Yong Chun (Wing Chun)

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
maybe useful but I wouldnt want to try that blocking a kick with my wrist thing at 4:08-4:11.....OOWCHY!

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, enjoy looking at different forms of other lineage, the weirder the better.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is the fourth empty handed form called Jeet Chi Tao or Intercepting Energy Idea. It was lost or forgotten when Ng Mui left the Shaolin Temple because she didn't know that form yet. The form trains you to strike or hit your opponents with your chi from a distance without having to touch them.

Bruce Lee searched for years and years attempting to re-create this form because he was told a legend about it's existance while training under WSL and YM. The end result was his method of martial arts known as JKD.

No one believed this form existed until recently found in the homeland at a village not far from the Southern Shaolin Temple. This form had been passed down from generation to generation after it was taught by a dying monk, who escaped the temple burning, to a young boy Ng Yong Chun. He kept it secret, only teaching it to family members, and thus passed in the same manner through the years until discovered by American missionaries doing humanitarian work.

(The above told story is completely fiction, but hey, it's possible. No offense is meant to anyone by the tale told, just attempting to bring a little humor to the forum. If I have offended anyone, I am sorry.)

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Definitely a very different interpretation! Favors longer stances, steps, and longer, more looping strikes. I checked it out a little more on Youtube and my impression was that it looked more long-bridge, and mixed with something else. Ceratainly, even the body structure and head position are different. Like Domino, I enjoy seeing "wierd" or obscure variants of WC. Heck, even mainstream WC looked very odd to eyes accustomed to karate when the system first became known in the West. But on the other hand, it wasn't the "oddness" of Yip Man WC/VT/WT that made it hugely popular. It was its effectiveness. That, and Bruce Lee.

So the real question, is whether this stuff is effective.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To the OP:

Do you train with this guy? What lineage is this and what's their story?

Nope I do not train with this guy. The Wing Chun I trained is from Ip Ching.

This is a DVD that was sent to me by my sister-in-law in China. My wife told her I trained Xingyiquan and she sent me this DVD :idunno:

I went out on YouTube to see if it was there and it was so I decided to post it.

All I know is calling it Yong Chun means it is likely from the North of China

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't that Pan Nam lineage?

No, I think you will find this is.

N805PA-A310-PanAm-PIK-July89.jpg

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And so... as I board the Pan Nam, my journey to find the real Jeet Chi Tao continues... I am left only using the feeble concepts of logic, anatomy, physics and kinesiology as guides... :(

But someday, with the help of Internets peoples like Zepedawingchun, geezer, Poor Uke, Xue Sheng Mook Jong Man and the many other helpfule peoples here, I will find the form to knock people down only with my Chi...

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And so... as I board the Pan Nam, my journey to find the real Jeet Chi Tao continues... I am left only using the feeble concepts of logic, anatomy, physics and kinesiology as guides... :(

But someday, with the help of Internets peoples like Zepedawingchun, geezer, Poor Uke, Xue Sheng Mook Jong Man and the many other helpfule peoples here, I will find the form to knock people down only with my Chi...

oh no... your in the wrong section... you're looking for George Dillman...or this guy

Of course I could teach you this...

KEMAHAMAHA

kamehameha.jpg

But I won't :D

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I found the VCD that was sent to me from China and read what it said

Basically this is form someone named Peng Nan who is (or was) in Foshan

From the case

Yong Chun Minor Practice Quan: Xiao Lian Tou is the first and the primary routine of Yong Chun Boxing and the basic exercise to learn barehanded combat techniques. Through the practice of this routine, you can understand how to place your elbow correctly and grasp the defense essentials at the middle part and some attack skills.

