Young blackbelts!

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
How many of you feel uncomfortable being taught by a blackbelt half your age or atleast someone who hasn't even broken into puberty yet?

I have to say I am very impressed with the two youngsters in my class. They are both brother and sister. I think the little boy is about 11 and already he is a European forms champion. He is phenomenal and I can already see the great potential in him. Tuesday night my instructor made him take the warm and he was really doing a good job I thought, showing us new kung fu exercises. His forms are really good and he seems to have a lot of energy as well as being very disciplined unlike the other youngsters in our class who just mess around. His sister who is slightly older is just as talented and always just like him gives us a good workout!
I have no problem excepting help from them as they are a lot more knowledgeable about certain aspects especially forms.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tony said:
How many of you feel uncomfortable being taught by a blackbelt half your age or atleast someone who hasn't even broken into puberty yet?

I have to say I am very impressed with the two youngsters in my class. They are both brother and sister. I think the little boy is about 11 and already he is a European forms champion. He is phenomenal and I can already see the great potential in him. Tuesday night my instructor made him take the warm and he was really doing a good job I thought, showing us new kung fu exercises. His forms are really good and he seems to have a lot of energy as well as being very disciplined unlike the other youngsters in our class who just mess around. His sister who is slightly older is just as talented and always just like him gives us a good workout!
I have no problem excepting help from them as they are a lot more knowledgeable about certain aspects especially forms.
For technique I have no problem.

For Tactics, would look for someone a little more experienced.

Will the young ones get the experience? Yes. IT will take time :)
:asian:

C

Chicago Green Dragon

For me i am always open to learn something.

There are a lot of younger kids starting martial arts today. Many of them are starting to come from an interesting lineage of martial arts. So as for experience they might not have some that the adults have but they could have the knowledge that was passed on them from their family or families friends and experience from seeing it too.

Chicago Green Dragon

R

RHD

I don't think its ever a good idea to learn self defense from a kid.
I don't think its ever a good idea to learn fighting skill from a kid.
Mike

C

Chicago Green Dragon

What age range do you consider a kid ?

Chicago Green Dragon

RHD said:
Mike

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I agree with Rich. If they're teaching you a technique or form that you've never seen before, it doesn't matter how old they are, just that they know what they're doing and can communicate effectively. But for critique of my technique, or for tactical instruction, age matters.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm an old fart, and was being instructed by an 18 yr old female 2nd BB.
(She went to college in December.....)
She was excellent in both application, technique, and fighting ability.

I've already told the embarressing story of underestimaing her.

It depends on the "kid" teaching you.

E

elcajon555

I think the matority level is more important then actual age, I mean a 16 year old can act like a 10 year old and that 10 year old can act like a 16 year old. I believe with any teaching, it depends on who is doing the teaching and who is learning. If someone can effiectvely show and teach someone a new form or technigue, age doesn;t really matter with 2 conditions. First of all age, more so then rank, desires respect. Now the younger person even thought they are higher should show respect to the older individual when addressing them and helping them. Also the older student shouldn;t have a problem with it, and if they do find another teacher because nothing good can come from that type of situation. The older student might lash out and the younger student might stop teaching and the older student will certainly not learn. Now with things such as figting and self defense I agree that age matters. The only way to learn in fighting and self defense is to gain experience. And experience comes with age. I have been taught by people only a couple of years younger then myself, so I am not sure what it is like to be trained by someone half your age, also my head instructor is quite a bit older then me, so again I haven;t really had to deal with this situation. But I believe that if the person knows what they are doing and every party involved is respectful and willing and experience is not needed just knowledge, then age doesn;t matter, just to abilty to communicate.

S

Shinzu

you can learn something from everyone, but some things DO require an adult instructor.

R

RHD

Chicago Green Dragon said:
What age range do you consider a kid ?

