Yard Sale Season

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my neighbors organized a neighborhood yard sale for next weekend, and I've decided that this is the perfect opportunity to clear out some of the junk that's been accumulating; with 30-40 homes in the area participating, advertising already paid for, book, clothing, and furniture resellers notified, it doesn't really seem to matter that I don't have as much stuff as I might usually want to attract customers. However, it's been years since I sold stuff at a yard sale, and I have no idea how to price much of it. I'm not too worried about pricing it too low, as anything that doesn't sell is going to Goodwill, but at the same time, if I can make some money, so much the better! Here are some of the things I'm selling - any ideas on pricing would be appreciated.

Hardcover science fiction

Paperback - most science fiction, but some other fiction

Puzzles

30" x 30" puzzle mats (the kind you use on the floor under treadmills - it's a long story, but I have >100 of them)

Assorted knick-knacks - when I cleaned out the basement last year, I set aside a pile of yard sale items, but I have to go down and bring the stuff up, and I don't remember what's in there right now.

Notepads

Calendar white board - never used

Chalkboard (2' x 3') - used

Anyone have a yard sale lately who can give me some ideas on pricing?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't really help, Karen, being from the other side of the Pond but, when it comes to the books, do a little research on the Net just to make sure you haven't got any hidden gems in there {like "Sold for a Spaceship" by Phillip E. High - I had a hardback of this as a 'teen and let it go for normal 'scrap' book prices ... :faints:}.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't really help, Karen, being from the other side of the Pond but, when it comes to the books, do a little research on the Net just to make sure you haven't got any hidden gems in there {like "Sold for a Spaceship" by Phillip E. High - I had a hardback of this as a 'teen and let it go for normal 'scrap' book prices ... :faints:}.

Thanks - but they're mostly duplicates of books I already have; my father moved to Jerusalem not quite 2 years ago, and gave me a bunch of his books to save on shipping costs - but he and I read a lot of the same authors, and I already had many of the books he gave me, all of them published after 2000 or so. But I do appreciate the reminder to check values!

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nope can’t help you on pricing but as an idea, since making money is just an added bonus for you, make this an opportunity for training. Some ideas to focus on such as learning/practicing how to read people, learning/practicing how to communicate with people as well as negotiation skills can all be practiced. Simply put “Make Offer” on the items and then have fun, barter and joke with the people that come by.

An observation/training your instincts exercise that I enjoy when around strangers is to try to find out a little something about each of them and see if it coincides with your prior observations (a few of the simpler things, current/prior military service, current/prior law enforcement or criminal experience, land of origin/birth, right or left handed, past injuries/surgeries etc.)

Have fun
Brian King

PS have some colored chalk for the board and some pens for the white board so that children can entertain themselves and have a small cooler with cans of soda and sell the cans to the thirsty buyers. A buck a can is not unreasonable for a garage sale.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
NO matter what price you set customers are going to want to bargain with you. Or you may want to bargain with them.

Set a price that you feel is fair and would not mind going down from there that way both you and the customer will feel like they are getting a good deal good luck and have fun!!

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The joy of the barter system! Yardsales usually go off without hitch and both sides seem to be happy in the end. I like it.

Latest Discussions