Xingyiquan Five Elements Staff

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you use

- single head staff, you hold it on one end like to hold a spear.
- double heads staff, you divide the staff in 3 equal parts. You then hold on the 1/3 and 2/3 spots.

The nothern staff is most 2 heads staff. This way you can strike it with both ends. If you release one hand, you can have 2/3 reach on both sides.

The following staff form is a "2 heads" staff form. You can see the hands holding position is different from the XY staff form posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool! Different from the Okinawan and Filipino staff I've studied before, too--such a simple weapon, so many options.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When you use

- single head staff, you hold it on one end like to hold a spear.
- double heads staff, you divide the staff in 3 equal parts. You then hold on the 1/3 and 2/3 spots.

The nothern staff is most 2 heads staff. This way you can strike it with both ends. If you release one hand, you can have 2/3 reach on both sides.

The following staff form is a "2 heads" staff form. You can see the hands holding position is different from the XY staff form posted.

I use to do a staff form from Chángquán so I now think Isee what you are talking about...but in Xingyiquan 5 elements staff it does useboth ends, it just favors the longer end and the back is more for a closestrike.The form was allegedly based on the spear, which has a side withpoint and a side with no point and the side with the point is used a bit more.

Look at the traditional Chen taijiquan and Yang taijiquan staff forms and you will see something similar. However the staff used for those forms is much longer than what you see in the Xingyi video

Last edited by a moderator:

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm certainly no expert on Hsing-I, but I was always under the impression that it came from spear work in the first lace. So it would make perfect sense that the staff work they use would be more single ended than double.

Latest Discussions