Yikes! Look what happened at my favorite surf spot!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enter the ocean: put yourself smack dab at the bottom of the food chain, and in God's hands. Be as "wary" as you like, it won't make a bit of difference......:lfao:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know they are there and I've watched small ones swim under me. The thought of meeting a a large one makes my ******* snap shut.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny I was just out in the ocean at Santa Monica over the weekend and when over my head it did make me a little leery. Still it was fun!

However, Elder999 puts it right in that when entering the ocean we put ourselves at the bottom of the food chain! ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Enter the ocean: put yourself smack dab at the bottom of the food chain, and in God's hands. Be as "wary" as you like, it won't make a bit of difference......:lfao:

I have told people for years that I do not like to swim in the Ocean because I have a real big problem with being on the beach looking at the ocean, being the Apex predator and taking one small step into the water and finding I have taken the fast track to the bottom of the food chain.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know they are there and I've watched small ones swim under me. The thought of meeting a a large one makes my ******* snap shut.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

I've mentioned before that I come from a seafaring family. I learned to swim before I could walk(literally), started learning to sail when I was 4, and started surfing when I was 12.

Don't want that sphincter snapped shut feeling so much? Don't think about it. It does no good anyway. Look at what happened to Bethany Hamilton, right there where you are:

[yt]sl1xeiD-ArU[/yt]

Chatting one minute, amputee the next. Great metaphor for life in general, don't you think? Worry, be wary, think about it or not, it will add not one second to your life.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's different then being on land. I feel like when I'm going out on trail, I can do a lot more to make myself unattractive to animals that want to eat me and to defend myself against animals that might try. Yeah, it's still possible to become lunch, but it's different. In the ocean, you are at it's mercy. It's so big and there is nothing you can do because you are literally out of your element. That's daunting...and it probably should be.

The Hawaiians said, "Mai huli `oe i kokua o ke kai!"

I say, "Malama."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have enormous sharks here, they come for the summer and spend their time going up the west coast. I was out on a 'sea safari' when we saw one. Gives you a start when you see the fin but then you remember these are basking sharks and only eat plankton! The one I saw dived dived away to avoid a pod of dolphins, watching them was magic!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions