Too bad they didn't do this last month...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, Bob...

Don't you wish this was already passed? :uhyeah:

Actually, I think it's a dumb idea, even considering how much empty road they sometimes have. Too damn fast, too damn easy for too much to go wrong... and make a huge mess.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yay.
Now ye Texans can drive even faster! This most definately will not increase the chance of Fatalities in Collissions!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just wish their "Revenue" agents could read a radar unit. SOB says I was doing 80. Funny, how I was being passed but they weren't stopped. Also funny how my -digital- dash said I was under 75, and my GPS unit said so too. But I know that he 'calibrated his unit that very morning to exacting standards' etc. At least NY doesn't recognize TX points. lol.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A while ago Top Gear did a drive with that outrageously powerful Buguatti Veyron and I posted the vid here on MT. Watching that (even now) I can't even imagine driving that fast. My mind keeps going to the thought "if he twitches the steering wheel wrong just a little bit" he's all over the road and end up as a smear on one of the trees that lines the track. Out in the Utah, Nevada border there's are nice long, 7-8 mile straightaways that people just zip along down at whatever top speed their vehicle can muster. Again just one wrong twitch of the wheel and they're a permanent part of that desert... at least until it's cleaned up.

Now if they had some way of creating a slotted track that would help keep the car ON the road then okay I reckon, provided that the driver doesn't consider this an "auto-drive" and decides to take quick nap. They still gotta be able to apply the brakes at a moment's notice or at least bloody hell slow down.
I'd rather they spent the effort building a long over due bullet-train coast to coast.
No, there's no effort in raising the speed limit but there's a lot more effort keeping abreast of it. More work for police and EMS.
Those who think that the number of accidents will go down, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree. Having driven cross country several times ... there aren't really that many GREAT drivers ... especially for those type of speeds. 55-65, yeah people seem to have gotten the hang of it, but I've come across too many who zipped past me and find them 5 miles later off the road or tangled with another vehicle.