Your training regimen

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

Pamela Piszczek
MT Super Moderator

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As much as locking a thread sucks, I think this horse is dead. Sukerkin take a look at his sig. It's apparent what his intentions are. If someone we're so smart and had so much schooling, you'd figure they would be able to figure out the simple meaning that most others seem to understand.
Brock, just ignore the guy. Every comment he has posted has been unfriendly, argumentative (when there is no argument to be had) or insulting. Sometimes, you have to let these kind of guys post til thre hearst content - every member worth his salt knows what kind of person Tanizaki is and will not take his posts and comments seriously.

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As a long time practioner of both armed and unarmed martial arts I have to say that I've been internally agreeing more with Brocklee's points (sorry, Tanizaki :eek:) because I understood implicitly what he was trying to say i.e. that certain martial techniques rely on transmission of power from the bodies linkages rather than simple muscle movement from the striking limb.

He pretty clearly said that energy somehow emanates from the planet through human beings, but has yet to describe this marvelous mechanism. Even taking your interpretation as true, which is very generous of you, tendons, joints, and other "linkages" do not move of their own accord. They only move when the muscles to which they are attached contract or expand.

Your long times in martial arts, which I respect, provides you anecdotal evidence, not medical or scientific knowledge.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I concur that it's true that the energy 'stored' in the tendons comes from the movement of muscles. What I was attempting to clarify was that it's not always the muscles directly connected to the striking limb that provide the force.

For example, the majority of the power in a sword cut comes from the hips and the actual execution of the strike. Thus, you can have triceps the size of Arnold's and the increase in cutting power would be much less than you might think (particularly as well-built practitioners tend to have a harder time than skinny ones when it comes to stopping using overt muscle strength and developing proper technique).

As I said before, I think perhaps a misconception has crept in regarding the statement that the energy comes from the 'planet' - I believe what was intended was to express the concept that all the energy we expend in executing techniques essentially comes from our interaction with gravity and the ground we stand on (for without a firm footing all techniques lose power).

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Final Warning!

There have already been 2 mod. notes already placed in this thread. This thread is steering away from the original topic. Before it gets locked, I suggest everyone return to the main focus of the thread which is "Your training regimen." If you want to debate other aspects, start a new thread.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He pretty clearly said that energy somehow emanates from the planet through human beings, but has yet to describe this marvelous mechanism. Even taking your interpretation as true, which is very generous of you, tendons, joints, and other "linkages" do not move of their own accord. They only move when the muscles to which they are attached contract or expand.

Your long times in martial arts, which I respect, provides you anecdotal evidence, not medical or scientific knowledge.

You're adding context to what I said. Transfer energy from the earth to the opponent. If it helps, transfer energy from the ground to the opponent. If for some reason you took it as magical fairy dust which protrudes from the earth, you're one of the very few. Many of the members on these forums know what is meant by saying "transfer the energy from the ground or earth". I think this is a good learning point for us all and we should make the best of this situation so that it doesn't happen again in the future.

Sukerkin, do you think we can make a sticky of commonly used phrases and their meanings and post it in the newby section so that the newer members will be aware? It would suck to waste 3 pages again on having to describe down to layman's terms, what should be common knowledge.

Tanizaki, your e-thugging started before I described energy transfer. You can see that in your first response to my reply. It's great that you enjoy arguing but like with most things in life an over abundance of anything becomes a nuisance. You appear to have learned a great deal through your schooling and its nice that you like to allow that to shine. There's more to life, however, when communicating and dealing with others and that is portrayed through social skills. In that department you seem to come up lacking because you first response to anything is to contradict anything that has been said.

Now, I'm only trying to help you seek happiness when I say this. Google "forums+love+argue" and see if anything is more to your liking. Here we enjoy discussing MA with active, positive arguments that usually result in benefit. Not arguing arguments that result in more arguing. I remember, a very long time ago, in kindergarten to be exact...there was this one boy that no one ever got along with because all he would do is tell the other kids that they we're wrong. The kid just sounded moronic and was bullied a lot because of this. He wasn't bullied because he went to a school full of bullies. It's because society didn't accept his idiocy. Not trying to directly insult you but that's a realistic term. Here's a definition from wiki:

"Idiot" was originally created to refer to people who were overly concerned with their own self-interest and ignored the needs of the community. Declining to take part in public life, such as (semi-)democratic government of the polis (city state), such as the Athenian democracy, was considered dishonorable. "Idiots" were seen as having bad judgment in public and political matters. Over time, the term "idiot" shifted away from its original connotation of selfishness and came to refer to individuals with overall bad judgment–individuals who are "stupid". In modern English usage, the terms "idiot" and "idiocy" describe an extreme folly or stupidity, its symptoms (foolish or stupid utterance or deed). In psychology, it is a historical term for the state or condition now called profound mental retardation.

