3 Strikes Law

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I often wonder why it takes a tragedy, especially one on a large scale, before people wake up, and realize that laws need to be changed. For those that don't remember the thread about the triple homicide that happened in Cheshire, CT. Here is a quick link to that. There was also a thread in Gen. SD here on Martial Talk.

So, while reading todays paper, I see this.

A "three strikes" law proposed for habitual offenders in the wake of the Cheshire triple slayings could increase the inmate population by 1,000 a year and require a new $110 million prison, nonpartisan legislative analysts say.

The legislature's Office of Fiscal Analysis describes the law, which would require mandatory life sentences for some three-time felons, as the most expensive proposal floated since the brutal home invasion in July.

Sadly, it took the loss of 3 lives, before people finally woke up and realized that things need to be changed. What I really find interesting, is how the cost of this is mentioned right away. I can just hear people now. "Oh my goodness!! They're going to have to build another prison? They're going to raise taxes? Its going to cost how much?" These are just a few of the things some say, but when you stop and think about it, there comes a time in life, when you have to give something, to get something.

Now, I'm certainly not against the building of another prison, seeing that some are apparently over crowded. I'm not against them cracking down on people (something they should've been doing all along) and making sure they're properly monitored. Obviously, the scum bags that did this crime didn't learn their lesson. Some will say that the system failed, but thats a cop out IMO, because like that old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." That being said, you can offer all the help and treatment you want, fact is, if the person refuses it, there's nothing you can do. People talk about how bad the death penalty is, yet, I'm sure it'll be a matter of time before people complain about a new prison. Like I said, you gotta give if ya wanna get. People would rather have someone spend life in prison so the family doesnt have to go to appeal after appeal, reliving the events, in the death penalty process. So, don't complain if prisons are built and its going to cost X amount of dollars to build it.

Anyway, enough ranting from me for now. :) I'm looking for feedback on this 3 strikes law. IMHO, I really hope it works. I just wish that innocent lives weren't taken before people woke up.

Mike

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like the idea. Like you said its sad that it to the brutal murder of three people for this to finally come around. Ill pay whatever it takes to keep people like that off the streets.

B

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the idea. Like you said its sad that it to the brutal murder of three people for this to finally come around. Ill pay whatever it takes to keep people like that off the streets.

B

I hear ya 06 and I agree..Someday I'd like to see prisons fashioned after the movie "Coma"..Keep them sedated and elevated for minimal costs..The ACLU would NEVER allow it...

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hear ya 06 and I agree..Someday I'd like to see prisons fashioned after the movie "Coma"..Keep them sedated and elevated for minimal costs..The ACLU would NEVER allow it...
Thats sounds like a great idea.

I go back to what I said in another thread. Instead of paying billions of dollars to keep them in jail. Buy me a gun and some bullets and Ill solve the problem.

Sorry, I had this discussion with somebody in my morality class last year and they got mad at me when I brought this up. They argured that we should try to help these people and solve what problems they may have and if that wont help to take them out society forever. I told them that my resolution did exactly that only that it was cheaper.

B

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The opponents of the 3 strikes laws usually twist words around, or even flat-out lie, in an effort to make it look unfair.

For example, someone who has committed armed robbery twice, has served two prison sentences, and upon being released, violates his parole by mugging someone for his wallet, getting about 20 bucks in the process, and has to go back to prison for 25 years.

Of course, the opponents of the 3 strikes law assert that this is unfair, and will spin their tales, claiming "Oh no! We sent a man to prison for 25 years over a matter of 20 dollars!"

