You Afraid to Die: Part II (a supplemental question)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Q: Is death a gateway or is it a dead end full stop?

Hello to all my supertuff MT friends :) I hope your air is beautifully fresh to breathe today and well.... this is supplemental to a previous thread.. sort of and I truly hope for asking this I do not sound like I just fell off the morose coach to melancholy state, ha!

If you believe death is a gateway....
What and where is it a gateway to and what do you think will remain of "you" in that place..... Your memories? physical form? Will any xperiences persist?

If you believe death is a dead end....
Have you discerned a purpose for your being here? And if not how have you reconciled a finite existence with a lack ofthis discernment? :) Yes thatis just a very very little question I am aware :)

Personally I am dropped deep into the latter where some days Isee the point of me clear like big graffiti sprayed all over gable walls and other days I feel as if Ihave been blinded to what I thought I had seen and return to seeking meaning in the stupidist places. And today? Well maybe today is a Steveland Judkins day, ha! ... I may be blinded to everything but I am just gonna keep on playing my music while I got some melody left in me....

Thank you all for humouring me and I hope my even more questions are not becoming tiresome I ask sincerely because I am seeking to seed some thoughts in my mind :asian:

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe it is a gateway to the kingdom of GOD, our soul will be in heaven and are memorys will only be the purest of them all, no sorry, no pain and differently no more red die # 5.
Terry

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I believe it is a gateway to the kingdom of GOD, our soul will be in heaven and are memorys will only be the purest of them all, no sorry, no pain and differently no more red die # 5.
Terry
Hey Terry :) memories yes that I can understand and will you remember all your TKD ?? :) Not that I think you would have much use for it up there but just wondering.... you could be like God's doorman or something if he needed a little extra muscle with troublemakers, LOL :D

btw what is red die #5 are you telling me you are colouring your hair??? ha!

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry
doesnt this life belong to that kingdom as well?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I answered this elsewhere; but, I think it bears repeating. I deeply and honestly feel that my experiences will transcend this world and contribute to a greater consciousness. What it is, I cannot really say. I align myself with christianity; but, all religion is an attempt to put a face on a faceless thing.

I do not feel that 'I' will continue to exist, as such. I will become part of a greater 'I'.

Call me a heretic, I don't care :)

Btw, Jenna, love the Gabriel av. Sweet movie!

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My belief system is much like OnlyAnEgg, only I have a slightly different filter through which I prefer to see existence, rather than his Christian perspective.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I answered this elsewhere; but, I think it bears repeating. I deeply and honestly feel that my experiences will transcend this world and contribute to a greater consciousness. What it is, I cannot really say. I align myself with christianity; but, all religion is an attempt to put a face on a faceless thing.

I do not feel that 'I' will continue to exist, as such. I will become part of a greater 'I'.

As my views are much the same, I guess I'm a heretic, too. . .

Of course, that shouldn't come as any surprise. :D

I would like to add the qualification, though, that from an "ultimate" sense of things, there is no "I" that can die. It's not that the "I" ceases to exist, it's simply that there was no "I" there in the first place.

Now, from a "relative" sense of things, the self definitely has existence --- but the problem is that this existence is conditional, finite, and dependent in nature. . .

Somebody else mentioned that their "memories" would go on existing in some future form, but this is something of wishful thinking as I could cause trauma to the hippocampal formation in the back of your skull and most (if not all) of your memories would simply vanish. When the hippocampus decomposes along with the rest of your body, there go all your memoris, too.

That is because your "memories", like all the other finite qualities of the egoic self, are dependent on something else for their existence. Once that "something else" is no longer there, there goes your finite qualities. For example, you'd be surprised how much of your "personality" is influenced by things like hormones, the language you speak, or even the social relationships you have. Those are all gone when your body dies.

If there is some "I" that goes on existing after bodily death, it sure ain't the "I" you identify with when you're alive. It's an entirely different entity.

Of course, as before, all of this is somewhat moot as in the "ultimate" sense, only Unity exists. In fact, all existence is nothing but a manifestation of Unity.

