You Afraid to Die: Part II (a supplemental question)

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I inclined to accept the potential of our connection; but, being trapped in this meat suit affects spirituality.

Not if you're resting on the collective (and cumulative) testimony of the wisdom traditions.

In the Judeo-Christian tradition, there is mythology associating how human beings are made in the "image" of the Divine and how man is beloved above even the angels. In Buddhism, there are prayers that give thanks for "this precious human body", as only human beings (not animals and not demons and not devas/gods) have the potential to realize fully Enlightened Consciousness. The Tantric currents of Hinduism and Buddhism have whole spiritual methodologies that revolve around doing "neat" stuff with your physical body.

What you are mistaking is having corporeal form and being exclusively identified with corporeal form. When St. Paul made the distinction between "psychic" and "pneumatic" Christians, he was talking about people that were still alive.

Attachment is the "problem", not existence.

Laterz.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jenna said:
MT to be an integral aspect of an unlimited source is a wonderful thing but is there any PRACTICAL realisation of this potentially awesome thing? or are we bound to theorise only while we are corporeal meat as Egg suggests

Meditation.

And don't give me any of this bull-hookey about how "meditation" is some Eastern thing that lets demons inhabit your spirit or some such nonsense. Christians like Thomas Merton and Thomas Keating have written extensively about the contemplative side of Christianity, there is Kabbalah in Judaism, and Sufism in Islam.

To be perfectly blunt, anything short of meditation ain't gonna get the job done. Even meditation itself might not get the job done, as there's a whole lot of luck and "mystery" in the equation, too.

But, if'n you're not meditating you're probably not gonna get it.

Laterz.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
BTW, Heretic888......Happy Birthday.....I'm a bit surprised to see that you're only 24.

Thanks.

So, is this the part where I joke about being the Anti-Christ? :D

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Not if you're resting on the collective (and cumulative) testimony of the wisdom traditions.

In the Judeo-Christian tradition, there is mythology associating how human beings are made in the "image" of the Divine and how man is beloved above even the angels. In Buddhism, there are prayers that give thanks for "this precious human body", as only human beings (not animals and not demons and not devas/gods) have the potential to realize fully Enlightened Consciousness. The Tantric currents of Hinduism and Buddhism have whole spiritual methodologies that revolve around doing "neat" stuff with your physical body.

What you are mistaking is having corporeal form and being exclusively identified with corporeal form. When St. Paul made the distinction between "psychic" and "pneumatic" Christians, he was talking about people that were still alive.

Attachment is the "problem", not existence.

Laterz.

Ouch! Dammit, you made my head hurt again!

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pffft cogito ergo sum and thus *not thinking* I disappear.... Keyser Soze style.... gone ha!

Jenna

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Ummm..... the red pill??
Take em both ha!

Come on dude its your 24th and you are here debating the essence of unity? Ha! What do 24 year olds do these days I do not know.... you kids and your books.... in my day it was all PS2s and XBoxes oh well pass me my pipe and slippers and I will have a choon on me gramophonograph

Seriously H888 - happy birthday to you happy birthday to you and a big cake in the shape of a moebius loop :D

Be good now
Jenna

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Ha! What do 24 year olds do these days I do not know....

Um, we go to Business Calculus classes on our birthdays, apparently.

I'm off!

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
pstarr said:
Yes, I do daydream about him and envision him as playing with many other children in a wonderful "always summer" place - finding new hiding places, new creeks and woodlands to explore (as he always loved to do with me).

But then I come back and realize that it's just a daydream and my heart feels like lead for a while. That morning - the last one - I kissed and hugged him before I left for work. I had no idea that it would be the last time that I would see him alive.

And so I tell everyone - "Kiss your loved ones every day. Hug them and tell them that you love them...because you never know."

You just never know.

Oddly, a student of mine saw Chris in a dream about a year later. Chris said that he couldn't "speak" to me because my grief was too overwhelming but he gave my student assurances that he was fine and that he'd be waiting for me.

Normally, I'd discount such a thing to nothing more than a weird dream but Chris gave my student some information that he (my student) couldn't have known.

This is why I have no fear of death. I realize that getting to it (death) may not be a pleasant experience but I believe that death, per se, is nothing more than passing from one place to another. There is no loss of consciousness (so I'm told by friends who have had near-death experiences), no fright, no pain -

And when your time comes, be assured that your friend (as well as many others) will be there to greet you...
Phillip hi yes I understand the leaden heart that remains once the daydream thoughts have dispersed this is a very real thing for you I am certain but there are many of us who possess such things if this is at all helpful to know

And the incident with your student yes these are the things I think we dismiss because of our relentlessly bourgeoning desire for proofs and facts and cynicism to what as children we embraced and to be as a child is a thing many of us would benefit from I think

I would ask a presumptious favour when your little mans birthday next comes around you say hi or light a candle for me too because we are all on the same path every one of us.

Thank you again for your humbling honest and thoughtful words I wish there were more like you

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Latest Discussions