You can't say some people didn't warn us....

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
mj_lover said:
The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs."
I have a question concerning this statement. How long of a knife did you here that they were going to allow?

My degree field is in biology and I can tell you from first hand experience. That unless the person is abnormally large or obese it only takes a three inch blade to reaech any vital organ in the human body. It would only take a .5 to .75 inch blade to spill a grown man's guts out onto the ground.

I have seen the use of pocket knives(a 3 blade old timer) to literally gut a 200lbs body builder. He was split open about 2" below his diaphram from left to right across his entire abdomen.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
AnimEdge said:
Actually it has been proven that Blunt objects have a better chance of pushing the organs out of the way wail the pointed ones just stab through it

Jeez, I feel sorry for the poor monkeys that were part of that scientific study :eek:

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
I have a question concerning this statement. How long of a knife did you here that they were going to allow?

My degree field is in biology and I can tell you from first hand experience. That unless the person is abnormally large or obese it only takes a three inch blade to reaech any vital organ in the human body. It would only take a .5 to .75 inch blade to spill a grown man's guts out onto the ground.

I have seen the use of pocket knives(a 3 blade old timer) to literally gut a 200lbs body builder. He was split open about 2" below his diaphram from left to right across his entire abdomen.

i was just quoting the article...i have no more information on this then what is writen, i just thought i would bring up the point that it looks that potato knifes are probably going to be exemt, if this goes thru, well, thats what i'm reading in that statement.

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
lmao i have so many knives that could up you up better then a kitchen knife it aint funny, my favorite is my swat style butterfly knife... the government is stupid

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AnimEdge said:
Actually it has been proven that Blunt objects have a better chance of pushing the organs out of the way wail the pointed ones just stab through it
What does that mean--pushing the organs out of the way? I don't understand.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This just in ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8044197/

Girl, 9, charged with stabbing 11-year-old pal
Manslaughter case unprecedented for New York City

The Associated Press

NEW YORK - A 9-year-old girl fatally stabbed an 11-year-old girl in the chest with a kitchen knife during a fight over a ball, authorities said.

The 9-year-old, whose name wasn’t released, was charged with manslaughter.

Police spokesman Paul Browne told The New York Times that he was “unaware of anyone younger implicated in such an act in New York City.”
The victim, Queen Washington, 11, was pronounced dead at a hospital.

“I don’t understand how this could happen,” Joyce Porter, Queen’s grandmother, told the Times. She said Queen’s mother had called her earlier that afternoon. “She told me, ’Queen is dead,”’ Porter said, adding, “It was over a ball.”

The girls had been playing together at the 9-year-old’s apartment on Monday, but the girl’s mother had stepped out to borrow something from a neighbor, police said.

A spokesman for the Brooklyn district attorney’s office said the case would go to family court because the girl is younger than 14.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Man, that's just sad. You gotta wonder what type of environment that 9 year old grew up in to make her think of using a knife over a freakin' ball.
Either she grew up in a very violent atmosphere to where she thought that was an answer, or perhaps it was an angry impulse reaction. Really hard to say, but the police thought it enough to charge her with manslaughter. Very sad.

Franco

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
And the stupidity continues...Is anybody surprised?
H E double-hockey sticks NO.

Next thing you know, pencil sharpeners will be deemed too hazardous for the general public because they sharpen pencils to too fine a point.
Garden sheers...too sharp.
Hoes will need to be made of flexible material.

We MUST be saved from ourselves!!!!!!

Sheesh....

Your Brother
John

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
People were stabbing each other with knives perhaps more in the past, like the 60's-70's.

Why is this shocking nowadays?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess this would have to be labeled "Oops!".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8092034/

Lovers' quarrel turned deadly
By KATHRYN MARCHOCKI
The Union Leader

N.H. - MANCHESTER - After a lovers' quarrel turned violent, an enraged and bloodied Caryn L. Acevedo drew a steak knife from its holder in the kitchen and fatally stabbed her boyfriend in the back last month, court documents released yesterday reveal.

Acevedo, 23, told police William B. Burns, 28, punched her several times in the head and she "just wanted to scare him" when she went for the knife, thinking the 6-inch blade would only bruise him, a police affidavit said.

"She said that she stabbed him because she had so much hurt and anger built up inside her," the police affidavit revealed.

"She didn't want him to go to jail or the hospital, but also didn't want him to think that she was someone's personal punching bag," the affidavit said.

Acevedo, who worked as a receptionist at a local dance studio, is charged with manslaughter for stabbing Burns to death in the couple's 245 Village Circle Way apartment about 7:40 p.m. May 15.

