You got a licence for that Lemonaide? No? Then Ya'll are gonna have to come downtown

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[h=2]Police Bust Tweens For Operating Unlicensed Lemonade Stand[/h]
It's the middle of summer, and we all know what that means: adorable kids learning the basics of capitalism by running lemonade stands. Among those basics: you need to lay down a few hundred bucks at City Hall before you even think about buying lemons and paper cups. Three Georgia girls thought they would earn money for a trip to the water park by selling lemonade in their neighborhood. They were successful...until the police chief happened to drive by, and shut them down for selling lemonade without business and food vendors' licenses totaling $180.

This should sound familiar: last summer, an Oregon girl had her lemonade stand taken away for lack of a health permit, then was granted a reprieve. Officials in Georgia are apparently not so lenient.

Good to know that Midway Georgia is one of the safest places on earth, that they can devote police time to busting kids lemonade stands as there is no murder, robbery, theft, car accidents or even donut shops to keep them busy.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since they probably don't pay taxes on that lemonade they sell, this is one of those loopholes that Obama wants to close to deal with the debt ceiling. Imagine all the tax revenue if you put the law onto all the lemonade stands in the country. We'd be rolling in dough.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any IRS goon who goes after little kids deserves an old fashioned West Virginia Hello.
It involves tar, feathers and a long walk back to town.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any IRS goon who goes after little kids deserves an old fashioned West Virginia Hello.
It involves tar, feathers and a long walk back to town.

Indeed. Not to mention that with the exception of Alex's Lemonade stand the earning usually fall under the minimum reportable income...

Last edited by a moderator:

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But those kids are obviously greedy captitalists in the chrysalis stage of development and need to be stepped on before they grow into the exploiters that all capitalists become. Stomp it out early and we will reach heaven on earth a lot faster.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[h=2]Police Bust Tweens For Operating Unlicensed Lemonade Stand[/h]

Good to know that Midway Georgia is one of the safest places on earth, that they can devote police time to busting kids lemonade stands as there is no murder, robbery, theft, car accidents or even donut shops to keep them busy.

Hmm...is a permit needed to sell lemonade if they're on private property, ie: their front yard? I could see needing a permit if you're IFO a grocery store, but this, IMO, is akin to a yard sale. A few years back, we had a 1 day garage sale, using the garage in our condo. Posted some signs in the area, got lots of people. We didn't get a permit.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got a 'notice' from the Buffalo PD that permits are needed for yard sales, failure to obtain one is a $200 fine, 1st time, $500 2nd.
No information on where to get them, or what the cost is.
I haven't had one since, and can't wait to leave.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got a 'notice' from the Buffalo PD that permits are needed for yard sales, failure to obtain one is a $200 fine, 1st time, $500 2nd.
No information on where to get them, or what the cost is.
I haven't had one since, and can't wait to leave.

Swami says...City Clerk's office and they are low cost or free. At least, that was the case for every bloody permit in Boston.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Swami says...City Clerk's office and they are low cost or free. At least, that was the case for every bloody permit in Boston.
yeagh, but sheesh, unless you have one every weekend, a stinking yardsale?!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was also told I needed permits for my signs, something about 'neighborhood beauty'. I live next to a perpetual construction site, across from 3 houses of drunks. My cousin the cop said it was all BS, but it was official notice. Too much of a headache. If it's too much for me, how are the kids supposed to figure it all out?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All cities have their degrees of stupidity...not that I agree with it, there just doesn't seem to be any escaping it.

Austin, for example, would forbid you from having nude modeling studio in your home. My hair salon is telling me they have to move, because the state is taking their building by eminent domain....offices for the whatchamacallit affairs department or something like that. The thing I don't get is that less than 1/4 mile away was a visitor center NHDOT building by the bus station that the state already closed up. Why not have the highway on the property the state already owns?