Your personal weakness

• Thread starter Master of Blades
  • Start date

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper
I have alot of weaknesses.

1: I like kicking alot, this means I stay outside and keep people out with thrusts so I have developed a total lack of footwork.

2: no crosses. I can't fire a cross from either side unless I hit them hard enough with a lead to turn their head.

3: move back rather than to the side. I seem to like the rocker step to much.. it works but it tends to lead into me walking backwards. I have been working on this and I'm getting better.

4: bad head movement. I rarely escape a punch by weaving or bobing, I always get out by a block or interception, sometimes slips work on jabs but genneraly not on combinations

5: the bigest one though is a lack of feal for fighting.. I don't know how else to explain it, I guess you caould say I'm never in "the zone". When I do something like play soccer I don't realy think about it. It's like one half of my brain handals tactical desisions and controls body movement and the other handels strategic desisions, everything just falls into place, there is no desision time, it just happens.. In soccer I think "oh there's an opening there" and by the time I'm thinking "there's" I have passed the ball. In Sparring I think "oh there's an opening there" and because my arms and legs don't take off untill around "there" I get hit around "an".

that and I suck at grappling.. but if I could get better footwork, crosses, head movement, latteral movement, and feal I would be alot better :p

basicly if I wan't such a dang newbie.

I second...all of these. I'm really good at blocking with my face. My feet don't move during sparring, and I keep forgetting my head can move independantly of my shoulders, and there are more then two axis's of motion. I fall really well though :)

OP
R

RCastillo

My age, I'm 47. Lost a step, or two. My knees are getting worse.

I don't do really well, unless my buttons get pushed.:asian:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have another weakness...everytime we spar...I try and pick a technique or two to work. however, when I try and execute a technique, I always end up doing something completely different to what I had planned on doing. perhaps it's following intuition, perhaps it's not. maybe it's a subconscious cop-out of some sort, I dunno.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Chronuss
I have another weakness...everytime we spar...I try and pick a technique or two to work. however, when I try and execute a technique, I always end up doing something completely different to what I had planned on doing. perhaps it's following intuition, perhaps it's not. maybe it's a subconscious cop-out of some sort, I dunno.

Quit sparring with Seig! That'll help!;)

OP
W

Wmarden

I like the early response of not enough space to list my weaknesses.

I am a beginner at martial arts after a long time away from them. So obviously technique is one problem.

Self discipline is not what it can be.

I lack good agressiveness. I am too defensive.

I tend to overanalyze things in general. Though with me needing work on technique this is not as bad a flaw as it could be.

What I have going for me. Strength, I am fairly strong. I have just enough endurance for a real fight and a program to improve the same.

I have good heart and force of will. To stop me, you have to knock me out.(been done already in the short time I have been training). I have a high pain tolerance. This is sometimes a problem though, because I can take injuries and keep going. And I have a good grounding in the moral structure of warriorship. Just need to put more of it into action.

Goodnight

OP
Z

zen_hydra

I feel that my size and strength and speed are my handicaps. I am 6"5" and about 250 lb. Fighting well has always come naturally to me. I feel that these things are holding me back from developing a better technique. When I spar, I almost always have an advantage over my partner, so it is hard to find new ways to push myself. Even as a beginner I found myself more often than not sparring against the higher ranked students in my school, and often beating them because of raw ability not technique. Don't get me wrong I do pointedly practice technique, but I am always wondering at how much better I could be without these advantages.

OP
Q

Quick Sand

The good news is that my balance is starting to improve a bit, but one of my other weaknesses is not getting any better. :( I don't like to hit people or things. I'm afraid of hurting myself or them. We don't have a punching bag most of the time when we train so we use kicking shields. I'll give them a little tap but I can't bring myself to really hit them. Consequently, I haven't developed any power in any of my techniques.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOTS...

But if I had to pick the one thing that is "defeating" me right now in my training its TESNION.

We are supposed to be fluid and relaxed, but I am always TENSE. When I activly focus on relaxing before responding I flow very nicely.

Latest Discussions