Chicago Green Dragon

It's a physical, emotional, and intellectual situation, not to mention experience. Anyone under the age range of 18-25, and sometimes older would in my opinion, be a poor choice fro an instructor. Granted, if there is some significant experience, beyond studio training it may make a difference.
Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zepp said:
I agree with Rich. If they're teaching you a technique or form that you've never seen before, it doesn't matter how old they are, just that they know what they're doing and can communicate effectively. But for critique of my technique, or for tactical instruction, age matters.

I agree to a point, only because if the young BB has more experience, therefore possibly wisdom in a limited venue like tournament fighting or something like that, tactical/wisdom advice will be well taken. If they were try and tell my life lesson/street tactical 'rules', I think it would be harder to swallow, but I would like to think that I would at least hear them out... like to think that is:)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do they know more than you do about whatever it is their teaching? Then learn from them.
We all can learn something from everyone.
If your pride is so big you can not learn techniques form a young person , you may not belong in the martial arts

S

ShaolinWolf

I don't care about how old they are, as long as they are knowledgeable, and have great technique. And maturity has a large part of it too. I DO think that you need older, more experienced instructors for some things, though.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
RHD said:
It's a physical, emotional, and intellectual situation, not to mention experience. Anyone under the age range of 18-25, and sometimes older would in my opinion, be a poor choice fro an instructor. Granted, if there is some significant experience, beyond studio training it may make a difference.
Mike

Could you explain more how an instructor older than 25 would be a poor choice?

- Ceicei

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RHD said:
Mike
Kids in a position of authority over adults are one thing, but if they know the material and you don't, I can't think of a single reason they should'nt dispense it. "Ever" is a pretty big word. Do you think kids suck, or do you think it does damage to your or there development?
Sean

R

RHD

Touch'O'Death said:
Kids in a position of authority over adults are one thing, but if they know the material and you don't, I can't think of a single reason they should'nt dispense it. "Ever" is a pretty big word. Do you think kids suck, or do you think it does damage to your or there development?
Sean

I think that kids in general lack both physical experience and intellectual maturity. Remember, I was talking about Self Defense and Fighting, not forms, and not studio or point sparring. Look at those who need to train "for real". Are Police defensive tactics courses taught by 16 year olds? No. Why? Because it would be only under extreme circumstances that a 16 year old would have the experience, skill, and understanding to deal with a full grown adult intent on hurting them. Not to mention physical ability.
Mike

R

RHD

Ceicei said:
Could you explain more how an instructor older than 25 would be a poor choice?

- Ceicei
Sure...
I've known many adult instructors who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag with a pair of scissors. They may have thought that they could. They may have had all kinds of belts and ranks, but their understanding of actual application and ability was far more geared to cooperative "studio" opponent's than a "live" opponent with no rules and no respect. Sorry Ceicei, I realize that people study martial arts for a variety of reasons other than self defense and fighting, but in those departments many instructors are fooling themselves...as well as thier students...whether they know it or not.
Mike

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
Well, if they suck...

I think any instructor who is unable to teach, regardless of age, would suck.

RHD's previous comment was any instructor younger than 18-25 and sometimes older, would be a poor choice. Wouldn't some of the instructors between 18-25 also be a poor choice?
There is nothing special about 18-25 range and sometimes those older than 25 may actually be better if they have the experience and time to get very good with their art and instruction.

- Ceicei

R

RHD

Ceicei said:
I think any instructor who is unable to teach, regardless of age, would suck.

RHD's previous comment was any instructor younger than 18-25 and sometimes older, would be a poor choice. Wouldn't some of the instructors between 18-25 also be a poor choice?
There is nothing special about 18-25 range and sometimes those older than 25 may actually be better if they have the experience and time to get very good with their art and instruction.

- Ceicei
Sorry CeiCei,
I'm either not making myself clear or you're not reading the posts carefully.
What I mean is "no" to an instructor under 18-25, and that some instructors over that age range are also a "no". In other words, 18-25 is the absolute youngest age group that I've found competent instructors in. Older is almost always better unless they don't know what they're doing.
Mike

Latest Discussions