1970's Togakure Ryu Japan TV Documentry

M

mizu_teppo

Hello,

I have heard before of old rare footage of Hatsumi-sensei and the top Shihan doing demonstrations that was for a japanese television documentry in the 1970's. This footage is apparently very exciting as it shows rare forms of training, live rare weapons demonstration, and everyone is a lot younger than most of us are used to seeing. Now I thought that ever finding a copy of this show would be a lost cause, however, I did manage to find a source,

http://xpro.go.ro/koryu.htm

Scroll down to see the two available VCD's that contain this footage. The down side however, is that this source is known to pirate copies of Soke's videos and sell them for their own profit. I've heard that both Hatsumi-sensei and Qust know about this problem, though I'm not sure what is being doen about it. Anyway, because of this, I refuse to order from the above company. But, in any case, I would still love to see that rare 70's footage. So, does anyone know of another source for it? Thank you to all who reply.

OP
P

Peter Steeves

If anyone has access to a copy of the "London Boots" show, from Spring/Summer of 1997, I'd kill for a copy. I have about 3/4 of the show on tape, but missedthe beginning.

It's a Japanese TV funny-as-can-be spoof on the whole ninja thing, with a comedy troupe getting lessons from one of the very well known Shihan of the Bujinkan! The best part is when they take their new 'skills' to the test on the streets, and against a pro-wrestler!

Anyone I know well, who has been to my dojo has seen my copy, and will tell you about its humor value. I would really love to see the beginning, though.

OP
E

Elizium

mizu_teppo said:
Hello,

I have heard before of old rare footage of Hatsumi-sensei and the top Shihan doing demonstrations that was for a japanese television documentry in the 1970's. This footage is apparently very exciting as it shows rare forms of training, live rare weapons demonstration, and everyone is a lot younger than most of us are used to seeing. Now I thought that ever finding a copy of this show would be a lost cause, however, I did manage to find a source,

http://xpro.go.ro/koryu.htm

Scroll down to see the two available VCD's that contain this footage. The down side however, is that this source is known to pirate copies of Soke's videos and sell them for their own profit. I've heard that both Hatsumi-sensei and Qust know about this problem, though I'm not sure what is being doen about it. Anyway, because of this, I refuse to order from the above company. But, in any case, I would still love to see that rare 70's footage. So, does anyone know of another source for it? Thank you to all who reply.
If Quest know of this, then Quest wil have copies to sell. Contact them for information and prices. That way it is legal and not fraudulent.

OP
M

mizu_teppo

Elizium said:
If Quest know of this, then Quest wil have copies to sell. Contact them for information and prices. That way it is legal and not fraudulent.
No, this TV documentry has nothing to do with quest. What I said was that this place sells dubbed copies of the quest videos, and I was told that quest knows about the problem. The TV documentry on the other hand is something completely different, and it's apparently just a taped off of TV version put on to VCD, which as far as I know is okay. It's just that since the place has illegally copied Soke's other videos, I won't buy from them. Understand now?

OP
E

Elizium

Well I do not see where your problem lies. If you think it is alright to buy the VCD from them then buy it even though the copyright is still with the TV company that has produced it. Buy the other VCD or DVD's from Quest and you will be fine.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the problem Mizu Teppo might have is giving money who are obviously ripping off other people. You don't want to encourage them or deal with them. If they do scummy things like that, then how canyou trust them to really have the materials he is looking for?

I would say that if these people don't think they have to pay royalties to Quest and such, then if you get the footage, you probably could get away with making tons of copies for other people. Maybe even make a little profit. Turnabout is fair play and these guys probably will not be willing to go to anyone involved in enforcing copyrights.

OP
M

mizu_teppo

Don Roley said:
I think the problem Mizu Teppo might have is giving money who are obviously ripping off other people.
Exactly! In this case specifically, something almost directly related to Soke. If I were to order from these people who are ripping off Hatsumi-sensei, then to me, I would be betraying Soke by supporting something that acts against him. That is one of the most dis-honorable and dis-respectful things a budoka can do.

Maybe Soke will put the footage on a future DVD :)

Latest Discussions