43 and new to martial arts

robb805

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Nice community here, I was lurking for a bit but decided to join up.

So as the title says I'm 43 and completely new to martial arts. I have a friend who is an MMA fighter and trainer and almost out of the blue I decided to take one of his classes to see what it was all about. Well after the first session I was hooked, I'm coming up on one month of twice a week training sessions. I honestly don't know what really hooked me except for it's fun. I'm not a violent person in fact I'm quite peaceful so this is way outside my norm. We have been doing some jujitsu and kickboxing in our sessions along with cardio and strength training and I have to say it's the hardest thing I've ever done both mentally and physically. Physically I'm not really strong in my upper body, years of cycling will do that, but with every session and doing some bodyweight exercises at home I can feel some progress. I'm the oldest person in the class so I'm usually up against high school and college kids who have way more fitness and endurance than I do but that doesn't seem to stop me from trying to get over on them. :ultracool

That's a bit about where I'm at now. I'm stoked to be a member here and to have a place to talk martial arts with everyone.

Robb

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Nice community here, I was lurking for a bit but decided to join up.

So as the title says I'm 43 and completely new to martial arts. I have a friend who is an MMA fighter and trainer and almost out of the blue I decided to take one of his classes to see what it was all about. Well after the first session I was hooked, I'm coming up on one month of twice a week training sessions. I honestly don't know what really hooked me except for it's fun. I'm not a violent person in fact I'm quite peaceful so this is way outside my norm. We have been doing some jujitsu and kickboxing in our sessions along with cardio and strength training and I have to say it's the hardest thing I've ever done both mentally and physically. Physically I'm not really strong in my upper body, years of cycling will do that, but with every session and doing some bodyweight exercises at home I can feel some progress. I'm the oldest person in the class so I'm usually up against high school and college kids who have way more fitness and endurance than I do but that doesn't seem to stop me from trying to get over on them. :ultracool

That's a bit about where I'm at now. I'm stoked to be a member here and to have a place to talk martial arts with everyone.

Robb
Welcome, Robb. Those high school and college kids can do nothing but make you better real fast. Glad you found us, enjoy the site.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! I started Isshin-Ryu at age 46. You'll do fine. Injuries will take a little longer to heal, and you may not see yourself progressing as fast as the younger guys, but do not lose hope; you also have advantages which will become clear as you continue to progress. Just keep training, and have a good time!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on picking it up and enjoy your foray in to the combat sports.

FWIW, I'm 19 and whenever I roll with guys your age who started grappling when I did I tap like a machine gun. :lol:

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Welcome!
Ditto to Bill, I started TKD at 43 and have to streach a little more than the "kids" do.

OP
robb805

robb805

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only "older" newbie. :)

I'm stretching a little extra this morning since we had a pretty long sparing session last night. Sore muscles today but it's the good sore. Still learning to keep my hands up but loving every minute of my training.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. I am sure you will like it here. I'm sure you have noticed there is a MMA sub-forum.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Welcome. As a cyclist, your cardio will serve you well, as will a strong core.

Take it easy. Listen to your body. And have fun. I stumbled into jiu jitsu at 36 and have managed to keep it going for 5 years now. It's been really good for me.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Rob - nicely written introduction good sir :bows:.

OP
robb805

robb805

White Belt
Reaction score
I did notice the MMA section. Lots of good stuff to read there.
Thanks, Steve. I've been checking out your blog. Also good stuff to read.
Thank you, Sukerkin. :bows:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pull up a chair and set a spell.