I gotta get back to work, have a good dayhttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=idiocracies+&spell=1

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As to my training regimen {all faint as a post about the original topic is made :lol:}, it's a light-year away from what it used to be.

In my old Lau Gar days I used to follow a pattern of:

Start the day with a 2 mile run
Cycle 12 miles to university
Dinnertime was sparring, kata or swimming
Cycle 12 miles home again
If it wasn't a dojo training day it was weight training or cycle time trialing
End the day with a 1 mile run

Now my training regimen is:

Get up exhausted and go to work by car
Have a nap in my chair or browse the Net at dinnertime
Go home by car
Do the garden or DIY
Play Gran Turismo, Age of Empires or Counterstrike (or watch TV with the missus) whilst drinking wine
Go to bed late and read until even later

The exception to this is Saturday when I spend a joyous three hours waving swords around and sweating a lot.

Quite a contrast - which is why I'm now considerably more rotund than I've ever been in my life (since I quit my 60 a day smoking habit).

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
lol, I have graduated to something somewhat similar as yourself Sukerkin. I've recently incorporated a few beers to my daily practice...lol it's a trick I was told to use to help with the relaxation factor and still being able to maintain a strong structure. The center axis tends to turn kind of rubbery though, but I believe that is what is taught in the third form anyways (taking the center axis, that line that took so long to perfect, and bending it). Definitely adds fluidity to my forms.

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You're adding context to what I said. Transfer energy from the earth to the opponent. If it helps, transfer energy from the ground to the opponent. If for some reason you took it as magical fairy dust which protrudes from the earth, you're one of the very few. Many of the members on these forums know what is meant by saying "transfer the energy from the ground or earth". I think this is a good learning point for us all and we should make the best of this situation so that it doesn't happen again in the future.
Very well. Can you explain how human being extract the energy from the earth, and the nature of this energy?

Tanizaki, your e-thugging started before I described energy transfer. You can see that in your first response to my reply. It's great that you enjoy arguing but like with most things in life an over abundance of anything becomes a nuisance. You appear to have learned a great deal through your schooling and its nice that you like to allow that to shine. There's more to life, however, when communicating and dealing with others and that is portrayed through social skills. In that department you seem to come up lacking because you first response to anything is to contradict anything that has been said.
Yes, chances are if I post, it is to state a difference of opinion. That is because simply saying "me too" doesn't add very much to discussions.

Now, I'm only trying to help you seek happiness when I say this. Google "forums+love+argue" and see if anything is more to your liking. Here we enjoy discussing MA with active, positive arguments that usually result in benefit. Not arguing arguments that result in more arguing.
I think it is positive to chip away fantasy talk about unexplained energy with empirical fact. When that instructor told me that I could use chi to break a brick, was he helping me? I don't think so.

"arguing arguments that result in more arguing"? Wow.

I remember, a very long time ago, in kindergarten to be exact...there was this one boy that no one ever got along with because all he would do is tell the other kids that they we're wrong. The kid just sounded moronic and was bullied a lot because of this. He wasn't bullied because he went to a school full of bullies. It's because society didn't accept his idiocy.
I bet that kid is a pretty successful adult.

Not trying to directly insult you but that's a realistic term.

I would never take being called an idiot as a direct insult, of course.

benj13bowlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For my exercise regime I try to work out for about an hour and a half every other day. That ends up being three days one week and four days the next. I warm up with stretching, then lift moderate to heavy weights for about 45 minutes.
I try to vary my exercise as much as possible also, to keep from getting bored. Weight training can get very monotonous. I try to hit as many of the main muscle groups as I can while concentrating on maintaining proper form and using the full range of motion sop I will not lose flexibility. Then I do a random cardio exercise for 30 minutes (anything from racquetball to the Stairmaster). After cardio I cool down with stretching for a few minutes then I go home. Take a hot shower and drink a cold beer.

