You can't say some people didn't warn us....

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What about ball point pens? I bet I could do some decent damake with a good steel Parker.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Although stabbing him in the back could definately be considered excessive, how come she isn't pleading battered wife syndrome?

I would have thought it was a viable excuse in this case?

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
What about ball point pens? I bet I could do some decent damake with a good steel Parker.
Agreed. But think of the hassle you'll have trying to cut your steak with it!

And speaking of "steak puree".....could this be a conspiracy by Gerber?!?!

T

TonyM.

Ah the steel parker. I used to do pratfalls to amuse the children until five years ago when (this is where the stupid light comes on) I did one with a steel parker in my pocket and cracked two of my ribs. Had to jump up and pretend everything was OK so I didn't scare the kids. One of my best acting jobs.
And the number one murder weapon in China is.....drum roll please.......
RAT POISON!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
Agreed. But think of the hassle you'll have trying to cut your steak with it!
I laughed at this, but seriously, the point is that these are tools, and using tools is important...one can't limit them because they're multipurpose!

What would be a compromise--so you could cut your steak but not kill someone else? I don't know.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
What would be a compromise--so you could cut your steak but not kill someone else? I don't know.
That would be too easy. :rolleyes:

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
searcher said:
Why pointy sticks? They might as well outlaw having sticks in your yard. Then they can move on to the more menacing things like the walkers that senior citizens use.
I wish they would. And send a city crew around to gather up the offending sticks and take them to stick jail. I have to perform a "mower hazard sweep" every week and it's always sticks in my yard LOL!

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to know which "top chef's" were consulted, and what they really said. I just can't believe any chef worth their salt would say anything that stupid.

Not every knife needs a point, and I rather like cooking with the Japanese and Chinese style cleavers (not exactly safe in malign hands), but I would be severely annoyed if my 6 inch Sabatier vegetable knife became illegal. I don't use long large pointy knives that often in the kitchen, but I almost never use very short knives either. Anything much shorter than 5-6 inches is for odd jobs like peeling, and would be a fingers and thumbs liability in the kitchen if used for general jobs.

I wouldn't get too excited with the article, it is just another publicity grabbing renta-quote effort, and thankfully neither government nor law enforcement are daft enough to take it seriously.

Frankly, over in the UK our beef is probably more dangerous than our steak knives! :eek:

Does wind me up though, I like my kitchen kit just as it is!:samurai:

Dan

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have 2 questions to aproach on this subject.

1-EDUCATION seems to be lacking greatly here.
After 1,000 years of being here...the UK gov't hasn't accomplished anything but self imposed arrogant blindness as far as they're "subjects" are concerned.
They honestly believe if you put a plug socket in the bathroom...you WILL blow-dry your hair in the shower! So they are illegal in the bathroom.
It is also heavily implied that trying to "educate" people and letting them make thier own decisions is too late.
Could that actually be possible?

2-Penalise the ACT...not the OBJECT.
This is believed to be a useless approach as well.
Hence banning "every damn thing in sight".
Not to mention the "lets provide everything FOR the criminals and nothing for people to defend" approach.
Here...if you use a gun of any type to commit a crime,you get 5 yrs automatically.if you even have a gun of any type...5 years even if you do nothing.By the way...toy guns are being banned as well.
Airsoft,replicas,blank fires...whatever.
If you get caught with a knife,especially with a locking blade.....2 years.
Crime not neccessary.
Is this a viable option to actually penalise the crime...not the object?
What would be considered the "best" prevention,if one could even exsist?

T

TonyM.

The reason we have rounded end dinner knives now and only use pointed steak knives is because one of the Louis' was paranoid.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
I have 2 questions to aproach on this subject.

1-EDUCATION seems to be lacking greatly here.
After 1,000 years of being here...the UK gov't hasn't accomplished anything but self imposed arrogant blindness as far as they're "subjects" are concerned.
They honestly believe if you put a plug socket in the bathroom...you WILL blow-dry your hair in the shower! So they are illegal in the bathroom.
It is also heavily implied that trying to "educate" people and letting them make thier own decisions is too late.
Could that actually be possible?

2-Penalise the ACT...not the OBJECT.
This is believed to be a useless approach as well.
Hence banning "every damn thing in sight".
Not to mention the "lets provide everything FOR the criminals and nothing for people to defend" approach.
Here...if you use a gun of any type to commit a crime,you get 5 yrs automatically.if you even have a gun of any type...5 years even if you do nothing.By the way...toy guns are being banned as well.
Airsoft,replicas,blank fires...whatever.
If you get caught with a knife,especially with a locking blade.....2 years.
Crime not neccessary.
Is this a viable option to actually penalise the crime...not the object?
What would be considered the "best" prevention,if one could even exsist?
It really has a lot to do with how the British government views their "subjects". You aren't responsible, reasonable, thinking adults who are capable of making your own decisions. You are "children" of the state, who need to be looked after and cared for. Isn't that what monarchies were? The lord fathers and mothers of their witless subjects? I mean, didn't God himself ordain that the King and Queen look after their subjects?

We, here in the US, demand to be treated like adults. That's why most of us reject this type of "mommy culture" (so far). We don't need maternalistic governments keeping us safe from ourselves. Sorry to hear the rest of the world needs a nanny.

Latest Discussions