you train sloppy technique, your technique will be become retarded and yu will retrogress

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
so this is a line from bruce lee's fighting methods book....pretty much word for word. I have heard a thousand times that training weak will give you weak technique. lee goes so far as to say that you should never train technique when tired....or you will hurt your technique. I am not so sure if I agree. we all want flawless technique....but unless you are training for a performance or a sport contest, cant it be a good thing to train when tired, train when lazy, train when sick etc.?? what I am talking about is the self defense situation, the street fight situation. in these situations you may be tired, sick, drunk, leg may hurt, stomache bloated. if you happen in on self defense or street fight you cant worry about how your hand hurts from falling on it. I say get in there and train, try to train that sloppy technique out, but bottom line...its better to train sloppy than not at all.....its up to us to forge ahead. agree?

aaradia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You need to train how to have perfect technique, no matter how tired you are. Yes, you have to learn to push through being tired, but that should not be an excuse to be sloppy.

Why train the wrong way and ingrain that into your memory? No, that isn't smart.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so this is a line from bruce lee's fighting methods book....pretty much word for word. I have heard a thousand times that training weak will give you weak technique. lee goes so far as to say that you should never train technique when tired....or you will hurt your technique. I am not so sure if I agree. we all want flawless technique....but unless you are training for a performance or a sport contest, cant it be a good thing to train when tired, train when lazy, train when sick etc.?? what I am talking about is the self defense situation, the street fight situation. in these situations you may be tired, sick, drunk, leg may hurt, stomache bloated. if you happen in on self defense or street fight you cant worry about how your hand hurts from falling on it. I say get in there and train, try to train that sloppy technique out, but bottom line...its better to train sloppy than not at all.....its up to us to forge ahead. agree?

First of all, let's put this in context, shall we? The quote you're referring to (and, I would say, misinterpreting) comes from Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Advanced Techniques, and comes when he is discussing a lead finger jab as an offensive technique. Bruce makes the observation that such an action is a precision tool, requiring very accurate targeting, timing, distancing, and so on. He goes on to say that, as this is a "skilled" method, what might be referred to as a fine-motor technique, as opposed to a more gross-motor action, in order to get the most out of training this type of technique, you need to ensure that your training methodology allows you to repeatedly experience applying the action with skill/precision, and that training lazy (when tired or fatigued) defeats the purpose and aims of training a skilled response. The full quote is:

BruceLee said:
Like other skilled movements, it must be practiced when you are fresh. Whenever you are fatigued, your tendency is to use sloppy motions for finesse and generalized efforts for specific ones. By using continuous sloppy movements, your proficiency is retarded and may even retrogress. Anytime you are exhausted, change your drill from skilled to endurance types of exercise.

In other words, it's not general advice, it's to do with training in a way where you're going to get the most and best out of your efforts. Bruce was on the opinion that training to maintain your endurance (to keep going through fatigue) was more important than training something based in precision in a half-hearted, or sloppy fashion.

One thing to understand, particularly when it comes to the type of fine-motor actions Bruce it talking about, is that, under the stress of adrenaline, a lot of the fine-motor skills will disappear... and pretty much everything you do will become smaller, tighter actions. As a result, to practice them in a less-than ideal way, and to expect to still have the same result, is to not understand the realities of the situation. That's really what was being referred to. Yes, you won't always be in perfect health, perfectly rested etc if you need to defend yourself... but why would you rely on half-trained responses there?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thread title: you train sloppy technique, your technique will be become retarded and yu will retrogress

I'm not sure that this breaks any site rules, but it is crass, not to mention hypocritical. The first letter of a sentence should be capitalized. Secondly, 'you train sloppy technique' is also incorrect. It isn't the technique that is sloppy, but the training. Also, you apparently retrogressed by the end of your sentence, as you forgot how to correctly spell the word, 'you.' Oh, and end your sentence with a period.

If you're training technique sloppily, your technique will be become retarded and you will retrogress.

However, sloppy training doesn't cause 'you' to retrogress, but causes you to acquire bad habits or your technique to degrade.

If correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation would not have fit, a different rendering would have been in order:

If your training is sloppy, your technique will degrade and become sloppy.

I normally don't critique grammar and spelling, but seeing as how you are making use of the word, 'retarded' in your thread title, I feel it is appropriate to offer corretions.