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For my exercise regime I try to work out for about an hour and a half every other day. That ends up being three days one week and four days the next. I warm up with stretching, then lift moderate to heavy weights for about 45 minutes.
I try to vary my exercise as much as possible also, to keep from getting bored. Weight training can get very monotonous. I try to hit as many of the main muscle groups as I can while concentrating on maintaining proper form and using the full range of motion sop I will not lose flexibility. Then I do a random cardio exercise for 30 minutes (anything from racquetball to the Stairmaster). After cardio I cool down with stretching for a few minutes then I go home. Take a hot shower and drink a cold beer.
Pretty similar to me. I'll do weights for 45-60 min 4-5 days a week, with the time varying on what muscle group I am doing that day. Then, 30 min of cardio, usually on the elliptical machine.

At class last night I was mentioning that my shoulders were still a bit sore from the gym that morning. "you gotta drop the gym, man" was the reply I received. :)

DaveyBoy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Pretty similar to me. I'll do weights for 45-60 min 4-5 days a week, with the time varying on what muscle group I am doing that day. Then, 30 min of cardio, usually on the elliptical machine.

At class last night I was mentioning that my shoulders were still a bit sore from the gym that morning. "you gotta drop the gym, man" was the reply I received. :)

Was it a Wing Chun class you were in? If so, what lineage/association? Just asking as I'm interested & find that knowing someone's school of thought helps me see where they're coming from in their posts.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you are training daily in wing chun then I espect most martial art schools will advise you to drop the gym!!

I would never tell a student to stop going to the gym but would express concern about how they were training.

It is not good to bench press etc. Free weights are good though. My advice is to find a weight that you do not have too much problem holding and lifting and doing several reps.

I have also found that a lot of bodybuilders/weightlifters develop too much of a grip which is detrimental to wing chun and sensitivity.

onibaku

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I live in a mountain so there are many trees. So I try destroying trees as many as I can with my hands and feet. I do this everyday

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Was it a Wing Chun class you were in? If so, what lineage/association? Just asking as I'm interested & find that knowing someone's school of thought helps me see where they're coming from in their posts.
Moy Yat lineage. I will continue to go to the gym.

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you are training daily in wing chun then I espect most martial art schools will advise you to drop the gym!!
My life commitments only allow me to go twice a week.

It is not good to bench press etc. Free weights are good though. My advice is to find a weight that you do not have too much problem holding and lifting and doing several reps.
Have you ever been to a gym? A bench press is done with free weights. Ok, maybe you could say a Smith press is not free weights.

Also, most people don't just do several reps; they do a few sets of multiple reps. I generally do 3x10.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tanizaki, I can only suggest one more time that if you want a productive experience here you might desire to be a tad less conflict orientated in your posting.

Perhaps you don't see it but I find it hard to believe that if you have training in the legal profession you cannot construct an argument that does not contain an antagonistic element.

Do you have prior, out-of-board issues with those you are disputing with? If so, it is best not to bring them here. Altho' it is generally perceived that internet fora are public spaces, in essence they are really more like private clubs because the membership can, ultimately, be monitored.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

Many times, people in the martial arts suggest leaving the normal gym training for several reasons.

The thing is that normally their reasons don't make that much sense... yet let me offer a "reasonable" argument.

Normally, training at the gym means doing a bodybuilder's type isolation training program.

These programs range in time from 30 min. to 90 min., 3-5 times a week, of movements that by definition do not train kinetic chains or "functional" movements. (This is NOT true of some exercises... yet it is true of most.)

These movements tend have limited use in Personal Combat situations... so in the mind of many martial artists, you would do well and better to spend that time in functional movements pertaining to Personal Combat training.

So what I suggest is that if you go to the gym, make your training more akin to specific movements used in Personal Combat training that use a lot of the body and not many isolating movements... except if you're "bodybuilding".

If you want I could share some that work well for me. Hope this helps.

Juan M. Mercado

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My life commitments only allow me to go twice a week..
That should be good enough. When I was at the peak of my training it was twice a week.

Have you ever been to a gym? A bench press is done with free weights. Ok, maybe you could say a Smith press is not free weights.

Also, most people don't just do several reps; they do a few sets of multiple reps. I generally do 3x10.
Yeah for those who can! My strength is in my shoulders. I struggle with multiple reps of most things