Yahoo: Dana White interview: In the UFC, Herschel Walker would die

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
02-15-2010 06:36 PM:

Herschel Walker and Jose Canseco have gotten way too much coverage from the mainstream media according to UFC president Dana White and he's sick of it. Before and after his Strikeforce fight, Walker has appeared all ESPN television and radio.

"Herschel Walker is like 50 years old and it&rsquo;s a cool little fun hobby," White told Gridlock on ESPNRadio1100 in Las Vegas."You know what makes me crazy is the media attention it got. ESPN will cover Herschel Walker fighting when you got guys like George St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, Brock Lesnar, and B.J. Penn. All these great athletes that have been training for years and are the best in the sport and you are talking about Herschel Walker? Then you start talking about Walker possibly fighting Jose Canseco? Oh my god, give me a break."

For many casual fans, after seeing Walker all over ESPN, the natural question is why isn't Walker in the UFC?

"Hell no. You know what would happen to Herschel Walker over here? It would be the first death in MMA," said White. "He wasn&rsquo;t impressive in his first fight; he would have to turn it up for the next three or four."

That seems to be a bit of a stretch. Walker can compete as a low level light heavyweight or heavyweight. His conditioning and heart can't be worse than Rolles Gracie, who just got one fight with the UFC at UFC 109, gassed out in three minutes and quit in the second round.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions