Yong Chun (Wing Chun)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK, I don't know if that's the "official" name. It's just a movement we do in "Section 6" of the Chi-Sau sets (inherited from LT's "WT"). I got the name from my training partner who may have gotten it from LT, from Emin, from Keith Kernspecht, from Jeff Webb or elsewhere, since at one time all these guys were in the same organization. All these organizational splits can sure get confusing! Next time I get together with my training partner, I'll review the technique or "application" and get back to you guys. But just in a general sense, after LT first went back to the mainland in the early 80s, he came back and made several minor changes to the forms, ect. based on what he encountered in Fo'shan. His meetings with Pan Nam were part of that. He as documented this in his books. Gotta run. --Geezer

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My old Sifu was a Yip Man student, but even he adapted one movement we call "Pan Nam hand". Don't know much except that it's useful.

OK, I don't know if that's the "official" name. It's just a movement we do in "Section 6" of the Chi-Sau sets (inherited from LT's "WT"). I got the name from my training partner who may have gotten it from LT, from Emin, from Keith Kernspecht, from Jeff Webb or elsewhere, since at one time all these guys were in the same organization. All these organizational splits can sure get confusing! Next time I get together with my training partner, I'll review the technique or "application" and get back to you guys. But just in a general sense, after LT first went back to the mainland in the early 80s, he came back and made several minor changes to the forms, ect. based on what he encountered in Fo'shan. His meetings with Pan Nam were part of that. He as documented this in his books. Gotta run. --Geezer

It's like locking a bunch of kids in the candy store ... however all of the goodies are behind bullet proof glass. :tantrum::angry:

Stop with the teasing already you old geezer (no pun intended). :p

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Goodies? My attitude is that there really aren't any "secrets" in kung-fu. Just find a good sifu and work hard. All the rest is marketing! About that movement... I don't even remember it clearly... just a name given to one counter in a fairly long training sequence. Sometimes I think our branch has too many complicated training sequences anyway, at least for my brain. But that's another topic. Regardless, I will get back to you after I check this out.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But that is the secret, find a good sifu and hard work.
------------------------------------------------------
I visited with my sifu yesterday in Tucson -110 miles away. Even after doing wing chun
since 1976- I thank my lucky stars and good fortune for the opportunity to be exposed to great teaching of a great art.

Like a great art- after much good practice- it goes beyond technique.

joy chaudhuri

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goodies? My attitude is that there really aren't any "secrets" in kung-fu. Just find a good sifu and work hard. All the rest is marketing! About that movement... I don't even remember it clearly... just a name given to one counter in a fairly long training sequence. Sometimes I think our branch has too many complicated training sequences anyway, at least for my brain. But that's another topic. Regardless, I will get back to you after I check this out.

Agreed.....for so long I couldn't wait to learn more chi sao sections. Now that I've learned the biggest part of them, when my training partner and I get together we either spend the majority of our time practicing 1st section, and/or taking a small sequence from another section and practicing it over and over

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...we either spend the majority of our time practicing 1st section, and/or taking a small sequence from another section and practicing it over and over

Me too. And even then I never get it down the way I want to.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
[/B]

You've arroused my couriosity. What is this movement....could it be something I know by a different name?

OK Yak and Nabakatsu, here's what I've got for you: Check out the old videoclip of Pan Nam's Chum Kiu and note the way he does a very low dai-bong sau and wu sau repeated three times to each side in the second section of the form (2:40-2:50).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt-JnKrI8tg&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Now compare this to the position of the "turning "shoulder-bong-sau" and upward rotating wu-sau used to dissolve a cross-lap and fak sau attack in the WT "sixth section" of chi-sau training (as illustrated in Leung Ting's little book, Chi-Sau V-VII).

If you look at the hand positions of Sifu Parker at the top of page 55, and again at the position of LT at the top of page 58, you will see the resemblance to the low bong and wu-sau demonstrated by Pan Nam in his Chum Kiu. LT refers to his application of this application as kow-bak jar-cheung or "linking-shoulder with palm-strike" but I heard it referred to as "Shoulder-bong and Pan Nam hand" Now I know why. BTW, I thought that video was pretty cool. What about you guys?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

My si-fu refers to that part of section 6 as shoulder bong.

Also, at the beginning of the video, it looks like he is doing a kwan sao from the low crossed gaun sau position. Something that LT has always caught a lot of flak for, from the other lineages

Last edited:

Latest Discussions