5 style kung fu

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am looking for info on the 5 style kung fu animals and there specific styles of fighting. I found a few good web sites but what I want to find is what style counters what style, I found it before linking off this site and now I cant find it, I looked everywhere. I know dragon counters tiger, and leppard or panther counters dragon. And it explains why. Anyone know where to get this info.

M

Mark Weiser

Well I think you may have a source.

Me! I study Five Animal Kenpo along with Jun Bao Wu Shu under James Ibrao and Trevor Haines.

The Five Animals are

Dragon, Tiger, Crane, Snake, Leopard.

Each of them have unique qualities.

Crane defeats Snake (The crane's primary tools [elbow, knee, and crane hand] are excellent equalizers against the grappling and trapping actions of the snake)

Dragon defeats Tiger (A dragon yields with the oncoming force of an opponent and takes advantage of his attacker's committed energy. A tiger provides the explosive power and follow through from which a dragon is empowered. The stronger the tiger, the more effective the dragon technique will be)

Tiger defeats Crane (The tiger's fierceness and directness of attack overcomes a crane's urge to stay at a distance)

Snake defeats Leopard (A leopard is quite agile, utilizing speed and diversification of angles. The snake establishes contact and then ties the leopard up, thus limiting the leopard's ability to draw upon his swiftness)

Leopard defeats Dragon (Leopard utilizes rapid, snapping strikes which occur in flowing combinations. The dragon, waiting for committed action to fuel his response, is picked apart by the leopard. )

Mark E. Weiser

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha....:uhyeah:

Sorry, but that sounds like some old Shaw Brothers movie kung fu crap.LOL

The Shaw Brothers while their movies are entertaining ,led to alot of myths and untruths with their movies.

Now, i can't speak for Kenpo/Kempo because ,it's not kung fu ,but CMA animals are not used like that.

Tiger ~ Is known for it's power
Crane ~ Is Known for it's evasivness
Snake ~ Is known for it's pin point strikes
Leopard ~ Is known for it's speed
Dragon ~ Is known for it's Internal strengths

Those are just the five basic animals ,you also have

Monkey
Elephant
Lion
Eagle
Horse
Praying Mantis

amongst others.

Although you see it in movies ,you don't use monkey to fight snake or tiger to attack crane. That is movie hype that doesn't come into play in a real fight.

jeff:)

R

RHD

I've always had the understanding that they "basic five" (tiger, leopard, snake, crane, dragon) where based on concepts and attributes. Get good at the ones your naturally in tune with, but know them all if they're a part of your system.

Each animal can have something to teach.
As for one defeating another...
Maybe on a conceptual level...but that's all.

I've enjoyed animal forms and styles. They're unique and at times difficult to learn. What I find particularly interesting about them is that they are so very far away from the kick-punch/psuedo kickboxing that most striking based martial art systems employ when fighting. The animals (in my experience) don't work like that.

Mike