2011 isn't starting well.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
What started as a typical evening in an upscale neighborhood in Walled Lake turned into the scene of a shootout Monday when an undercover police team tried to arrest two people under surveillance in a suspected home invasion ring.

When the gunfire stopped, Livonia Police Officer Larry Nehasil and the suspect he was after were dead.

Read more: Cop and suspect die in Walled Lake gunfight | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/201101...ect-die-in-Walled-Lake-gunfight#ixzz1BR3glQso

2011 is starting just like 2010 ended.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
And as usual:

http://www.freep.com/article/201101...icers-killer-in-Walled-Lake-break-in-shootout
Bowling has several past criminal convictions, according to the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office. They include convictions for armed robbery in Westland in 1986, assault with the intent to do great bodily harm less than murder out of Westland in 1987, domestic violence out of Roseville in 2006, and operating under the influence of alcohol causing serious injury in Detroit in 2010. He was on probation for that offense when the shooting took place, McCabe said.

Read more: Ex-con, 44, named as officer's killer in Walled Lake break-in, shootout | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/201101...n-Walled-Lake-break-in-shootout#ixzz1BR4RUWCK

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*shakes head*

I'm so sorry :asian:

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it normal for undercover police to perform the arrest, instead of better a better equipped (armour + guns) team?

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Undercover" doesn't mean unarmored or unarmed. I believe this officer took a hit to his vest which didn't penetrate. It was a head wound that killed him.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for undercover police to perform the arrest, instead of better a better equipped (armour + guns) team?
Sometimes. Generally, in my area, when we use undercover officers, we try to have uniformed or at least clearly identified officers for the actual arrest. This avoids confusion in the eyes of the public; after all, lots of our narcs look like dirtbags to fit in and someone seeing them nab someone could be misinterpreted by the public.

But from the article, this wasn't a UC arrest; it was plainclothes units intervening following observed criminal activity. From the articles, it seems that the officers were conducting surveillance on suspects. They observed a crime, and intervened. I don't know if they called for uniformed back up and didn't have time to wait or for some reason, decided to act without back up. That's a question for their agency to look at.

Bikewr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We've had a fair bit of local violence. Two lads actually tried to carjack an undercover officer who was conducting surveillance. They admitted they could see he was a police officer but decided to give it a try anyway... One got shot for his trouble, but a stray round hit the officer and went through his cheeks....
Seems to me there have been at least half-a-dozen instances of local police officers being shot at since 1-1....
As well, just the other day someone shot up the patrol car of one of the "protective services" officers at the local hospital which is aligned with our university.
7-8 rounds hit the car, but the officer was only grazed... No known provocation.

Latest Discussions