The saying "Taiji covers Northern China while Yong Chun leading the South" fully describes the popularity of Yongchun Boxing. Yong Chun Quan (Boxing) is an unusual branch of the martial arts in Southern China. It is Bruce Lee, the contemporary martial artist and actor well known by the West world, who introduces this boxing to the whole world. And Mr. Peng Nan in Foshan, Guangdong Province has developed it into so quick a play that the movements seem invisible. Yong Chun Boxing belongs to the internal boxing style. The force of each movement comes from the internal energy. While playing, your will direct the internal energy and the energy changes into force, with your will, energy and force going in one. This boxing is quite practical in real-life combats. The routines of Peng-style Yong Chun Boxing include Minor Practice, Thrusting Fingers, Seeking Bridge and Wooden Dummy Exercise. The Weapon routines are Butterfly double dagger and Ludianban Cudgel.

Yongchun Quan (Eternal Youth Boxing) originated in Fujian Province, later spreading south to Guangdong, Macao and Hong Kong. Yongchun Quan is just one of a number of styles under the general term, "Nan Quan," the Southern School of Boxing, a vigorous and aggressive school popular south of the Yangtze River.

The Yongchun boxing features: steady stances, generation of forces, three tricks with six forces, fists playing close to one's own body, usage of explosive power, stressing on real combat, focusing on completion of movements, combination of offence and defense by forcing up or crushing down the fists or feet from the opposing side. This style of boxing emphasizes speed of play, keeping fists and feet close to one's body for better protection, as well as to prepare for attacks and fighting the opponent at close range. When fighting, Yongchun boxers contain their chest, arch the back, close their elbows and knees, draw in their ribs, keep their thighs closed to protect the groin. When they use their feet for attack, they must also use their hands in cooperation. When they kick they do not expose their groin and when they deliver fist down, their hands do not leave the front of their body.

Asmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yep, the late Grandmaster Pan Nam. His Wing Chun looks quite interesting.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I could look at least half of this up and to be honest I use to know… but I am now old, lazy and having senior moments so….

Who was Ip Man’s Sifu (or shifu’s) and who was Pan Nam’s sifu (or shifu’s)

I’m not trying to start a problem here it is just that I find this type of stuff fascinating.

Basically I am trying to see how far back you have to go to reach the same shifu, assuming you can actually go that far back factually

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I could look at least half of this up and to be honest I use to know… but I am now old, lazy and having senior moments so….

Who was Ip Man’s Sifu (or shifu’s) and who was Pan Nam’s sifu (or shifu’s)

Yeah, it's hard to keep track of all the finer points of this lineage stuff. Since I'm on a break at work, I don't have any of my books handy, so I went back to Wikipedia, so take this for whatever it's worth. Pan Nam and Yip Man are not that far apart. They both trained in Fo'shan in the Leung Jan - Chan Wah shun lineage. Yip Man learned under Chan Wah Shun briefly and then continued his training under Chan's most prominent student, Ng Chun So, and then later in Hong Kong, Yip is said to have trained with Leung Jan's son, Leung Bic. Pan Nam trained some Hung Gar and then trained WC under Chan Wah Shun's students Jiu Chau and later with Lai Hip Chau (Yip Man's si-hings). Or something like that. Anyway, the Yip Man and Pang Nam branches are fairly close... "cousins" I guess.

My old Sifu was a Yip Man student, but even he adapted one movement we call "Pan Nam hand". Don't know much except that it's useful.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to keep track of all the finer points of this lineage stuff. Since I'm on a break at work, I don't have any of my books handy, so I went back to Wikipedia, so take this for whatever it's worth. Pan Nam and Yip Man are not that far apart. They both trained in Fo'shan in the Leung Jan - Chan Wah shun lineage. Yip Man learned under Chan Wah Shun briefly and then continued his training under Chan's most prominent student, Ng Chun So, and then later in Hong Kong, Yip is said to have trained with Leung Jan's son, Leung Bic. Pan Nam trained some Hung Gar and then trained WC under Chan Wah Shun's students Jiu Chau and later with Lai Hip Chau (Yip Man's si-hings). Or something like that. Anyway, the Yip Man and Pang Nam branches are fairly close... "cousins" I guess.

My old Sifu was a Yip Man student, but even he adapted one movement we call "Pan Nam hand". Don't know much except that it's useful.

You've arroused my couriosity. What is this movement....could it be something I know by a different name?

Latest Discussions