Spelling and grammar corrections are about all that I can offer, as there is little to say about the topic. I would consider the idea that poor training will yield poor results to be an axiom.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I normally don't critique grammar and spelling, but seeing as how you are making use of the word, 'retarded' in your thread title, I feel it is appropriate to offer corretions.

Is the non-slang and non-disparaging towards a person use of the word retarded now considered offensive and to be avoided?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is the non-slang and non-disparaging towards a person use of the word retarded now considered offensive and to be avoided?
Not to me personally. However, if one is going to use the word, one should be able to spell simple words. Such as the word, "you."

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bruce Lee's quote from the book, which was regarding the leading finger jab technique specifically in the book but could be applied to many techniques is actually:

"Like other skilled movements, it must be practiced when you are fresh. Whenever you are fatigued, your tendency is to use sloppy motions for finesse and generalized efforts for specific ones. By using continuous sloppy movements, your proficiency is retarded and may even retrogress."

OP
M

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Daniel Sullivan, frank raud....have you ever heard of internet English? ever type lol? if my post title use of the word retarded offends you...report it then.....are we in grade 5? you find the word retarded hurts your feelings? how about I use some Jamaican patois? the only lesson you have taught me is that you are both mean-spirited.....you have also taught me to feel sorry for you........this mean-spiritedness is what is destroying our world.....so dig deep children.....good bye

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Daniel Sullivan, frank raud....have you ever heard of internet English? ever type lol? if my post title use of the word retarded offends you...report it then.....are we in grade 5? you find the word retarded hurts your feelings? how about I use some Jamaican patois? the only lesson you have taught me is that you are both mean-spirited.....you have also taught me to feel sorry for you........this mean-spiritedness is what is destroying our world.....so dig deep children.....good bye

Hey, to be fair, weve been refining the art of mean spiritedness for a few thousand years. Cut us some slack, non believer!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually I find this post (yours) mean spirited, not Daniels. On the internet we don't know who is on the other end so typing "regular English" is appropriate. A lot of us are older and type so our posts can not only be read but also understood correctly. Internet typing is for text or tweet not for something you want an intelligent response to.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gee, folks, I don't think the thread here is about grammar. And I'm rather confident that there's something in the Rules here about playing nice with each other. Of course, there's also something about avoiding internet speech, Leet-speak, and the like.

How's about we all get back on topic, and keep it friendly. 'k?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good advice in the last sentence there :nods:.

Of course it is also good advice to try your best to make your posts as clear and easy to read as you can. That said you have to take account that, despite being a Pay-as-you-go phone user and so getting royally ripped off for text messaging, I still insist on writing texts using full, proper, English words, complete with accurate punctuation and paragraph breaks :lol:.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thread title: you train sloppy technique, your technique will be become retarded and yu will retrogress

I'm not sure that this breaks any site rules, but it is crass, not to mention hypocritical. The first letter of a sentence should be capitalized. Secondly, 'you train sloppy technique' is also incorrect. It isn't the technique that is sloppy, but the training. Also, you apparently retrogressed by the end of your sentence, as you forgot how to correctly spell the word, 'you.' Oh, and end your sentence with a period.

If you're training technique sloppily, your technique will be become retarded and you will retrogress.

However, sloppy training doesn't cause 'you' to retrogress, but causes you to acquire bad habits or your technique to degrade.

If correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation would not have fit, a different rendering would have been in order:

Spelling and grammar corrections are about all that I can offer, as there is little to say about the topic. I would consider the idea that poor training will yield poor results to be an axiom.

:)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

After re reading this, it does come across as snippy and petty. My apologies to Martial Sparrer.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
What techniques would those be?
A whole assortment of stuff, if you think about it. And sloppy, in my opinion, is not a bad thing. Somethings only sloppy if youre measuring technical prowess as being important. I prefer to just look at whether somethings useful and for what.

Off the top of my head, the majority of head throws/takedowns (throws using the persons head, not throws onto the persons head [unless theyre that as well]).
Horizontal elbow strikes, given that the exact angle of the elbow as it comes in is usually anywhere between 3o'clock and 5o'clock, and the arc will vary based on your position and angle.
Headbutting, given that the only technical thing about it is where you target and not chicken pecking your way into whiplash like injuries.
Stabbing.

Latest Discussions