Personally, I think the conception of an "afterlife" is just a symbolic allegory developed by the world's religious traditions to give the less-than-enlightened believers something to live up to and look forward to. The mystics generally realize that "heaven" is within, not "out there". Of course, then there's guys like me who definitely ain't enlightened but have still figured out "heaven" is just an allegorical symbolism. Kind of puts you in a bind.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.

Laterz.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:

Btw, Jenna, love the Gabriel av. Sweet movie!
Hey my nutritious friend :) yes you did answer this before and thank you for it and it certainly is worth repeating and I asked this before and I will ask again because I like to ask questions if I am allowed and I will ask you if your "I" ceases to exist then will you not be sad for that "I am" that is currently here roaming in the gloaming and calling himself Jim?

Thank you and I am glad you are liking my beautifully androgynous Gabe well I could think of no more KA angel to look out for me and for all my friends here :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
rutherford said:
My belief system is much like OnlyAnEgg, only I have a slightly different filter through which I prefer to see existence, rather than his Christian perspective.
Hello Jason-san :) and will you tell me please which filter you are viewing through? And this means you are not heading for a terminal but instead a junction? And then what will become of you when the tracks are switched for the final time?

Thank you :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
As my views are much the same, I guess I'm a heretic, too. . .

Of course, that shouldn't come as any surprise. :D

I would like to add the qualification, though, that from an "ultimate" sense of things, there is no "I" that can die. It's not that the "I" ceases to exist, it's simply that there was no "I" there in the first place.

Now, from a "relative" sense of things, the self definitely has existence --- but the problem is that this existence is conditional, finite, and dependent in nature. . .

Somebody else mentioned that their "memories" would go on existing in some future form, but this is something of wishful thinking as I could cause trauma to the hippocampal formation in the back of your skull and most (if not all) of your memories would simply vanish. When the hippocampus decomposes along with the rest of your body, there go all your memoris, too.

That is because your "memories", like all the other finite qualities of the egoic self, are dependent on something else for their existence. Once that "something else" is no longer there, there goes your finite qualities. For example, you'd be surprised how much of your "personality" is influenced by things like hormones, the language you speak, or even the social relationships you have. Those are all gone when your body dies.

If there is some "I" that goes on existing after bodily death, it sure ain't the "I" you identify with when you're alive. It's an entirely different entity.

Of course, as before, all of this is somewhat moot as in the "ultimate" sense, only Unity exists. In fact, all existence is nothing but a manifestation of Unity.

Personally, I think the conception of an "afterlife" is just a symbolic allegory developed by the world's religious traditions to give the less-than-enlightened believers something to live up to and look forward to. The mystics generally realize that "heaven" is within, not "out there". Of course, then there's guys like me who definitely ain't enlightened but have still figured out "heaven" is just an allegorical symbolism. Kind of puts you in a bind.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.

Laterz.
Hey there heretic888 :) and you must explain to me the significance of the 888 to me this is maybe kabbalistic and something that I am certainly ignorant and not aware of the meaning of thank you

And you say there is no "I" which is maybe a question for another day and a very long day I think, ha! and even after reading Reasons and Persons I am still none the wiser to THAT question.... But I will ask in light of that then if there is no "I" and this is just a collection of experiences in the one repository then can I ask what is the point of anyone getting right with God in whichever manifestation you believe. Because if "you" are not actually going to be the person surviving across the threashold of death then why bother pleasing anyone but yourself? I mean what do you care for THAT person that will be taken up (or down) and away because that will not be you? Why would you care if they are saved in grace or not?

Sorry for my limited language at expressing this notion :)

Oh, can I also ask what is your PERSONAL standing with this question?

Thank you,
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
...I will ask you if your "I" ceases to exist then will you not be sad for that "I am" that is currently here roaming in the gloaming and calling himself Jim?

Thank you and I am glad you are liking my beautifully androgynous Gabe well I could think of no more KA angel to look out for me and for all my friends here :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

I don't think I will have any awareness of not being that "I am' you speak of. Instead of this discreet unit of life, I will be part of the larger life that permeates all living things. I think I may like that better :)

And, Gabriel was a bit creepy to me. I didn't trust her from the get-go.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heretic888 said:

1) I love to read Heretic's posts.

