Young girl, karateka, fights off world-be rapist.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad the guy was apprehended.

http://www.theolympian.com/2011/05/05/1641895/k9-helps-locate-lacey-area-rape.html

The man had fled after the girl, who’d recently been taking karate lessons, fought him off, Thurston County Sheriff’s Lt. Greg Elwin said. She ran to a group of friends, who called 911, he said.

EDIT: Sorry, that's 'would-be' rapist, not 'world-be'. My mistake.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Glad the guy was apprehended.

http://www.theolympian.com/2011/05/05/1641895/k9-helps-locate-lacey-area-rape.html

EDIT: Sorry, that's 'would-be' rapist, not 'world-be'. My mistake.

This is the stuff I like to read (not typos but the success of fighting off an attacker). Shows that it is sometimes a good thing to study on how to defend yourself. Kudos to the girl for keeping her head and using her training, kudos to the cops that got him and hopefully will be locked away for a long time.

p.s. I'm sure a nice letter to the mods will get the world corrected... :lol2:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the story, Bill. I think it is important to remind people that it is ok to fight back. To many people feel that it can't happen to them and consequently make themselves victims. When in doubt "shout", then fight back with all you might. Better to be safe then sorry.

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great story and the exact reason high school girls need to start learning martial arts. That's the ideal age for looking vulnerable, right when they first start to hit puberty and mature. And that's also the ideal age for when most girls don't think too much about the fact that it's a bad idea to be in a bad part of town alone since they don't know better at that age.

I started learning martial arts when I was 15 on that note, but thankfully never had to fend off any would be rapists.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More information:

http://www.wsbt.com/news/kcpq-050511-sexoffenderattack,0,2400853.story

OLYMPIA—
A brave 16-year-old girl used her karate skills to fight off a dangerous sex offender near Olympia.
She told police she was walking on a trail when she passed a man who turned out to be a Level Two sex offender named Kevin James Stark.
She said he snuck up behind her and hit her over the head with a large object, then jumped on her.
That's when she said he pinned her arms to the ground, but she managed to use a karate move to kick him and free herself.

http://www.theolympian.com/2011/05/06/1643002/girls-karate-skills-overpower.html

The father of a 16-year-old girl who fought off an attacker Thursday said he thinks the karate lessons she had been taking for about a month helped her defend herself.
Givens said his daughter, who kicked her attacker in the groin and punched him in the face, has been taking karate classes at the Academy of Brian Johnson Karate in Lacey.

Not bad for a month's training. Good on her!

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Great story and the exact reason high school girls need to start learning martial arts. That's the ideal age for looking vulnerable, right when they first start to hit puberty and mature. And that's also the ideal age for when most girls don't think too much about the fact that it's a bad idea to be in a bad part of town alone since they don't know better at that age.

I started learning martial arts when I was 15 on that note, but thankfully never had to fend off any would be rapists.

I hear you and couldn't agree with you more.I think that the earlier and sooner that girls specifically train in martial arts and sports,the better for them. To my knowledge,my students haven't had to fight off rapists,but they've had to fight off abusive boyfriends muggers and (twice) carjackers plus the assorted neighborhood ruffians who've messed with them or their family members and of course they've run off the occassional man in the club who wouldn't accept NO as a answer.

FF1994

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I hear you and couldn't agree with you more.I think that the earlier and sooner that girls specifically train in martial arts and sports,the better for them. To my knowledge,my students haven't had to fight off rapists,but they've had to fight off abusive boyfriends muggers and (twice) carjackers plus the assorted neighborhood ruffians who've messed with them or their family members and of course they've run off the occassional man in the club who wouldn't accept NO as a answer.
What did your students do to fight off their attackers? Did they actually disable their attackers or just narrowly escape?

Latest Discussions