Burns, a 1995 West High School graduate and former Bedford resident who worked at Home Depot in Portsmouth, died about an hour later at Elliot Hospital from the wound, which perforated his lung and aorta.

Acevedo later told detectives "nobody deserved being stabbed" and regretted what she had done, court records disclose.

But Acevedo - whose T-shirt was bloody, had blood coming from her mouth and swollen lips and face when she opened her apartment door to police - said she was "feeling a lot of rage" and felt threatened by Burns.

Acevedo said the couple moved into the apartment last summer or fall after they met while receiving treatment for heroin addiction at a rehabilitation center. Relatives said they planned to marry.

She said neither had used drugs in the last eight months.

The police affidavit gave the following account:

The evening began with a glass of wine at dinner, then the couple snuggled up beneath blankets on the living room floor to watch a movie.

Afterwards, Acevedo said Burns wanted to have sex, but she said she wasn't interested.

Burns, she told police, got upset and held her hands over her head. When he let her go, Acevedo said she went into the spare bedroom and began packing a bag with clothes.

Acevedo told police Burns followed her into the room and she threatened to jump out the third-floor apartment. Burns, instead, left the apartment, and Acevedo propped a chair against the doorknob.

But Burns returned 10 minutes later, pushed in the door and flung Acevedo to the floor where she hit her head and "kind of blacked out," she told police.

Burns angrily accused her of cheating on him, got on top of Acevedo and punched her in the head five or six times until she was able to push him off her about 5 to 10 minutes later.

Acevedo said she went into the kitchen and grabbed the knife. Burns came toward her, but turned and started to walk away when - without a word spoken between the two - she stabbed him in the left side of his back.

Acevedo said she held the knife to her side and wasn't even sure Burns had seen it before she stabbed him.

"She said that she thought he probably intended to hurt her, just like she intended to hurt him when she got the knife," Det. Sgt. Scott Legasse wrote in the affidavit.

"She said she didn't know what she was going to do, and that he was coming at her, and she felt somewhat threatened because of what had happened before," Legasse wrote.

Acevedo told police she didn't think "a knife like the one she used would actually go through his skin."

When blood began spurting from Burns' wound, Acevedo said she tried to stop the bleeding with a towel and called the 911 emergency line several times, but became disconnected.

While being treated at the hospital for facial cuts and bruises, Acevedo asked to speak with police. She later was brought to headquarters where she waived her Miranda rights and confessed to the stabbing and appeared to fully cooperate with police.

Among the dozens of items police seized in the apartment were a black-handle kitchen knife, butcher block knife set, hypodermic needle, pill bottles, empty liquor bottles, a bottle of wine and another of vodka and a diary, court records show.

Burns was arrested March 3 and charged with assaulting Acevedo twice and obstructing the report of a crime by grabbing the telephone away from her when she tried to call police, court records show.

Charges were dropped May 6, four days before Burns was set to go on trial.

Acevedo told police the night she stabbed Burns that she called police in the prior incident because she feared Burns' violence would escalate.

"She said that she ultimately regretted calling the police during that incident and had not wanted anything to happen to him," Lagasse wrote.

Acevedo is free on $50,000 bail. No plea could be entered on the felony manslaughter charge in Manchester District Court last month. Her case will now go to the Hillsborough County grand jury.

Before moving to Manchester, Acevedo lived with her grandparents in Sanford, Maine.

A Maine grand jury indicted Acevedo Oct. 4 for allegedly stealing $2,559.50 from her grandparents' ATM account in May and June 2004. She avoided jail time by agreeing to get help for substance abuse.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Darn it..and I love steak so. Guess I better start getting used to puree.

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Darn it..and I love steak so. Guess I better start getting used to puree.

MUST.....RESIST .... URGE... TO....JOKE....ABOUT....SWEENY TODD.....AND.... COMMENT.... ABOUT... HOW.... MEAT.... GRINDERS.....CAN... BE... USED.....

T

TonyM.

I've been predicting someone will try to ban stairs since the early seventies.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A search on steak knife on Yahoo! News turns up distressingly many impulse murders with them, such as this story that has been in the news of late:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nypost/20050605/lo_nypost/9yroldslayersawmawieldingaknife

While I still think it's silly to ban them, I can see why physicians would be frustrated and would want to bring attention to the issue.

But if you ban knives, they'll just find another available weapon, like frying pans or what have you. Still, knives are especially lethal.

Latest Discussions