Year 1906

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YEAR 1906

Show this to your children and grandchildren

?? THE YEAR 1906??

This will boggle your mind, I know it did mine!

The year is 1906.
One hundred years ago.
What a difference a century makes!
Here are some statistics for the Year 1906:

The average life expectancy was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!

The average wage was 22 cents per hour.

The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME.

Ninety percent of all doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION! Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as "substandard."

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.

Five leading causes of death were:

1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was only 30!!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write.

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy
to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health." ( Shocking? DUH! )

Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A.!

Now I forwarded this from someone else without typing It myself, and sent it to you and others all over the United States & Canada Possibly the world, in a matter of seconds!

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I fear that, unless we find a new way of contracting business, then you may well find that 2106 will be frighteningly similar to 1906 as the world economy will go down the pan for the simple reason that constant growth is not a sustainable proposition (just for the record, I'm a qualified economist so that's not loony communist scaremongering but rather what the courts would call expert testimony).

Of course, a quick peruse of the 'Doomsday' thread will prove to all that we really don't have to worry about such matters. As Douglas Adams might have said, the simplest way not to worry about the economy is not to have one :D.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Interesting statistics. Thanks for posting.

I read a book about the great influenza pandemic ~1918 which went into a lot of detail about the state of the medical profession worlwide at that time. I was amazed at how unscientific the profession was, especially in the USA. There were a few people following a scientific based discipline but they were the exception and many of the great medical schools, like Johns Hopkins, were just getting started.

We've come a long way baby.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect it's the same over there but we get people going on about the 'good old days' and saying it should be like that again.The belief is everything was better way back when. It's pointed out you could buy a house for a couple of hundred pound not hundreds of thousands like now but these people always forget that when you only earnt a couple of pounds a week a few hundred was a big a fortune as a hundred thousand now. I don't think we do actually appreciate what we have now.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Take me back to those good old days when Drugs was the ticket to stardom

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Imagine the martial art world at that time.

Well, if it were a hundred years ago...as a woman, I wouldn't be allowed to even think about martial arts...

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The average life expectancy was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

We often say that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It is nice to remember that now we worry about the poor being too fat and the typical poor person has two televisions. Despite the problems we have, and that we are working on, it is nice to see that the life expectancy and such have improved.

If you talk to your parents or grandparents, they tend to look back on the old days with fondness. But ask them how some of their relatives died and you will hear some horrifying stories of people dying of things that would never happen in modern America. People starved to death. They died of things like TB and diarea. If they had mental problems, they were lucky if they got locked in some ward and forgotten. Women frequently died in childbirth. Blacks could not vote in most places, could not go to the same school as whites and lived in fear of the government and KKK.

Damn, I'm glad to be living in the 21st century.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The only easy day was yesterday. I posit that life probably "felt" pretty much the same to them, back then, as it does to us today.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Imagine the martial art world at that time.

An interesting situation indeed! I'll just cover a few Okinawan / Japanese arts items:

Gichin Funakoshi was in his mid-30's.

Karate had not been introduced to Japan just yet, still primarily being in Okinawa.

The 10 precepts of Karate were still but thoughts swirling around in Itosu Ankoh's head.

Ohtsuka Hironori was still a child, and had no exposure to Karate, and recently became a student of Nakayama in Jiu Jitsu.

Latest Discussions