B) I disagree with the thrust of your statement quoted above. It's true that my personally stored memories could easily be erased with a well-placed swat; it doesn't erase the events that occurred outside causing the engrams to be placed initially. I wonder if the events of our lives resonate. Is there any reason to believe that such echoes are not absorbed somewhere, collecting themselves, as it were?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dunno. Maybe we move into another life, similar to what we have here but in some other "world" or something. Maybe we are a little wiser, remembering the lessons from this life, maybe not.

Maybe we just come back into a new life here in this world.

Either way, maybe it's cyclical and doesn't ever really end, but is rather a series of lifetimes, one after another.

I'm not sure I buy the notion of going to Heaven or Hell, eternity in paradise or agony, and it's sort of all over at that point. If there is a God, I don't think he would pass ultimate judgement on you based on one lifetime. I think it's too easy to wallow around and get it wrong thru no fault of your own, and I don't think a loving God would judge someone based one go around.

Whatever it is, we will never really know until our time comes. Either way, I am optimistic!

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
1) I love to read Heretic's posts.

B) I disagree with the thrust of your statement quoted above. It's true that my personally stored memories could easily be erased with a well-placed swat; it doesn't erase the events that occurred outside causing the engrams to be placed initially. I wonder if the events of our lives resonate. Is there any reason to believe that such echoes are not absorbed somewhere, collecting themselves, as it were?

I agree with both 1) and B).

I believe events of our lives resonate in the process of karma, and as for the "echoes" collecting themselves, do a Google or Wikipedia search on
"akashic records"......interesting stuff to think about.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way Jenna, I too used to Kick *** and Take Names, but then I thought to myself: What do I care about the names?

Life got less complicated then.
icon12.gif

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I dunno. Maybe we move into another life, similar to what we have here but in some other "world" or something. Maybe we are a little wiser, remembering the lessons from this life, maybe not.

Maybe we just come back into a new life here in this world.

Either way, maybe it's cyclical and doesn't ever really end, but is rather a series of lifetimes, one after another.

I'm not sure I buy the notion of going to Heaven or Hell, eternity in paradise or agony, and it's sort of all over at that point. If there is a God, I don't think he would pass ultimate judgement on you based on one lifetime. I think it's too easy to wallow around and get it wrong thru no fault of your own, and I don't think a loving God would judge someone based one go around.

Whatever it is, we will never really know until our time comes. Either way, I am optimistic!
so how do you know this is not your 10th time and everytime you dont do too well either?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I don't think I will have any awareness of not being that "I am' you speak of. Instead of this discreet unit of life, I will be part of the larger life that permeates all living things. I think I may like that better :)

And, Gabriel was a bit creepy to me. I didn't trust her from the get-go.

Hey Jim :) yes but if you are part of a greater "I" currently in your family your society your country and this planet then it will obviously differ for you after death but how do you think it will differ? Currently you are a discrete unit within a bigger group but how do you see yourself being enjoined to the greater "I" afterwards? Ya know what I cannot get out of my head now... the Borg Collective, ha! Seriously is what you are thinking any way comparable I mean same principle but with heavenly intentions?

And yeah you may be creepy if you were supposed to be a guy but looked a beautiful girl anyway I will not hear that from you Jim my angel is perfect and I can do with all the help right now

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Hey Jim :) yes but if you are part of a greater "I" currently in your family your society your country and this planet then it will obviously differ for you after death but how do you think it will differ? Currently you are a discrete unit within a bigger group but how do you see yourself being enjoined to the greater "I" afterwards? Ya know what I cannot get out of my head now... the Borg Collective, ha! Seriously is what you are thinking any way comparable I mean same principle but with heavenly intentions?

And yeah you may be creepy if you were supposed to be a guy but looked a beautiful girl anyway I will not hear that from you Jim my angel is perfect and I can do with all the help right now

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

I think it would akin to being in the arms of the one you love deep and true. You are individuals, yes; but, the two are a unit, as well. That sort of melding, as it were, I suppose. Hmmm...borg, eh? Maybe a close analogy, actually. But, rather than a hive-mind community, I believe I would simply return to my source and become a part of it.

Hats off to Gabriel, then. I meant no offence.

Latest Discussions