Somehow, they seem to have forgotten, that this unregenerate individual had committed two felonies in the past, and that he was being sent back to prison for violating his terms of release, which is NOT a frivolous offense.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Better yet, why not just keep everyone locked down for 23 of the 24 hrs a day? I mean, instead of making prison feel like Club Med, with weights, a day room complete with TV and board games, let them come out for 1 hr. In that time, they can shower, make a call, get a visit, exercies, whatever. Then, right back to the cell. Mean? Cruel? Sure, but hey, I remember walking down the halls, doing my 1/2 hr. cell checks, stopping at one cell and doing a double take. I said to the guy, "Hey, didn't you just get out of here a few weeks ago? What the hell are you doing back?" He replied, "Yeah, I know man, I ****ed up." I'm thinking to myself, "Yeah, ya think!!" Guy never gave me any **** while he was locked up, but apparently he liked the idea of other people dictating his every move, rather than enjoy the freedom. Go figure.

But like you said Drac, heaven forbid we do that, and the ACLU will cry foul. I wonder what these people would think if a brutal crime happened to them. Would they take their rose colored glasses off or keep them on?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The opponents of the 3 strikes laws usually twist words around, or even flat-out lie, in an effort to make it look unfair.

For example, someone who has committed armed robbery twice, has served two prison sentences, and upon being released, violates his parole by mugging someone for his wallet, getting about 20 bucks in the process, and has to go back to prison for 25 years.

Of course, the opponents of the 3 strikes law assert that this is unfair, and will spin their tales, claiming "Oh no! We sent a man to prison for 25 years over a matter of 20 dollars!"

Somehow, they seem to have forgotten, that this unregenerate individual had committed two felonies in the past, and that he was being sent back to prison for violating his terms of release, which is NOT a frivolous offense.

Exactly!! I say get 'em off the street for taking the wallet, before they decide to do a home invasion, rape 2 people and kill 3 of them.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats sounds like a great idea.

I go back to what I said in another thread. Instead of paying billions of dollars to keep them in jail. Buy me a gun and some bullets and Ill solve the problem.

I've said the same thing. If they're guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt, strap 'em in and pull the switch. Then again, what if they're not really guilty? Now we just killed an innocent person. But, how many appeals can we have? I don't think its right for this Cheshire guy to have to relive year after year, so in this case, I'd rather see them get locked away for life. Let them rot in a cell. Either way, at least they'll be off the streets.

Sorry, I had this discussion with somebody in my morality class last year and they got mad at me when I brought this up. They argured that we should try to help these people and solve what problems they may have and if that wont help to take them out society forever. I told them that my resolution did exactly that only that it was cheaper.

B

Like I said, I'm with ya. People try to say that the system fails. Well you know what, its just like the martial arts. People used to ask me, "Why isn't my Johnny progressing?" I'd say, "Well, I am doing my part by teaching Johnny. Is Johnny practicing at home? Are you making sure he is training at home?" "Well, er, um...no, not really." Same thing with prison and rehab. The people who give the help are doing their part, but the person getting the help isnt receptive to it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Better yet, why not just keep everyone locked down for 23 of the 24 hrs a day? I mean, instead of making prison feel like Club Med, with weights, a day room complete with TV and board games, let them come out for 1 hr. In that time, they can shower, make a call, get a visit, exercies, whatever. Then, right back to the cell. Mean? Cruel? Sure, but hey, I remember walking down the halls, doing my 1/2 hr. cell checks, stopping at one cell and doing a double take. I said to the guy, "Hey, didn't you just get out of here a few weeks ago? What the hell are you doing back?" He replied, "Yeah, I know man, I ****ed up." I'm thinking to myself, "Yeah, ya think!!" Guy never gave me any **** while he was locked up, but apparently he liked the idea of other people dictating his every move, rather than enjoy the freedom. Go figure.

But like you said Drac, heaven forbid we do that, and the ACLU will cry foul. I wonder what these people would think if a brutal crime happened to them. Would they take their rose colored glasses off or keep them on?

I believe we should return to the days of the striped suites and single man cells..

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Those bastards should fry. The Parole system of Ct. needs some serious work too. Nonviolent past or not, once people start accumulating 26+ arrests, they need to serve their full bids.

Latest Discussions