this and the people on the DVD aren't just doing "tricks" and actually you can see a bunch of commonalities run through what they do...

From what I understand the TRS videos are not the most reliable for a good look at what's known as 52, but I haven't seen them - so take that for what it's worth.

-wes tasker

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have studied what is called the 52 but it was from down south and called P farm slow drag (partchman state pen in Mississippi) JHR is les about tricks and more about survival. I am very surprised that with all the "reality" based stuff people are hocking these days more brothers havent attempted to make a quick buck as self defense instructors.

peace

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think there is another thread on this somewhere here I just can not find it at the moment.

If it is just dirty boxing what makes it different than other arts that teach dirty fighting?

By the way there is no way it can be taught in prision or jail so why call it that? just asking

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the way there is no way it can be taught in prision or jail so why call it that? just asking

It was supposed to have been developed by thugs who were jail at point or another. It's called Jailhouse Rock after the song by Elvis which became really popular about the same time the system was developed.

stevieb_8006

White Belt
Reaction score
very similar to keysi. tho more rhythm based. The elmira style anyway. Wing chun without forms kind of.

stevieb_8006

White Belt
Reaction score
Right, as far as I can tell its more a method for developing timing. Constant hand motion is used to make "blocking" easier. Basically its easier to go from 30 - 60mph than it is to go from 0 - 60mph. Does that make sense?